Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure Used or New - Fiesta ST - DG9Z-7A564-B - Report it

Added poll under warranty area too. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/clutch-related-issues-poll-fiesta-st.25566/

If you have had a slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder failure happen, new replacement, low mileage failure or otherwise, report it here as a reply, and additionally, take time to report it at https://www.nhtsa.gov/ and https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fiesta/ also. Report Year, Mileage, general area of the country you are in, and any correlation that you might think might give clues, like right after a really couple of hot days, etc.

I recently ran into an issue on my 2015 Fiesta St, the dreaded Slave Cylinder, clutch foot pedal to the floor, pump it up and it works for a while, but then happens again.

With the mileage approaching 60,000 I opted to do a full clutch replacement and use a highly recommended local shop very familiar with all aspects of Ford Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Mustangs, Subaru WRX, FWD and AWD engine and drivetrain mods and repairs, stock to wild.

We all know that you have to take everything down to get to the slave cylinder anyway so I specified and the shop agreed, to use Ford factory OEM Clutch Assembly P/N C1BZ-7B546-J and of course an Ford OEM DG9Z-7A564-B slave cylinder. After the installation and car buttoned up, the new OEM slave cylinder failed, would not bleed, and leaked right off the bat, didn't even get the car off the lift.

I had the ST moved to the local Ford dealer, they then investigated this issue using their shop and technician, they found no fault in the installation of the clutch assembly or the clutch slave cylinder and confirmed that it was indeed leaking, and was a genuine Ford replacement part, interesting process but professional. Note: Ford OEM CV2Z-7A543-A Clutch Master Cylinder at the time of this posting, does not seem to be available, my Ford part source tried to find one around the country with no success, really wanted that replaced too. It does seem odd that the clutch slave is available, but the clutch master cylinder replacement is not, is this a high usage part?

I started to research this possible issue and read on various forums in the US and UK, that that there are two common failures, clutch pedal to the floor, full or partial failure of the slave, or failure of a new slave cylinder either during install and bleed or shortly after the car is back on the road. I noted there was no pattern in the installations but it appears to be random, home shop, 3rd party shop or even Ford Dealer service centers.

Installing a "new" out of the box OEM DG9Z-7A564-B slave cylinder only to have it fail during a service/clutch replacement, whether at a shop or at home, causes major headaches due to the cost of labor it takes to get to the unit. In some reported cases the brake/clutch fluid saturates the disc and causes other issues.

Having a clutch slave fail while in traffic with mileage lower than 65,000 is also a safety concern, as most will attest, the factory ST clutch is a good unit and many go for very high mileage without issue, however seems the hydraulics seem to be an area of concern, this may be due in some instances to associated under-hood temperatures on units in the field, don't know about what is going on with random factory OEM replacements.

Again, if you have had a slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder failure happen, new replacement, low mileage failure or otherwise, report it here as a reply, and additionally, take time to report it at https://www.nhtsa.gov/ and https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fiesta/ also.
Report Year, Mileage, general area of the country you are in, and any correlation that you might think might give clues, like right after a really couple of hot days, etc.

I made inquiries to some individuals that want to remain anonymous at FORD dealers and quietly they have acknowledged the issue, but many don't seem to be aware either. So have you had it happen to you, or know someone on the list that has, heard anything from your Ford dealer?

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
During a replacement of the clutch, disc and slave, all OEM parts, the new OEM part right out of the box failed, would not bleed, and leaked right off the bat, didn't even get off the lift.
I'm willing to bet you / the shop installed the clutch disc backwards, blamed the slave, had you get another one, and then did it correctly.

These are not KNOWN for failure, premature, or otherwise. It is SUGGESTED to be replaced any time the transmission is dropped because its right there and its a $30 part.

No one at Ford is corroborating this, if anything they are getting confused about the clutch parts failures in the automatic fiestas.

Source: 4 Fiesta ST household, two are racecars, one has 90k miles, never had this issue.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I work at a dealer. You're full of it and made at your failure and need to blame somebody else but self.

Fiesta's don't even have clutch issues like Focus do

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #5
I work at a dealer. You're full of it and made at your failure and need to blame somebody else but self.

Fiesta's don't even have clutch issues like Focus do
Do you actually do any research? I guess you really do work for a dealership and your interest is where?

I am not here to cause issues, just ask if this is more common than reported by our own members, which have, us, uk, and the shop that did the work is one that works on Focus STs, Rs, Fiesta STs and they have seen this more than once on OEM out of the box replacements, and also is the reason the local dealership under direction of Ford corporate is warranting the replacement under the ford OEM defective parts policy in this situation, so why the attack? Fellow member?

I wanted, asked for and had Ford OEM parts purchased which our fellow members and I am sure you as well, support that they are usually better quality than aftermarket more expensive units, especially in the clutch area.

I am 60 years old, love my Fiesta ST daily driver and have 40 years of hands on mechanic experience, racing, engine rebuilds, clutch, automatic, drivetrain, chassis, suspension work and have been making my way into tuning ECM/PCM Tuning, working with turbo/EFI since the mid 80s when it just started to be the way of the future. Former owner of daily driver and street raced 87 Grand National, 1992 GMC Syclone, 1992 GMC Typhoon, Mazda RX2 Turbo Rotary non efi, 73 455 4 speed Trans/AM and many others such as a 1969 GTO Ram Air III Judge, so respectfully, you were born when and been doing this how long?

Last edited:
OP
Redty
Thread Starter #6
I'm willing to bet you / the shop installed the clutch disc backwards, blamed the slave, had you get another one, and then did it correctly.

These are not KNOWN for failure, premature, or otherwise. It is SUGGESTED to be replaced any time the transmission is dropped because its right there and its a $30 part.

No one at Ford is corroborating this, if anything they are getting confused about the clutch parts failures in the automatic fiestas.

Source: 4 Fiesta ST household, two are racecars, one has 90k miles, never had this issue.
For the record the car is at the dealership now, and they confirmed " no fault" on the local shop install, which does a lot of Focus ST, RS, and Fiesta ST work, not their first rodeo, or first OEM out of the box failure, and as many have reported the pedal to the floor issues on this forum, I can concede owner error and seen that before too, and would have done the work myself, but with a shoulder injury and associated surgery/recovery and no chance of doing this myself (40 years experience in auto mechanics) anytime soon so I chose a shop that has good references, what would you do? What is the reason for your attack? Ford corporate has been very gracious in the matter, approved the repair, so your issue is.....????

Last edited:
OP
Redty
Thread Starter #8
As a representative of Ford and dealerships, what is your interest in this? Your replies and insights are just off the scale on intelligence and thoughtfulness, I guess I will still be crying, that you don't offer help to the list, just criticism and possible suppression of issues? boo hoo?

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Ford corporate has been very gracious in the matter, approved the repair,
It is very good to hear that Ford is going to repair this for you.
It is also great that you provided the web address in your first post for those that wish to complain to Ford directly.
It is my understanding that it takes a great magnitude of complaints, investigations, and time before a TSB or recall is issued.
So, all that really can be done is to wait and those that wish to complain, here or elsewhere, can.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is the reason for your attack?
Baseless complaints that have little actual occurrence in the real world. It sounded, to me, that you were looking to complain for complaining sake. It also looked like you were trying to get information together to start a formal complaint / class action for a problem that doesn't exist just to get your money back.

Ford corporate has been very gracious in the matter, approved the repair, so your issue is.....????
If Ford is covering the repair, at a dealership, after a non Ford shop did the work (which is extremely uncommon and you are very lucky). Then why were you asking in the first place? It's being covered, why bother keep complaining about it. If enough people want to complain then ok fine have at your class action but this isn't a common failure part. Like I said before 9 out of 10 times it fails due to installer error.

PunkST

2000 Post Club

Look on the forum even here, its getting pretty crowded with clutch issue threads. Hell even my own car is having issues, which is why it will be gone next year.

My new 2019, first summer, less than 10k miles, and I had one incident where on a long hot drive going like 80 for over an hour, when I pulled off to get gas and the clutch was super weird, I don't remember exactly how, spongy or mushy or soft or not returning quickly or some such like that. Definitely seemed heat related.

If you told me there's some defect in the slave cylinder design that is particularly susceptible to heat, I'd believe it.

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #14
My new 2019, first summer, less than 10k miles, and I had one incident where on a long hot drive going like 80 for over an hour, when I pulled off to get gas and the clutch was super weird, I don't remember exactly how, spongy or mushy or soft or not returning quickly or some such like that. Definitely seemed heat related.

If you told me there's some defect in the slave cylinder design that is particularly susceptible to heat, I'd believe it.
Interesting, keep us apprised of any issues related to heat, or if any failure occurs with the pedal going to the floor, my ST in hindsight did the same thing in a trip here in Texas. Thus the reason for my additional comment. and thanks for your reply and comment.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Mine also started on a very hot day after a 3 hour trip to another town. Right when i got into that town. Was about 95 degrees and i was running the A/C the whole time that run. Literally no issues before. The slave is a cheap 40 dollar part. But its really not up to the task.

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #16
Baseless complaints that have little actual occurrence in the real world. It sounded, to me, that you were looking to complain for complaining sake. It also looked like you were trying to get information together to start a formal complaint / class action for a problem that doesn't exist just to get your money back.

If Ford is covering the repair, at a dealership, after a non Ford shop did the work (which is extremely uncommon and you are very lucky). Then why were you asking in the first place? It's being covered, why bother keep complaining about it. If enough people want to complain then ok fine have at your class action but this isn't a common failure part. Like I said before 9 out of 10 times it fails due to installer error.
Well not that uncommon, FORD is working hard to repair public trust of their OEM parts, and thus there are warranty aspects that are covered in the FORD warranty policy that even dealers are not aware of, one that not of a lot of manufacturers embrace, as I did PM you, I only want to make sure none of us are at risk, let alone family. I actually don't agree with your perception that this is not a common failure, field or replacement, as our own list has 3+ threads on conditions that related to Clutch Slave Cylinder failures, field or new.
Would Hyundai cover your 2020 Veloster N Performance in the future in such a way? OEM parts installed by another shop or yourself?

OP
Redty
Thread Starter #17
Mine also started on a very hot day after a 3 hour trip to another town. Right when i got into that town. Was about 95 degrees and i was running the A/C the whole time that run. Literally no issues before. The slave is a cheap 40 dollar part. But its really not up to the task.
Well it is in basically an oven, there is not much venting or cooling in the area where it resides so an interesting thought, is it not? Should this issue be under warranty and related issues?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ive been out of warranty for over 20k miles. Pkus the clutch assembly is a wear item. So it would be difficult to have ford replace it. And impossible on their dime. Ive made up my mind to go back to stock ish and trade the car for a wrx or sti. The other blue oval still makes cars that are fun.

Thanks for this info @Redty. I'm going to report my issues under the links your provided hoping it can make a difference for others.
I shared this in one of the other threads, but yeah, I've had this happen at 30,000 miles. The dealer replaced my slave cylinder and throwout bearing under warranty. And yes, the problems first showed up for me on a hot humid day too; after that, it did it on a regular basis typically once a day.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Look on the forum even here, its getting pretty crowded with clutch issue threads. Hell even my own car is having issues, which is why it will be gone next year.
I know you have been having all kinds of issues with your car, and that really sucks. (definitely don't get a WRX or STi, they have even more issues)

Maybe I'm not paying attention here much anymore. But I am still active in my local ST/RS group (I am one of the admins and organizers). The amount of clutch issues we see on any of the cars in the group is minimal. This is a varied group of over 200 cars that all have different mods and different uses. The small portion of the group that regularly tracks their cars has never seen a clutch issue besides wear, we have never had one go bad in the most extreme and trying of conditions: racing.

So far here the consensus is that hot weather causes the failure, I have to disagree as we are based in Florida and regularly have overheating issues but none drivetrain related. I'd wager to say that the overwhelming issue is the quality of the input and secondary shaft bearings which are known to constantly fail. I've put 3 transmissions in one of our FiSTs for this, we always replace the slave and haven't had one of them fail. The singular occurrence that we did was from me installing the clutch disc backwards (because I can't read) and it immediately popped.

I get annoyed with stuff like this because it can come across like people have an entitlement issue. I'd totally get it if these things were failing within the bumper to bumper warranty period, like RubberDucky's, but that seems to be less the case. Everyone drives differently, and I just can't find it believable that there is a majority issue with this when its exceedingly uncommon in a place where it should be most prevalent.

Last edited: