Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering a B-Spec Fiesta build

Not sure if this is the correct category since we're talking about non ST Fiestas but I'm considering building and racing a B-Spec Fiesta and I have a couple questions. To start it off do any of you guys have experience with B-Spec racing or similar classes? Those who have built a racecar what should I look for in a starting car to build? Should I find a nice salvaged title or cheap used car? Also, what are some unexpected problems or costs I should look out for?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If this is your first build/campaign I’d suggest looking at SCCA IT or Lemons/Chump. Going from green racer/builder to B-spec is a jump.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #3
If this is your first build/campaign I’d suggest looking at SCCA IT or Lemons/Chump. Going from green racer/builder to B-spec is a jump.
Looks like you can run a b-spec car in ITB so if I need to I can definitely start there.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I guess my point is that a B-spec is a $15-20k build if you can weld. You can pick up a sorted IT car for $5k, do your license, and learn to wheel to wheel before you move into a class with well funded teams and really racey drivers.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #5
I guess my point is that a B-spec is a $15-20k build if you can weld. You can pick up a sorted IT car for $5k, do your license, and learn to wheel to wheel before you move into a class with well funded teams and really racey drivers.
Oh I get it thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know B-Spec was a that serious but I think I'll definitely look into building an IT car. Do you have any recommendations for IT cars to look out for?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
B-Spec is more of a development class for racers to move into GT classes. IT is a great place to start if you want to drive production-based cars - I'd consider single-seaters if you really want to lay a solid foundation. Regardless, Civics are cheap, reliable, fast, and everywhere. If you get tired of IT I'm pretty sure that you can mod. into Prod. If you're new to circuit racing I'd strongly suggesting buying over building; there's so much to learn about so many things that starting off with fewer variables by buying a sorted car will save your many, many seasons of problem chasing and a couple of bucks, unless you already have a fully stocked garage.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #7
Been looking around and Formula F and Vee have definitely caught my eye I may look into going into that route instead

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That would get my vote. Even an F500. I started off in a FF and got to a FC before I left racing as a possible career. Even ~30 years later I see that I have faster hands and can read a car better than my peers. Also, race cars are made to be fixed and worked on. Production cars are not. Wrenching is so much nicer on a race car.