Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering making an EFR kit to offer, anybody interested?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
EFR6258 is on the way:):):)

Thanks to all the great input here I was able to order the EFR and see what we can do for the ST with it:)

Though it looked like it might just not work for my needs and many others but I am going to find out for sure and if it does I am going to develop a very well priced bolt on kit for it to offer if anybody wants one.

I will start the project as soon as I return to Utah and will base it on an adapter to bolt it to the stock manifold, if the performance is what I hope to achieve I have already worked out a deal to where I can get the adapter made out of cast iron which is the most reliable material to use(other than inconnel but that might be what we use if the cost is not to bad).

Thanks for all your help, I am very excited to do this and hope to be able to help others do the same and soon:)

Rick

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I have not built a single scroll manifold before so did not look into firing order sequence but would of done the research before starting to make as far more effort involved, been there, done that!

It just seems it should still be better than random order as the exhaust pulses would be in sync instead of out of sync which to me makes sense at the speed the turbine spins. If not for better spooling or power it might be better for long term reliability. I will look into this more but right now I will not have the time to build one so will have to just make an adapter to use the well ported stock manifold which I prefer to test first anyway.

I have more room to fit a cat than others have since I built my custom exhaust with the connection from the DP to the exhaust well past the stock pile location so I can run a cat most likely if I chose to which I do prefer. Right now I am catless for some testing but may put one back in as it made very little difference taking it out, a 5" 100 cell cat flows pretty well but I think a 4" may be better as not spreading the exhaust out so far, the 5" may of actually be to big in diameter.
As for the firing sync, think of it like this. 4 cycle, 4 cylinder engine, one exhaust pulse every revolution. As long as your pipes are equal length then timing of the pulse energy remains,......... well equal ;).

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
Great explanation, very simple since all four go into the same turbo inlet and mix before they get there....thanks:)

I have never finished modding a car since I started modding nearly 47 years ago, always more ways to spend money on them....too many ways!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Dang, they sold the last EFR since I called them the other day, more on the way from BW but I might have a bit of a delay....that was after I just paid full price and tax to get the Cobb IC from the only place that had one in stock, oh well, only money and time......I am retired so I can adjust my schedule for the time and I can get more money, looks like a week delay at the most.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #49
Yes, it comes with and internal WG and a recirc valve for the compressor side so plug and play like the stock unit, very easy to tune.

----------------

If any of this has been already posted I apologize for that but just wanted to make sure these things are well spelled out and in one place.

I would much rather see this just happen by a competent vendor, manufacturer, etc but since not much has happened nor appears to be on the even near the horizon I am looking at every aspect of helping get a reasonable priced setup out there for us all. If somebody steps up to the plate and gets going on this I would not even do it and offer them my help to get it going, I do not need the business, it is just to help make it happen.

I am by no means a turbo expert, not even close. I have some experience but I am gathering info from very experienced real turbo experts on all I am doing and using several resources, including the help I get here on this great site, to do the very best I can for the best price I can do it. I had a good chat with somebody very experienced with this turbo as well as the GTX which is a great turbo as well but the EFR is simply the best as long as we get it to spool up well and be responsive when shifting, etc...like a bigger one on the FoST is already known for.

I have been asked before about going to an external WG but for now that is not in the plans unless I end up deciding a custom manifold is needed but that would drive up the cost considerably so I am going to get all I can out of the ported stock manifold first before considering that route. Even then an external WG might not be worth the added effort and cost to run one but that will be addressed upon findings using a totally stock EFR first.

If a custom manifold were to become needed it would be designed to be as compact and low weight and fast spooling as possible. Some of this has been previously mentioned but after looking at the EU results with the EFR and GTX compared to the Matt at Panda tuned GTX I feel we may be better off either stock(well ported very highly recommended) or a very short length and carefully chosen internal diameter of a custom manifold.

I have also been looking into a custom cast manifold that I expected to be released but that is way on a back burner so I am seeing what can be done to bring that to fruition if possible. It would be a relatively low cost easier to install option than porting a stock manifold and using an adapter to mount the turbo.

I am doing what I can to make this happen one way or another and I hope not just for me in the end:)

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Ok, more calls made....I will be working on fabricating a prototype stock manifold to T25 adapter as soon as I can when back in Utah, then I need to get it into solid works which I will need some help on, then I can get a batch CNC machined. I could sell these for a very reasonable price for small batch CNC but will have to get more exact info before working it out exactly.

If enough interest in these adapters I could then work on having them cast which is a 6-8 month process due to turn around, it would be in SS instead of high grade cast iron.

With this adapter any T25 frame turbo that clears the engine would bolt up and should fit most all ST's wherever distributed though RHD would have to be verified.

There might be enough room to have an external WG port on the adapter but it will be a close call due to how low the turbo ends up sitting, if possible I will design one in.

-------------

Now the question is, who wants to actually run a EFR or any other T25 based turbo that fits?

-------------

A custom cast manifold is out of the picture for now, just to costly unless at least 100 were put on a GB and the delay time is again 6-8 months, or longer.

------------

Of course I am not done looking but I want to keep you abreast of what I am finding and of course I want all the feedback I can get, keep it coming, please:)

Thanks
Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #51
NOTE:
I have had complaints in the past of making to many posts, rattling on, bragging, etc...some I agree with, some not so as I am just one more enthusiast excited by all this car mod stuff I have done all my life and love to share it.....

That said, do you want these kind of updates, when I learn something I post it, or do you want much less content and only when something actually happens or something in between?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated and considered as well as acted upon in the best way to make as many happy here as I can:)

Most sincerely,
Rick

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ummmm..... If its a standard T25 flange... What's stopping you from just buying an adaptor from ATP?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
ATP adapter is from stock manifold to V-Band, EFR is only made in T25.

I have emailed to see if they have a flange for the stock manifold but no response yet, seems their phones are disconnected as well.

I have a T25 flange on the way and another company searching for a BW, KP39 flange to fit the manifold, I sent them pics of the turbo and stock manifold as well.

They can get me a T25 to V-band and if ATP would sell me there billet GXT (all the APT ST kits have V-band housing mounts) adapter it would be simple to mount the turbo but not in a way I would be comfortable doing, to many parts, to many things to go wrong.

If I can get that then I can make a welded adapter to test fit and run to see how the EFR works out.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
UPDATE:)
EFR due to arrive tomorrow.
All other parts for the build are on hand or will be there in a few days.
Unfortunately I am still in AZ working on what became a far bigger remodel project than originally planned, I want to play with my new toys back home instead!!!!!