Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering purchasing 2017 ST

Hi Everyone,

New member here, and potential ST owner. I am considering purchasing a used Fiesta ST and wanted some feedback, in terms of known issues, cost of maintenance, longevity, etc.

I have owned 3 turbo vehicles to date, so I am quite familiar with their operation and maintenance. One of my primary concerns is purchasing a vehicle that might have been previously modified by a novice enthusiast leading to long term issues (i.e. modifying without proper re-tuning). I plan on having the vehicle independently inspected for engine compression and leakdown, and general items. I didn't do that on a previous vehicle (STi) and it lead to some big expenses down the road.

So any known issues to look for? Every vehicle line seems to have some weak points - on my previous STi it was the #4 cylinder/piston ring land cracking, and knock. On my current VW GTI it's the timing tensioner, PCV, high pressure fuel pump, port carbon due to DI.

Here is the link to the vehicle I'm looking at: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FAD...ile_Feed&partner=FBX_0&utm_term=6186800022674

$13,995
32,313 miles

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Real photos in the listing would have been nice, but not the end of the world. Look for a car with Recaros if you weigh under 220lbs, it's worth the ~$1K premium on the used market.

Here's a brain dump off the top of my head:

Stick with 2016+ to avoid issues with the cylinder head.

Check for axle seals that are really leaking, some weeping is OK and pretty normal.

Pay attention to how the transmission and clutch feel and sound; I have seen some issues with transmission failure on this forum and the FB groups which usually starts as a 4th gear whine. Row through all the gears and cruise with the windows up and down in every gear to ensure everything is quite. Listen for severe clunking in gears (could be due to a bad motor mount). I have also seen clutch slave cylinders go on these cars (clutch doesnt fully disengage or sinks right to the floor).

When the compression test is done, looks at the spark plugs. Check for evidence of detonation or blowby. It wouldn't hurt to pull a charge pipe and check for a lot of oil residue (some is normal but a lot could indicate a blown turbo), especially if already paying for a PPI and the car will be on a lift.

If you want to see if the vehicle is currently tuned: With the cruise control OFF, hit the "Cancel" button on the steering wheel. See if the RPM needle moves to "1". If it does, the vehicle has an aftermarket tune loaded via a Cobb Accessport.

Look for an aftermarket Rear Motor Mount (search this forum for installs showing it's location). If this has been upgraded, the previous owner likely installed some other aftermarket parts.

Once you purchase:

Change the transmission fluid to Ravenol or equivalent (search forum for why).
Change the oil (obvious reasons).
Change the spark plugs (read forum).
Upgrade Rear Motor Mount and consider upgrading the engine mounts as well if planning to tune the vehicle.

Will all that being said, these cars have proven to be stupid bulletproof if you don't upgrade the turbo. What I have mentioned above is by known means systematic issues just the more common failures I have seen a handful of times.

My car has been dead nuts reliable for 80k miles and had an aftermarket tune/intercooler starting at 5k miles (last 30k have been with an aftermarket turbo).

Hope this is helpful. There are other threads on this topic that would be worth a read; you will just have to search around for them.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also, for a 2016+, I would expect to pay between $12k-$15k for a Fiesta ST with Recaros and less than 30k miles. That would be my budget in the current environment.

Also, for a 2016+, I would expect to pay between $12k-$15k for a Fiesta ST with Recaros and less than 30k miles. That would be my budget in the current environment.
$12k for a '16 with Recaros and under 30k miles would be a smokin' hot deal (and I'd wonder what's wrong with it). Around $15-16k is the norm for that in most areas I've seen.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
$12k for a '16 with Recaros and under 30k miles would be a smokin' hot deal. Around $15-16k is the norm for that in most areas I've seen.
I've seen some pop up on the Facebook groups priced at $12k at that mileage - definitely not unheard of.

I've seen some pop up on the Facebook groups priced at $12k at that mileage - definitely not unheard of.
Solid deal from a private party sale: 13-14k. Dealer solid deal: 15-16k. If you can find it at $12k and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, don't hesitate, it won't be around long.

-edit-

Also, I'm 99% sure the linked car is a no options vehicle.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
@coyotesfan

Solid deal from a private party sale: 13-14k. Dealer solid deal: 15-16k. If you can find it at $12k and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, don't hesitate, it won't be around long.

-edit-

Also, I'm 99% sure the linked car is a no options vehicle.
Food for thought: I paid $16.7K in 2017 for a 2016 Model Year with 1.5K miles on it with Recaros and no sunroof, from a dealer. There are better deals out there than $15-16k on a dealer car that's now 3 years old.

I would take a look at the Cars for Sale page on this forum and Facebook groups. Some of the dealer prices are a bit insane in my opinion.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for quick responses!

Haven't even looked at the vehicle yet. Based on your feedback it seems $12-13K would be a reasonable price to shoot far during negotiations. Good to know about the no options vs. options models... was not aware of that.

Thanks very much for the inspection points JDG... will pass this along to the tech doing inspection (if I get this far).

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do it. Maybe not this one, but a 16+ is a solid car. Some of them have 100k miles with no major issues.

Hi Everyone,
Haven't even looked at the vehicle yet. Based on your feedback it seems $12-13K would be a reasonable price to shoot far during negotiations. Good to know about the no options vs. options models... was not aware of that.
If you're looking at a private sale. I wouldn't hope for $12-13k from a dealer unless it's older or higher miles.