Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Stuck to the Floor Edition 345

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can do your own warranty work...FYI. If your mechanically inclined the Clutch master took me about an Hr. with bleeding also.

OP
E
Thread Starter #22
You can do your own warranty work...FYI. If your mechanically inclined the Clutch master took me about an Hr. with bleeding also.
I have no issues replacing the master cylinder and bleeding the lines myself but how would that work with me doing my own warranty work? Also, this is assuming it IS the master cylinder and not the slave cylinder, right? From everything I've read it's a 50/50 chance it could be either. Looks like it's a $40ish part on https://www.onlinefordpartscatalog....9Zmllc3RhJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXN0JmU9MS02bC1sNC1nYXM= but how do I get reimbursed/prove that was the issue?

Thanks for the heads up and would appreciate any more info!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Clutch master* Big Difference from the brake master Cylinder* Diagnosis and documentation. You can talk to the dealer about this also. Every dealer is different* You bring them the Failed part and they submit/ Throw it away...if they have done their "Quality assessment" enough already also to see its a poopy design. Which it is!

OP
E
Thread Starter #24
Clutch master* Big Difference from the brake master Cylinder* Diagnosis and documentation. You can talk to the dealer about this also. Every dealer is different* You bring them the Failed part and they submit/ Throw it away...if they have done their "Quality assessment" enough already also to see its a poopy design. Which it is!
linked the wrong page, it's my clutch NOT MY brakes so a $95ish part

https://www.onlinefordpartscatalog.com/oem-parts/ford-clutch-master-cylinder-ay1z7519a

OP
E
Thread Starter #25
given where the master cylinder is located and how easy it is to R&R i might do this regardless then. if that's the defective part I'll have Ford reimburse me and if it's not then I know it's the slave and now I have a new master cylinder...

either way I canceled my appt since the dealership i trust is an hour's drive away and the clutch is pretty much back to normal now. I'll update when things change.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
given where the master cylinder is located and how easy it is to R&R i might do this regardless then. if that's the defective part I'll have Ford reimburse me and if it's not then I know it's the slave and now I have a new master cylinder...

either way I canceled my appt since the dealership i trust is an hour's drive away and the clutch is pretty much back to normal now. I'll update when things change.
The Clutch master is on the Clutch pedal itself* If ya haven't figured it out already.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thread Starter #27
The Clutch master is on the Clutch pedal itself* If ya haven't figured it out already.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
yep that how to thread on the forum walked me through the whole process which definitely lays out how easy it is to replace

FYI I just went through this with my dealer. The Slave cylinder is an issue on both the Fiesta ST and all of the manual transmission Mustangs. As I understand it if there is a small defect in the throwout bearing that causes a vast increase in wear. Once there is enough wear to the throwout bearing it then starts to generate HEAT. That heat then does damage to the seals in the slave cylinder. The warranty costs for all of these repairs is due to Ford outsourcing these parts to China and I have to wonder if Ford has done a cost benefit on this decision. As my father was fond of saying "don't spend a dollar to save a nickel". What he always meant was don't think you are saving anything by purchasing the cheapest part you can find. Obviously Ford never learned that lesson. BTW, I saw estimates on the Focus/Fiesta automatics that project the cost to Ford for that decision may approach 1 Billion UD Dollars.

I specifically didn't replace the clutch, pressure plate, or flywheel as my dealer suggested because those are all considered "wear items" and this would have then shifted the cost for the transmission R&R from the warranty to myself. Note, dealer cost for transmission R&R is 1546.00 USD.

Final note concerning performance parts and Ford Warranty. My car has had the Mountune Intake/Intercooler kit installed since the second week I purchased the car. One month in I installed the Mountune 3 pass radiator. Also installed a Cobb rear motor mount and Cobb 2.5 inch exhaust. The dealer is fully aware of these parts and doesn't feel they have any effect on warranty because all I have done is increase the cooling capacity of the engine, none of these parts are considered power adder's. Had I installed a Tune of any description and the warranty would be history.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............. Slave cylinder is an issue on both the Fiesta ST and all of the manual transmission Mustangs. As I understand it if there is a small defect in the throwout bearing that causes a vast increase in wear. Once there is enough wear to the throwout bearing it then starts to generate HEAT. That heat then does damage to the seals in the slave cylinder. ....................
Interesting. Mustangs should have a large performance aftermarket. That begs the question, could we use Mustang performance aftermarket parts in our clutch assemblies?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, one would think that given the rest of world wild popularity of our rides that someone would have developed a stronger, and/or longer lasting clutch master and slave cylinder option for our rides.

Ironically, most seem to think that our factory, and upgraded ST200 clutch assemblies can handle anything even a fully developed/tuned BT can throw at them, but yet the aftermarket offers big power handling 'upgrades' to those items. [dunno]

HaveBlue83

Hey all, just talked to my buddy whos a ford warranty repair regional mgr.

He said get off the clutch pedal when you are driving! Its causing heat at the tob, blowing seals on the CMC and Slave, and in general making this issue a thing.

Funny thing is, I have 175k on mine and it doesnt have this issue. His 14 mustang is also ok and we both beat the cars hard....but properly.

I got to this thread while looking for a 60k mileage range FiST, and one had his go to the floor on a test drive and he reduced the cost after. The other said he just did a mast cylinder job on his @61k ...which made me go googlin on WTF is going on here.....and asking my buddy.

By this time, you are too late and now ur in "Clutch/tob/slave/master/line flush" territory, so try not to use the clutch pedal as a footrest! He also said listen for a loud TOB as the indication you have wear that is going to be a problem.

*Might be related to the "bad batch of tob" discussed above, im not saying this couldnt be a thing as well!*

Last edited:
OP
E
Thread Starter #34
Hey all, just talked to my buddy whos a ford warranty repair regional mgr.

He said get off the clutch pedal when you are driving! Its causing heat at the tob, blowing seals on the CMC and Slave, and in general making this issue a thing.

Funny thing is, I have 175k on mine and it doesnt have this issue. His 14 mustang is also ok and we both beat the cars hard....but properly.

I got to this thread while looking for a 60k mileage range FiST, and one had his go to the floor on a test drive and he reduced the cost after. The other said he just did a mast cylinder job on his @61k ...which made me go googlin on WTF is going on here.....and asking my buddy.

By this time, you are too late and now ur in "Clutch/tob/slave/master/line flush" territory, so try not to use the clutch pedal as a footrest! He also said listen for a loud TOB as the indication you have wear that is going to be a problem.

*Might be related to the "bad batch of tob" discussed above, im not saying this couldnt be a thing as well!*
"ford warranty repair regional mgr."

Took everything written after with a serious grain of salt. especially when someone in management is blaming it on user error. I have no reason to push back on people riding the clutch making an existing problem even worse. That part is definitely true because if something is already bad, misusing it is only going to exacerbate the problem. But I can promise you I do not ride the clutch. Out of all my pedals, the dead pedal gets the most foot time by a country mile. I had a 2004 Focus that got well over 100K on the odometer and it never had clutch issues (and I learned manual on that and drove the motor mounts off that thing...metaphorically speaking). Not to mention the RX8 and the Mazda3 after that all with manual gearing and none of them ever had a clutch issue.

I do appreciate the rest of the info though. For me it's definitely the master and not the slave but either way it's gonna need to be looked at under warranty.

Last edited:

HaveBlue83

"ford warranty repair regional mgr."

Took everything written after with a serious grain of salt. especially when someone in management is blaming it on user error. I have no reason to push back on people riding the clutch making an existing problem even worse. That part is definitely true because if something is already bad, misusing it is only going to exacerbate the problem. But I can promise you I do not ride the clutch. Out of all my pedals, the dead pedal gets the most foot time by a country mile. I had a 2004 Focus that got well over 100K on the odometer and it never had clutch issues (and I learned manual on that and drove the motor mounts off that thing...metaphorically speaking). Not to mention the RX8 and the Mazda3 after that all with manual gearing and none of them ever had a clutch issue.

I do appreciate the rest of the info though. For me it's definitely the master and not the slave but either way it's gonna need to be looked at under warranty.
There are a lot of people that do it and blow CMC and dont even know thats why it happened tho. Im sure he sees this issue, and he never even brought it up to me since he knows i can drive properly. Granted ive had a CMC go out in my old talon but it was prolly 20 years old. Also, i put a dead pedal in my Fist as well. No issues from another friend, hes got about 65k? On his.

I just talked to another buddy with one and hes got over 100k, no issues. So its bat batch of tob/riding clutch, or more.

Also...do we have an inspection cover to the trans to see the TOB for wear ???

My master clutch cylinder bit the dust back in late May. Was spraying brake fluid when fully pressed to the floor causing my feet to slip. What a mess to clean up. Just out of warranty but I got 50% off the whole replacement and labor. I kept the brake fluid topped off everyday so I didnt have any driveability issues and the pedal always returned home with out issue. Hope your issue gets fixed. I have a 2017 FiST 70,000+/- miles on the odometer for reference.

Mine just went to the floor and stayed there yesterday for the 1st time. It came back after pulling it up and pumping on the floor many, many times. This was my 1st commute after the car sat at the body shop for 6 weeks waiting for a part after I got rear ended so I'll give it a one time pass. As soon as it happens again, I'll contact the dealer for warranty repair. She's a '19 with 45k and a 100k bumper to bumper but getting it to the dealership is a hassle and really just don't wanna deal with them at all. This car has been great otherwise with no trouble.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My master clutch cylinder bit the dust back in late May. Was spraying brake fluid when fully pressed to the floor causing my feet to slip. What a mess to clean up. Just out of warranty but I got 50% off the whole replacement and labor. I kept the brake fluid topped off everyday so I didnt have any driveability issues and the pedal always returned home with out issue. Hope your issue gets fixed. I have a 2017 FiST 70,000+/- miles on the odometer for reference.
Could've done it in my driveway for a case of beer! Glad it got fixed!

Could've done it in my driveway for a case of beer! Glad it got fixed![/QUOTE
Could've done it in my driveway for a case of beer! Glad it got fixed!
I was due for an oil change and getting the summer tires installed I only ended up paying something like $200 out of pocket since I was very tempted to say F the HOA and do it in my drive way.