Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold air intake vs. Air box

I was looking at an intake that was mounted just above the turbo on the passenger side of the engine bay...can't seem to find it now. Original model required some cutting but the newer model was going to wrap around the cowl. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

I was looking at an intake that was mounted just above the turbo on the passenger side of the engine bay...can't seem to find it now. Original model required some cutting but the newer model was going to wrap around the cowl. Anyone know what I'm referring to?
Sounds like the 2J intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Did you ever end up replacing it with something else or are you running stock for now?
I went back to stock. Even with the cobb check-valve thingy, every time the diverter valve closed the car filled with oil smell, an I was finding a bit of oil in the filter with just a few hundred miles on it. I decided to leave well enough alone (at least for right now) and re-address it later. With how long it takes to install/remove, and the gusto with which local police pounce on potentially modded cars, I deemed it not worth it for right now. I've got the 2j install/removal down to ~ 45 minutes now, but I can install/remove the injen in about 15. Now that the weather's started to heat up I can *feel* the hole in the cowl, the vents always blow hot once the car is up to temp :| I'll have to buy another lower cowl. I think it's only like 60 bucks or so.

Spork1569

I went back to stock. Even with the cobb check-valve thingy, every time the diverter valve closed the car filled with oil smell, an I was finding a bit of oil in the filter with just a few hundred miles on it. I decided to leave well enough alone (at least for right now) and re-address it later. With how long it takes to install/remove, and the gusto with which local police pounce on potentially modded cars, I deemed it not worth it for right now. I've got the 2j install/removal down to ~ 45 minutes now, but I can install/remove the injen in about 15. Now that the weather's started to heat up I can *feel* the hole in the cowl, the vents always blow hot once the car is up to temp :| I'll have to buy another lower cowl. I think it's only like 60 bucks or so.
Man I forgot you gotta cut a hole in the cowl for the 2J as well, hopefully it hasn't started heating up too much for you yet.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Man I forgot you gotta cut a hole in the cowl for the 2J as well, hopefully it hasn't started heating up too much for you yet.
No not yet - but you're in ventura - you know what I mean. When you turn on the vent in the AM and the air is already warm you know in a month or two its gonna be grooooooss

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Trying to piece this thread together... Just want to see if my interpretation is sound.

ITG > ST200 > Stock box > Open filter in engine bay (Injen, MAPerformance, short rams)

What about the intakes with the closed boxes? Like Mishimoto and CP-e? My car is my daily that sees the occasional track day, I currently have a MAPerformance intake (lol @ me), which I replaced my custom OEM box with (I made a somewhat larger version of the st200 box). I had made a "ram air" headlight for the track day but even then it didn't do much to keep IATs down. I want to replace the MAP intake with something that would be more efficient, and I'm pretty set on the CP-e, but everyone keeps telling me the ITG is better since its truly outside the engine bay. I've also heard that the metal air boxes do not serve any good with the Mishi and CP-e intakes.

Spork1569

Trying to piece this thread together... Just want to see if my interpretation is sound.

ITG > ST200 > Stock box > Open filter in engine bay (Injen, MAPerformance, short rams)

What about the intakes with the closed boxes? Like Mishimoto and CP-e? My car is my daily that sees the occasional track day, I currently have a MAPerformance intake (lol @ me), which I replaced my custom OEM box with (I made a somewhat larger version of the st200 box). I had made a "ram air" headlight for the track day but even then it didn't do much to keep IATs down. I want to replace the MAP intake with something that would be more efficient, and I'm pretty set on the CP-e, but everyone keeps telling me the ITG is better since its truly outside the engine bay. I've also heard that the metal air boxes do not serve any good with the Mishi and CP-e intakes.
Is heat soak what makes the ST200/Mountune worse than the itg? I live in socal and my IAT only really go up when stuck in traffic and the heat has nowhere to go. Otherwise the ST200 box while moving keeps it within 5 degrees of ambient most of the time.

jeff

2000 Post Club
FWIW I've had my car nearly 4 years. Done 100+ datalogs with stock turbo, all bolt ons and custom tune, then about 8 more tunes on my X47. All of this with various airbox configurations ranging from stock to panel to big mouth to CP-E and everything in between. I've measured airflow mass and done dyno runs and here are my conclusions in 2 simple sentences:

1. CP-E intake showed the same airflow psi as panel filter with stock box.
2. Dyno run with no filter at all only showed a 0.5 hp gain over having a panel filter installed.

If you want noise, spend your money and get it. If all you want is power, keep the stock airbox and get a panel filter.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
But you can just buy another one should you choose to go back but I’m running the stock air box with a big mouth and IMO I say do it. Besides the added benefit of pressurizing the air box at speeds (with cooler air) so the intake doesn’t have to draw from a vacuum it looks dope af

View attachment 21148

I too have the BIG MOUTH. It is a great setup, however, I travel for a living, so I think BUG CATCHER is a more suitable name.