Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch/Tranny Noise

Sam4

So a noisy throw out bearing (pedal out/neutral/noise, pedal in/quiet) has turned in to horrible grinding. I'm around 60K of generally spirited, but well-practiced manual tranny driving. Input shaft? T/O Bearing? Tranny?? No shifting issues at all, just worn-out brake pad metal-on-metal grinding noise.

If it is markedly louder/worse than before you the T/O bearing will fail, time is the only variable. That being said, there are countless threads of people claiming to have an excessively loud bearing when it sounds normal to me. So what sounds catastrophic to you may be subjective. Only two choices, drop the trans and replace it, or just drive it till something physical happens/changes.

It seems this comes up a lot with the FIST. I came to this forum looking for a solution to fix the clank that is well known among the community. It’s easier to except this as normal operating conditions and enjoy life. That’s a hard pill to swallow for someone who has to replace a transmission with or without a warranty. Ford seems to take good care of their customers, but it might be time for a class action suite. I would love to know the root cause. Someone at Ford must know the truth. I don’t want a lot, I’m just looking for an official and logical explanation so I can fix the problem if it exists.

OP
S

Sam4

Thread Starter #4
Chicken Little here again. Realizing that the front brakes were ID'd a few weeks ago as marginal, and my son has been using the car for about 10K, I think my diagnosis goes from Tranny catastrophe, to brake job.
Maybe the sky isn't falling! Time to pull a wheel....