Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB Accesstuner CCF-Gen-2

Not sure how many people here are serious about self tuning, but I would like to share my experience... very positive as of this weekend.

I had zero intention of doing my own tuning, but my goals are perhaps a little bit different... when I purchased the blue car, it was very thoroughly tuned by several tuners, and the owner was satisfyed. I seem to do this for everything I own, but the reason I chose to spend potentially an enormous amount of time, is because it wasn't to my liking... but I learned a lot about the character of the engine/turbo/WGA reviewing/trying the 17 files from the last tuner go around, and previous tuners before that, the datalogs, etc. Initially, I got the Accestuner so that I could understand how to work with the tuners... and decided to replace my less than new injectors with the higher flow rate, so that helped push me to do some learning and work.

There are several strategies to choose from, all built into the Accessport/Accesstuner, almost like a class experiment on how many different ways can we tune this ECU. I was clueless about the WG Actuator Canister Pressure mapping at first, the CCF WGDC made good sense (even if it was a blank sheet to start with) so that's the direction I went. As the COBB OTS first slot was tuned with the wastgate wide open, it's essentially all zeros on the waste gate duty cycle map, so I kept it that way in the first slot for a while, it runs smooth and keeps the throttle wide open, only builds about 15-16 lbs of boost with the Tuned+ WGA, and provides a great baseline on the Virtual Dyno for all changes.

Couple of Caveats that are important to state for anyone attempting this, not to take it too lightly -- First, I've been tuning ECU's from SCT Pro-Race about 20 years ago to motorcycles with my own eddy current dyno, so I do have a little bit of education, training, experience. COBB indicates that this is the most likely the most complex ECU and strategy for the Fiesta ST... I don't doubt them and if you look at the amount of line items and tables, it's about 7-10 times as much as the ECU's I'm experienced with over the decades, and on top of that, I wasn't familiar or comfortable with the gasoline-direct-injection-turbocharged-variable-cam-timing paradime, that's like Formula One stuff for me.

Big thumbs up for the COBB Custom Features strategy:
1. Great tuning tool once it's understood
3. Every setting every line item needs to be reviewed and understood, choices made on turning features on/off, otherwise there can be some gotchas
2. Understanding requires some trial and error and common sense
3. Documentation is more like clues and breadcrumbs than a tuning guide
4. Most of the tables in the OTS maps are not used or developed in any way, and it's confusing to understand the XYZ exactly
5. If you enjoy learning, this is for you.

Some important items i still don't fully understand, but I have guessed, looked at examples, tried some stuff and made them work. I did not use the Real Time section, and did not learn much of the speed density section, but something most tuners probably set up well is the TIP Desired Minimum (Spring Pressure) table, I could't find any documentation on this other that leave it alone unless I change WGA springs, which I certainly did change (raised the values a bit but really don't know what exactly it should be).

Super happy with the performance finally, tried to keep the throttle cuts to a minimum of course as it degrades performance and smoothness. Have a nice 91 octane pump gas tune in slot 1, E20 in slot 2, E30 in slot 3, E40 in slot 4, E50 in slot 5. Didn't do much tuning for 4-5 just incrementally added some timing, fuel and a hair more pressure for now.

Attached the CCF RPM/MAP WGDC schedule 3D which I ended up with designing with a lot of trial and error (using MAP for X axis as it's changeable).

Attachments

Awesome! I always love reading about progress and people learning to tune their own cars. Keep it up!

PS- the speed density tables are most commonly used on built/ported/cammed engines with larger turbos. I suggest leaving them alone on the OE turbo.