Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coil pack upgrades

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’ll give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Due to no codes and it cutting out....if the coils were having issues the vehicle is smart enough to see that and set a code for multiple misfires or just singles.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I had my coils go just like that. No codes, and I would lose spark over 23 psi on a larger MRX turbo.

It set no check engine lights and it was rough. Go check your accessport setting and look at the misfire counter. If it increments when the stutter happens, replace your coil packs. They are cheap on RockAuto.com, so no need to upgrade. Unless you are logging fuel pressure issues, don't change any fuel parts out yet until you swap the coil packs.

Mine failed around 70k miles on a larger turbo under WOT boost conditions. No check engine light.

I had my coils go just like that. No codes, and I would lose spark over 23 psi on a larger MRX turbo.

It set no check engine lights and it was rough. Go check your accessport setting and look at the misfire counter. If it increments when the stutter happens, replace your coil packs. They are cheap on RockAuto.com, so no need to upgrade. Unless you are logging fuel pressure issues, don't change any fuel parts out yet until you swap the coil packs.

Mine failed around 70k miles on a larger turbo under WOT boost conditions. No check engine light.
I HOPE THIS IS THE FIX. I’m running a X47R and it just started breaking up under WOT and there’s no check engine lights. I’ll try the coils and post back.

I'm at 61k with a Whoosh hybrid. Same thing starts breaking up after 22psi misfire counter climbing as such. New plugs installed. Got coils on the way I'll reply back. Car was running fine earlier in the day. Went on a roadtrip in the evening, went to pass 3 cars and well not its a stuttery breakup that feels like ignition. No negative corrections, care makes boost fine. If i recall correctly before i gapped the plugs back down to .025 it started happening around 17psi. For reference the plugs had 10k on them and had gapped themselves to .31

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm at 63k and just going to replace mine also....I have had Some Rando negative corrections and plus...mine have lived a HARD life.Gonna roll some NGKs.

So Today started with replacing cylinder 4 coil pack and no change. Put the new one on cylinder 3 bam, seems to be running fine atm after 2 pulls. I'm going to do a compression test to make sure she's healthy and if it is I'll go ahead and replace the other 3.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So you put one on #4 with no change and a new one on #3 and it runs better? then you will replace the other 3 coils that doesn't make any sense

So you put one on #4 with no change and a new one on #3 and it runs better? then you will replace the other 3 coils that doesn't make any sense
I started with cylinder 4 working my way back. Cylinder 4 with a new coil did nothing to help. Old coil back on then put new coil on cylinder 3. Take it for a drive it's perfect. If compression test rules out any underlying issue I'm gonna replace the other 3 just to have a fresh set.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldve left the new good one in #4 and then proceeded to replace # 3 with new and did them all. Me....I'm just gonna Grip and Rip....it takes me about 10 mins to do all 4 coils now. Report back when you are all done....Keep the contributions coming!

I noticed on rock auto site both motorcraft and ngk coils are available. which are the better choice? thanks, boyracer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I noticed on rock auto site both motorcraft and ngk coils are available. which are the better choice? thanks, boyracer.
I just went with NGK....thought I'd give them a whirl.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Put them in....took yay of 10 mins. Haven't driven it as of yet....fired it up....seemed quicker when starting....maybe it s just a placebo effect. Will drive tonight and report back.

Se7eN

Put them in....took yay of 10 mins. Haven't driven it as of yet....fired it up....seemed quicker when starting....maybe it s just a placebo effect. Will drive tonight and report back.

a buddy of mine has had the NGK for about 2 years of harsh life, he thinks they might be going out, so I'm going to help him test it out and see.

haste

1000 Post Club
I went ahead and ordered new coils also. Got the NGK, price was right compared to OEM from rockauto. I'll be installing a new exhaust manifold soon and want everything tiptop. My FiST is at 81k miles... I have a coworker who is going big turbo soon and suggested to him that he replace all his coils at the same time. He also is close to 80k miles on original coils. The price is right for peace of mind.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If any wants to get all Technical ....you can check primary and secondary coil windings with an Ohm meter. I dont know the Specs though for the windings.

Technically internet experience shows unless your coil has completely failed it won't register on an ohm meter as mine didn't.

Onto what I found out

So previously I replaced cylinder 3 coil on my car and it seemed fine at first but then I was getting negative corrections all of a sudden like -3 and -4 on all other cylinders and 3 was positive the whole time.

Long story short...Did a compression test yesterday and all 4 cylinders are at 190psi 400ft above sea level at 32F with a warmed up engine. I replaced all of the coils now and the car is running phenomenally. I spent approximately 200 dollars between the coils, plugs, and the compression tester. I would say for piece of mind do a compression test if you are having issues.

haste

1000 Post Club
The NGK coils look exactly like the OEM, except the label on the very top. They even say FoMoCo on the side.