Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch

Can the clutch on my new Fiesta St be adjusted so I don't have to push it so far before shifting?

Having the pedal all the way to the floor is the only time you should move the shifter...would some kind of pedal spacer help you? Is it a reach issue, or just the range of motion you're having problems with?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Actually the clutch disengages well before the pedal reaches the floor, that is why some racers install stops so they can shift without waiting for it to go down all the way and then it engages sooner on the way back up.

------------

If yours is disengaging near the floor there might be air in the system than needs bled out.

------------

If normal then it would take a rocker arm of some sort or moving the push rod up a bit higher if possible.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I sometimes shift without using the clutch at all. Especially right after a hard leg day. Rev-matching, ftw.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It has been years since I read it and do not recall the source but it might be a good idea to look more into shifting without using the clutch. I used to do it a lot back in the farm town, driving the truck, etc days but what I read said it is really hard on the syncros.

It is fun to do, big rig drivers do it all the time or at least used to.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It has been years since I read it and do not recall the source but it might be a good idea to look more into shifting without using the clutch. I used to do it a lot back in the farm town, driving the truck, etc days but what I read said it is really hard on the syncros.

It is fun to do, big rig drivers do it all the time or at least used to.
Yeah, I don't advocate doing it. But there have been times when my leg hurts, or my joints are inflammed, sometimes both. Only bearing through the take-off makes life like that easier. And I know you know all about joint problems old man :p

rexdriver85

Big truck transmissions are not synchronized, so the preferred method is double clutching, but, mostly everyone just straight shifts. It's buttery smooth once you get the hang of it. You can even downshift without the clutch.

It's not good to do on cars though. Straight shifting will put unnecessary wear on the dog teeth of the synchronizers. This is because you are basically pushing the shift lever against the next gear waiting for the synchros to mesh at the correct RPM. It's not good to do and will definitely cause pre-mature wear.

If you lose your clutch though, you can straight shift to get where you need to go so you don't have to call the for the hook.

Also, if you do ever have to drive a vehicle with a worn synchro, you can double clutch to avoid the grinding.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is it, I had forgotten the details, nothing do to with almost hitting 64:)

I have had to use a crutch, cane, etc on a stiff clutch more than once and having joint issues??? I am around 70% disabled but to busy to file a claim even when I could barely walk half the winter. I can still outwork most anybody though when I put my heart into a project:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Big truck transmissions are not synchronized, so the preferred method is double clutching, but, mostly everyone just straight shifts. It's buttery smooth once you get the hang of it. You can even downshift without the clutch.

It's not good to do on cars though. Straight shifting will put unnecessary wear on the dog teeth of the synchronizers. This is because you are basically pushing the shift lever against the next gear waiting for the synchros to mesh at the correct RPM. It's not good to do and will definitely cause pre-mature wear.

If you lose your clutch though, you can straight shift to get where you need to go so you don't have to call the for the hook.

Also, if you do ever have to drive a vehicle with a worn synchro, you can double clutch to avoid the grinding.
Wait... People hold the shifter against the gear? I admit, I started it a few cars and years back on an 03 Eclipse GTS, and grinded it a few times learning. But pressing it and waiting is a bad idea. With the Fiesta it was much easier to learn since the ECU drops it to the next RPM when you clutch in. Just took some observation. I'm ALWAYS practicing my shifting (heel-toe) on the streets and making these observations.

And Rick, I'm probably headed towards a med board soon with the issues I have. If they don't boot me (I won't mind) I still won't be able to re-enlist and currently, talking with people with experience I'll be close to, if not 100% disabled. I take 5 daily prescriptions to maintain... So, like I said, I know about joint issues and a few others to boot. It was just a friendly joke.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
No worries buddy, not at all:)

I have not been able to heel and toe for a very long time, might of been caused by being hit in the back by a crane and flying through the air.

I figured out a way around the heel and toe and am quite good at it, later I read something quite interesting about some of the all time

That does not even bother me much except cannot turn my head very far (part of why I am pissed at Ford for not supporting a back up camera in this car)

-------------

Get out as soon as you can, life is better on the outside than in, at least in my case incredibly so:)

-------------

PM on the way.

rexdriver85

Wait... People hold the shifter against the gear? I admit, I started it a few cars and years back on an 03 Eclipse GTS, and grinded it a few times learning. But pressing it and waiting is a bad idea. With the Fiesta it was much easier to learn since the ECU drops it to the next RPM when you clutch in. Just took some observation. I'm ALWAYS practicing my shifting (heel-toe) on the streets and making these observations.
Yeah, unless you time the shift exactly at the perfect RPM that it just drops right in, then you are putting pre-mature wear on the dog teeth of the collars.

I'm definitely not saying it isn't possible, because it is. But most people won't time it just right and whether you feel it or not, there is wear being dealt.

I haven't ever noticed about the ECU dropping to next RPM... If I depress the clutch while driving it will just fall to idle.

Yes it is *possible* and I do shift without the clutch at times. As stated by you guys as long as you rev match, you are really not causing any major wear or damage.

But do you recon that if you compared someone who 'fully clutched every shift' vs someone who 'shifted with no clutching or shifted without *fully* clutching most of the time', there would be a difference in the condition of their transmission and clutch parts after say, a couple years?

Yeah, unless you time the shift exactly at the perfect RPM that it just drops right in, then you are putting pre-mature wear on the dog teeth of the collars.

I'm definitely not saying it isn't possible, because it is. But most people won't time it just right and whether you feel it or not, there is wear being dealt.

I haven't ever noticed about the ECU dropping to next RPM... If I depress the clutch while driving it will just fall to idle.
Are you sure? I was always impressed with this feature, it holds proper RPM for the next gear (on an up shift) for maybe a second or so and then starts to drop. Really noticeable on the 4-5 shift on the highway for me, but I think it happens on all up shifts in my car.

rexdriver85

Ohhhh. The rev hang. I completely forgot. I haven't driven the FiST since December lol. I remember talks about that.

I stand corrected there. [emoji106][emoji106]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The rev hang is part of the the emission system, if it helps you shift that is a side benefit. Personally I do not like it, I like faster response but I learned to live with it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'll get a video and post it. The ECU drops to the appropriate rpm for the next shift.

rexdriver85

I'll get a video and post it. The ECU drops to the appropriate rpm for the next shift.
Well, I decided to take the car for a drive tonight and I can't even believe I never actually noticed this before... But yup. You were absolutely right.

Depress the clutch and the RPMs come down and hold for a few seconds, then if you keep it depressed they fall down to idle.

14.5k miles and never noticed. I had to slow my shifts down and think about it. That's probably why I've never noticed.

And now I can see why you have had such great success straight shifting... The car matches RPMs for you pretty much. [emoji106][emoji106]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I need to look into this a bit more as originally rev hang was for emissions but it might be revised here to work for both that and shifting, I do find shifting to be very easy with this car.

Well, I decided to take the car for a drive tonight and I can't even believe I never actually noticed this before... But yup. You were absolutely right.

Depress the clutch and the RPMs come down and hold for a few seconds, then if you keep it depressed they fall down to idle.

14.5k miles and never noticed. I had to slow my shifts down and think about it. That's probably why I've never noticed.

And now I can see why you have had such great success straight shifting... The car matches RPMs for you pretty much. [emoji106][emoji106]
My car doesn't do this. Is this because I'm running a custom tune?