Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Issue Recently

So I bought a Ford Fiesta St 2014 with 48,000 miles. I got my first problem of my clutch getting stuck to the floor but after pulling it back up with my foot and pumping it a few times it feels normal but then gets stuck again to the floor. I took it to a ford dealer yesterday. They said I need a whole new clutch kit that’s around $2,000. Do you guys think that’s worth it or correct. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they just said “you bought it as is” so there’s no way their gonna help or get any sense of warranty. I really didn’t do anything stupid like dump the clutch or even make it slip to the point where I can destroy the clutch in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well first off they quoted you at dealership prices for the clutch job you shoudl check independant shops. Second off how long ago did you buy it? Regardless of as is California has a 30 day return policy on purchased goods and a car falls into that because you bought it from a Dealer. Did you buy it from a non Ford dealer?

Also it sounds like a failure of the hydraulic system aka clutch master or slave. The clutch itself could be fine . If you do not know your waynaround this stuff I would have an independent shop look at the hydraulics.

Last edited:
Go to an independent shop. Dealers always charge more for anything- especially big jobs like a clutch.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Generally speaking and avoiding the use of too much detail and jargon, the clutch pedal pushes on an adjustable length rod, which in-turn pushes on the clutch master cylinder, which in-turn uses fluid to transmit power to the slave cylinder, which in-turn pushes on the transmission clutch fork, which pushes against a bearing, which pushes on the springs, which in-turn disengages the clutch disc from the engine flywheel. The bearing is only necessary because the springs on the clutch cover spring diaphram, are spinning... where as the clutch release fork of course isn't.

While your foot is responsible for generating the mechanical force needed to separate the transmission from the engine, the clutch cover spring diaphram is responsible for the return force. If those springs break loose or are damaged, this is nearly always accompanied by some very unusual noises that you cannot ignore.

http://d1hw7lidb7g0nl.cloudfront.ne.../01/Screen-Shot-2017-02-02-at-10.00.46-AM.png

https://i1.wp.com/mechstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif?resize=600,338

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3f100a83b3bdc9647a533871c21f3df2-c

Since you haven't mentioned any such noises, and such failures are relatively rare, it is more likely that the intermittent failure is with some part of the clutch hydraulic system.

First thing you'll want to do is check the fluid level for the clutch hydraulics. The fluid reservoir is somewhat shared by the brake hydraulics. For safety, that reservoir is compartmentalized. Shine a STRONG light on that reservoir and check to see whether the fluid, on the clutch side, is low or drained. The clutch master cylinder can leak internally or externally. The slave cylinder can only leak externally. So depending on whether you're losing any fluid, you can get an idea on where you might be able to first cast your scrutinous eye.

Was anyone able to find out the root cause of this? I'm having the same issue with my car and I'd really like to be able to drive it without concern this summer.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
My buddy had this issue. Started out getting stuck here and there then eventually got stranded. If remember right was bad clutch master cylinder. I wanna say was like 500-600 at ford dealer to fix

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I bought a Ford Fiesta St 2014 with 48,000 miles. I got my first problem of my clutch getting stuck to the floor but after pulling it back up with my foot and pumping it a few times it feels normal but then gets stuck again to the floor.
OK. This doesn't mean the clutch is fried. It has to do with it not coming back up like a normal pedal would.
I took it to a ford dealer yesterday. They said I need a whole new clutch kit that’s around $2,000. Do you guys think that’s worth it or correct. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they just said “you bought it as is” so there’s no way their gonna help or get any sense of warranty. I really didn’t do anything stupid like dump the clutch or even make it slip to the point where I can destroy the clutch in two weeks.
They're fucking you over. Talk to someone else. This will cost you, but they're trying to fuck you.
Fuck them.
Fuck stealerships, in general.

So I bought a Ford Fiesta St 2014 with 48,000 miles. I got my first problem of my clutch getting stuck to the floor but after pulling it back up with my foot and pumping it a few times it feels normal but then gets stuck again to the floor. I took it to a ford dealer yesterday. They said I need a whole new clutch kit that’s around $2,000. Do you guys think that’s worth it or correct. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they just said “you bought it as is” so there’s no way their gonna help or get any sense of warranty. I really didn’t do anything stupid like dump the clutch or even make it slip to the point where I can destroy the clutch in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just had my 2014 fail at 47xxx miles too, this is a known issue that we should raise a bigger stink about. Mine was a few months out of warranty when it happened so it cost $$$$ as well. Many people hit that mileage in warranty but I did not. I submitted it here; https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ we know its a run of bad parts as many people with 14's and 40-50k miles have had this issue.

Was also going to say slave cylinder - same thing happened to me driving my Miata in traffic.. had to pull the clutch up then pump it to get into 1st gear then limped to a shop down the road. ...That was fun...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not that I ever needed to replace it, but the prior vehicle has the slave cylinder on the outside of the transmission. Makes way more sense and was cake to inspect for leakage, cake to get to. Why they're engineering vehicles in general with the slave cylinder on the inside of the transmission I have no clue. They have rubber seals and it's way hotter inside that bell housing versus being on the outside-frontish of the trans where it gets the benefit of airflow. If they're going to stick them inside, they should at least provide an easy access cover, similar to what they do with fuel pumps that are inside tanks. Having to remove the entire transmission just to do a slave makes as much sense as having to remove the bumper to replace a headlight bulb... or a fender to replace a battery... or pull an engine to do an alternator... (<-- yes manufacturers have done ALL that BS)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not that I ever needed to replace it, but the prior vehicle has the slave cylinder on the outside of the transmission. Makes way more sense and was cake to inspect for leakage, cake to get to. Why they're engineering vehicles in general with the slave cylinder on the inside of the transmission I have no clue. They have rubber seals and it's way hotter inside that bell housing versus being on the outside-frontish of the trans where it gets the benefit of airflow. If they're going to stick them inside, they should at least provide an easy access cover, similar to what they do with fuel pumps that are inside tanks. Having to remove the entire transmission just to do a slave makes as much sense as having to remove the bumper to replace a headlight bulb... or a fender to replace a battery... or pull an engine to do an alternator... (<-- yes manufacturers have done ALL that BS)
Its modern thing like dual mass flywheels. 350Z’s are the same way slave on the inside of the bell housing. They also have a dual mass flywheel like we do.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Its modern thing like dual mass flywheels. 350Z’s are the same way slave on the inside of the bell housing. They also have a dual mass flywheel like we do.
Despite being an additional point of failure, there are specific benefits in having DMF versus standard flywheel. Are you aware of any benefits for internal slave cylinder mounting?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Despite being an additional point of failure, there are specific benefits in having DMF versus standard flywheel. Are you aware of any benefits for internal slave cylinder mounting?
Actually there is a reason for it. Its called a concentric slave cylinder and the throwout bearing is attached directly to the output shaft of the slave eliminating the old school throwout forks. Idea being more compact setup less moving parts. More concise performance.
A lot of modern manuals are being built this way. I mentioned the Z because it was the first time I came in contact with a setup like that. Its become more common since.