Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb Stage 3 OTS is it really that bad? Data Log Posted.

Hi all, I've had my ST for awhile now 36,000 miles and I decided to finally pull the trigger on getting tuned. I bought the Cobb Stage 3 package and really learned a lot about my car and working on cars in general lol. Took me probably about 28 hours to do everything myself having never worked on cars before. I've put about 1000 miles on my new gear using the stage 3 OTS 93 tune and I'm thinking about getting a custom tune in the spring.

I've finally had some decent weather today so I did a hard long 4th gear pull to about 6k rpm, however I don't really know what to make of the data, I see a lot of drops in ignition corrections, and everything I'm reading online is kind of confusing. If anyone has any insight into what I should look into or what I should be worried about within my datalog I'd really appreciate the pointers. Or if you just want to see what the Cobb Stage 3 OTS (93) 4th gear pull looks like data-wise that's cool too!

Sorry pdf is garbage
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T93oogeFlKmxQ1qBFSGvF48kDr1BbNyyXYFV9zadW1o/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

Last edited:
Ignition Correction looks fine. You're only looking for negatives.

Boost is 4-5lbs lower than it could be.

All in all it looks fine, it just looks stupid safe. I'd personally spend $75 on a Dizzy Stage 2 tune and get all you can out of your tune. He lets you customize it so you can remove rev-hang, adjust traction control, etc.

estimated horse power on Cobb stage 3 hits 222, but boost at 21psi

dizzy only hits 200 rarely and boost at 26 psi. The torque steer is no joke once Dizzy’s boost hits.

I am beginning to think I prefer Cobb’s flash tune

Brianmc27

dizzy only hits 200 rarely and boost at 26 psi. The torque steer is no joke once Dizzy’s boost hits.

get some motor mount inserts. I’ve got Dizzys E30 and I have no torque steer whatsoever.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Put the car on an actual real Dyno. I promise you the dizzy tune makes more power. Ask the man himself.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Looks fine. You have positive ignition corrections not negative.

WTF?! Me too! I bought the AP from Cobb last year, installed a whoosh intercooler, 1 step colder plugs and a K&N drop-in filter and uploaded the OTS stage 3 for 93 octane and it was awesome. 222hp 279ft.lbs. Then bought stratified tune first and felt slower (after 2 revisions), then I bought Dizzy's stage 2. Same.. then I spent $400something on unlimited Tune+ w/e30 and still..jeez. then u got those Pwnall guys claiming greatest stock turbo tune of all time at 220hp lol. I quit man.. at least till I get my new hybrid turbo from Ron.

Stage 3 Cobb felt like shit, and certainly wasn't 222/297, for me. Just because it thrusts you forward just off of idle doesn't mean it's faster.

Dizzy 93 feels much better, and the torque delivery makes it harder to overwhelm your tires, and I trust his dyno runs on his site. (E30 coming this Spring.)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Where did you get those numbers from a YouTube video. The Cobb tune does not make more power.

Not saying that it's good or bad, but there are many revisions to the COBB OTS, and 2 generations of different file sets even. Make sure you get the latest one, can be done with Accessport Manager 3.1.1 by removing the existing OTS files from the AP and then loading new ones. Save the old ones if you want of course.

Yap. I don't know about the old ots versions but I reinstalled the stage.3 93 octane v505 (had it saved) about an hour ago, and after going back to the Dizzy stage 2 this morning and the difference is pretty nuts. Somewhat obvious even.

Yap. I don't know about the old ots versions but I reinstalled the stage.3 93 octane v505 (had it saved) about an hour ago, and after going back to the Dizzy stage 2 this morning and the difference is pretty nuts. Somewhat obvious even.
I'll have to try it out when I get it out this year. I see they updated their files on January 24th of this year. I went off to know where they found an extra 11+ horsepower and 20 some torque from, given that no other tuner can come close to that on 93.

Dizzy E30 numbers are still above the original posters claimed Cobb stage 3 93 numbers though. Not sure why that wouldn't feel faster, but the same power gains from old Cobb to new Cobb did feel faster.

Well, whatever. We'll see.

Not saying that it's good or bad, but there are many revisions to the COBB OTS, and 2 generations of different file sets even. Make sure you get the latest one, can be done with Accessport Manager 3.1.1 by removing the existing OTS files from the AP and then loading new ones. Save the old ones if you want of course.
Bit of a newbie to Accessports, are the new maps free and where can I get them? Only on Stage 1 - 93 and pulls good enough for now. Thanks

get some motor mount inserts. I’ve got Dizzys E30 and I have no torque steer whatsoever.
The other thing I have found to be helpful with torque steer is a decent set of tires. Here is MN I run Blizzak tires in the winter and go all over the road (even with the factory tune) in 1st and 2nd gear WOT.

When I change to the Firehawk Indy500 for the spring/summer the torque steer pretty much goes away (again with the stock tune), I can imagine that a custom tune would only make this problem worse, but trying to contain the torque steer on some all season tires would be pretty difficult.

I was just observing that Dizzy’s OTS tune felt like it had more torque leading to more torque steer. Dizzy’s tune is tough to get the access port to get over 197estimated HP but the access port consistently reads 222estimated horse power on Cobb’s OTS stage 3

i think Cobb’s recent update is now competitive with other OTS tunes.

Spork1569

I was just observing that Dizzy’s OTS tune felt like it had more torque leading to more torque steer. Dizzy’s tune is tough to get the access port to get over 197estimated HP but the access port consistently reads 222estimated horse power on Cobb’s OTS stage 3

i think Cobb’s recent update is now competitive with other OTS tunes.
The Cobb estimated HP isnt really accurate at all and seems to over estimate their HP and torque. No way their stage 3 makes more power than the e30 tune I'm running(Cobb HP reading never goes above 210), that power difference alone is noticable from just the butt Dyno.

I suggest getting a program called VDyno on your computer. If you take some data logs and out them into the computer you will be able to see something closer to what a real Dyno will read.

It's not perfectly accurate, but more representative of real HP and torque than the AP readings.

Sooo, COBB tuning is as good as Dizzy tuning? I just purchased the COBB accessport and I'm going to test out the stage 1. Would it be worth it to get Dizzy stage 1 tune over COBB in terms of more hp and torque?

Just my opinion but I If you are content to stay @1 maybe it would be worth it, but if you are considering going beyond then honestly I would just wait and get a stage 2 from Dizzy (or your choice). I think the Cobb stage 1 is pretty good, the stage 2 I really can't say whether I felt a major increase in anything....but when I loaded my Dizzy stage 2....well, that's a whole different animal.

Just my opinion but I If you are content to stay @1 maybe it would be worth it, but if you are considering going beyond then honestly I would just wait and get a stage 2 from Dizzy (or your choice). I think the Cobb stage 1 is pretty good, the stage 2 I really can't say whether I felt a major increase in anything....but when I loaded my Dizzy stage 2....well, that's a whole different animal.
Ah alright, yeah I was planning on staying with Stage 1 for a little while then i would want to try out different tunes to fit my style.

Thanks for your opinion [loveboost]

I just received the Cobb V3 and when flashing tunes, I noticed there was no stage 3 OTS available. Not on the Cobb website either. I loaded the Stage 2 93 which was the only 93 tune available. I plan on getting a custom tune in the future along with the S280, but since I already have a Catback 3in, Catted DP upgrade, Whoosh FMIC and modded airbox, thought it would be nice to have the Stage 3 OTS tune. Is it no longer available? Stage 2 is loads more torque seat of the pants than stock tune which I am enjoying.