Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch pedal sticking down, still engaging

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's pretty rough on the engine/transmission mounts. Be a good idea to check them all. Can't imagine how that would affect the clutch pedal unless a hose is kinked or collapsing internally. Visual inspection doesn't always spot a bad one though. (mount or multi-layer hose)

i just got a 2016 FiST Saturday and during the test drive the clutch pedal did the same thing and cause me to stall. Couldn't recreate it on the way back to the dealership but i brought it up and they bled the system again (they had just changed the clutch). They told me it was due to the hill start assist, i turned that off through the menu and it hasnt happend again. Probably a noob fix for it but thought i would chime in..

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hill assist supposedly engages the rear brake; presumably employing ABS.

Blaming Hill Assist for a clutch pedal sticking to the floor, amounts to a hill of beans. (pun intended)

Re Hill Assist, I suspect they were *only* referring to you stalling the engine. Hill Assist working properly, shouldn't contribute to that either though. Typically it helps those who are learning the clutch, as opposed to hurts. If it's not releasing then something is wrong; and not necessarily with Hill Assist, since it is merely a bit of programming that relies on interlyncing other systems.

I'll have to keep driving it and see if it happens again and report back if it does.

That all makes sense, probably bad info from the dealer saying the clutch does something with hill assist. either way i turned it off, dont need that anyway.

Mine always did some jerky stuff with hill assist but as far as I know it only controls the brakes of the car, I doubt it is somewhat related to clutch as previously said. As for my experience is either a master or slave cylinder issue.

Spork1569

I'll have to keep driving it and see if it happens again and report back if it does.

That all makes sense, probably bad info from the dealer saying the clutch does something with hill assist. either way i turned it off, dont need that anyway.
My 2016 FiST had the same issue before I traded it in, every so often it would stick but I could pull it up with my shoe.

From reading around it's possible the slave cylinder is going out, it's a common occurrence apparently.

They're gonna replace the slave cylinder and the throwout bearing. 33,000 miles and still covered under powertrain warranty. They didn't hassle me at all about whether or not it'd been tuned/modded.

Update, since replacing the engine and transmission entirely I haven't had the problem anymore- I transferred the 150 mile old Fidanza flywheel and OEM clutch/slave/pressure plate I had just put on the old setup over to the new one and did nothing else, so I am still lost for why it was happening in the first place. It happened with the 145k engine, transmission, and original clutch, flywheel, and slave on it and it happened with all new clutch, plate, flywheel, and slave, but not now with the same new parts bolted to a younger engine and transmission. Weird. I'd think I hadn't bled all the air out, except that it was happening on the old engine before and after in exactly the same circumstances and in the same way. I'm just glad it stopped now. lol

It's been around 300 miles since the drivetrain swap, BTW- given that it was doing the same thing immediately after changing the clutch before I *assume* it would be doing it by now if it were going to, but... who knows. lol

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I wonder if you can get a dial indicator on the input shaft of the trans and the hole it goes in on the crank. Maybe something starts self clearancing after a while? Or something got bent on a hard launch??

Whelp, at 495 miles since the swap the clutch pedal stuck to the floor again this morning- I notice it's just not returning, as soon as I took my foot off the pedal it disengaged the clutch and I was able to drive in the selected gear, but obviously couldn't switch to another one, so I can't imagine it's a hydraulic issue or the clutch would have remained engaged... right? Very weird. It's much colder out now than it was a few months ago, so the fact that it didn't do it until I was 45 minutes from home might still be indicating a heat issue but it isn't like I'm out here boiling the fluid on the way to work... lol.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thats very troublesome. Did you ever replace the clutch master at any point. I cant remember.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I assume there's a host linking the engine/trans (on flexible mounts) to the clutch master (solidly mounted on the firewall). Was this hose replaced?

Yeah, it is about a foot and a half of hard line and a foot of hose. I used the one from the newer transmission I swapped into the car, so it isn't the same line. I'm borrowing a power bleeder from a friend to make absolutely sure there is no air anywhere this weekend.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I reverse bled mine with a hypodermic plunger and a piece of hose. My friend snapped the bleeder off his fist trying to open the bleeder under pressure.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk