Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

coming to a stop, idle drops occasionally, florida weather?

Hello guys and gals,

My Fist has 5k miles and occasionally when I'm coming to a stop the idle drops significantly and stumbles a bit, but only when i come to a complete stop and just for a second or two. Doesn't feel horrible but I can surely see the needle go below appropriate levels and jump back up to normal quickly, car idles fine afterwords until I get up to speed and decelerate to zero again, does it every maybe 15 stops.

No CEL
only aftermarket is cobb cutback exhaust.

Ford did however overfill my oil significantly on the first oil change. I counted exactly 5.1 quarts that came out of the drain pan, called them and they said they billed 5 quarts. However our vehicles only take 4.3 quarts.

Ive attached a picture of how full the oil was, I checked it about a week after they changed it and discovered then it was overfilled, in that time I put roughly 150-200 miles on the car before I decided to check it and then discovered its overfill point.

the end of the red straw indicates the point at which it was overfilled to.

Thanks for any information, I am wondering if the overfill has to do with this strange idle drop issue.

[wave]

Attachments

Some people have had the ECU add some odd corrections which created a few odd driveability problems. I would try resetting the ECU and let it re-learn your driving to see if that clears it up. To do so just turn the car on to accessory power (don't start it), turn your headlights on, and remove the negative battery cable from the battery for 10-15 minutes. Whenever I feel that my car is running oddly this fixes it up right away.

Lots of cars I drive in do it mine does to Its usually from the a.c. pulling power when the revs drop fast the ecu can't compensate for the extra load fast enough

me32

1000 Post Club
Sounds normal for these cars. Mine has done it a few times only it hot weather.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Its been in the 110's to upper "one-teens" for past few months here and I have yet to experience idle drops or shutter with AC fully blasting...should count my blessings I suppose! :)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Its been in the 110's to upper "one-teens" for past few months here and I have yet to experience idle drops or shutter with AC fully blasting...should count my blessings I suppose! :)
The heat index here 100 degrees at 9am with the dew points we have. When I get in my car at 6:30am while its still dark out, its 82 degrees (not counting humidity), now imagine what it feels like at 4-5pm, lol.

Any of my friends that have been out West say they'd take the dry heat over Florida heat ANYDAY.

I'd imagine parts of Texas could prob have us beat for "the sucky-est Summer weather ever".

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The heat index here 100 degrees at 9am with the dew points we have. When I get in my car at 6:30am while its still dark out, its 82 degrees (not counting humidity), now imagine what it feels like at 4-5pm, lol.

Any of my friends that have been out West say they'd take the dry heat over Florida heat ANYDAY.

I'd imagine parts of Texas could prob have us beat for "the sucky-est Summer weather ever".
Oh I agree...I used live back east many many years ago and I don't miss that miserable high humidity with frequent afternoon thunder storms...

105 and single digit humidity is actually not bad even at midnight here mid summer...But anything above 115 even with our low humidity is still f'n HOT...LOL! Just a few more weeks here and its back to 8 months of paradise! [coolsmile]

Wonder then if its the ultra high humidity coupled with high temps which is causing intermittent idle shudder for you guys?

And your baro pressure probably fluctuates much more with all those storms....Our baro pressure here in the low desert stays fairly constant at 14.5~14.7 psi (29.5~29.9 inHg)....But there are ignition timing compensations for baro pressure changes so I'm not sure if that would be an issue?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It never dies... So... I don't put much thought into it, lol. Bumping the idle up slightly in the tune would orob help too.

Hello guys and gals,

My Fist has 5k miles and occasionally when I'm coming to a stop the idle drops significantly and stumbles a bit, but only when i come to a complete stop and just for a second or two. Doesn't feel horrible but I can surely see the needle go below appropriate levels and jump back up to normal quickly, car idles fine afterwords until I get up to speed and decelerate to zero again, does it every maybe 15 stops.

No CEL

Ford did however overfill my oil significantly on the first oil change. I counted exactly 5.1 quarts that came out of the drain pan, called them and they said they billed 5 quarts. However our vehicles only take 4.3 quarts.

Ive attached a picture of how full the oil was, I checked it about a week after they changed it and discovered then it was overfilled, in that time I put roughly 150-200 miles on the car before I decided to check it and then discovered its overfill point.

Thanks for any information, I am wondering if the overfill has to do with this strange idle drop issue.

[wave]
No worries. I have 2600 miles on my car and it does the same thing though not as frequently as yours. I too live in a hot and humid area, so it could be weather related. A couple hundred miles ago my car developed a strange issue with the fuel tank evaporative purge valve that would cause the car to stumble/die out after I put gas in the tank. I'm waiting on the part to come in so they can replace the valve. Just something to keep in mind if the situation gets worse, but hopefully not.

Hello guys and gals,

No CEL

[wave]
happens to me when it's 80+ deg outside
Lots of cars I drive in do it mine does to Its usually from the a.c. pulling power when the revs drop fast the ecu can't compensate for the extra load fast enough
Mine does this as well when its 98 degrees outside and 90% humidity like today
Sounds normal for these cars. Mine has done it a few times only it hot weather.
Hey guys,

Have you had a chance to speak with your Ford Dealers about this? They'll be best to inspect and diagnose this concern. If you decide to schedule an appointment, please PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look over some resources on my end to see how I can help. :)

Nick

scotty7676

Had something weird happen to me today. We've had a lot of rain in south Florida from tropical storm Colin. Was on the interstate for about 20 miles constant 75 mph. When I exited, stopped and turned onto a 45mph road, the car hesitated and bogged, losing power in 2nd and 3rd. Stopped at a light and the car idled rough and at low rpms. Didn't die, but came close. I held the engine at 1200 rpms until the light turned green (2 minutes), and it ran fine after that. Seemed like it got condensation in the intake and took it a minute to burn it out. 2015 with 13k miles.