Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering TD Pro Race 1.2 in 15x8. What do I give up?

I am considering going from my stock 17” rims to TD Pro Race 1.2 15x8. How much do I give up with steering feel and handling? I’m definitely looking for input from those who have made the switch.

Thanks,

George

You gain alot! Wider is better, lighter is better, more sidewall is more comfortable, and tires aren't too expensive either.

The sidewalls may flex a tad more but it's far outweighed by everything else... IMO

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You gain alot! Wider is better, lighter is better, more sidewall is more comfortable, and tires aren't too expensive either.

The sidewalls may flex a tad more but it's far outweighed by everything else... IMO
He will lose turn in. That can be a bigger deal if he does not have more power from a hybrid or larger turbo. He will also have a hard time fitting larger brakes. Because smalled rim diameter not impossible just harder. It will limit the larger brake options
Outside of going to 15’s for that 16’s are a nice compromise because they still can be a hell of a lot lighter and open up the larger brake option and do not effect turn in as much. You still get the wider track and you still have enough more sidewall for a much better ride as well. In a lot of ways the 16’s really are what the chassis was designed for. Not 17’s.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
For normal street driving you won’t notice a massive difference. Turn in will be a little less sharp feeling but tons of folks run 15s even for track use and like em.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
For normal street driving you won’t notice a massive difference. Turn in will be a little less sharp feeling but tons of folks run 15s even for track use and like em.
Operative words are and I quote “you won’t notice a massive difference.” :LOL: I don’t know man too me any noticable difference becomes a detriment. Oh and ya I have my 16’s setup to where there is no difference and I have had people comment about that fact.

anticon

If you do go that route you are probably going to be looking at 205/50 tires. 225 should fit but I have heard they are not optimal in cornering.

kevinatfms

I currently run 225/45R15's on 15x8 Dekagrams. You definitely lose turn in versus a 16/17" setup but the amount of grip allowable by the 15" setup cannot be beaten without cutting the car up. Grip will trump a 215/45R16 setup outright but fails to the 16/17" setups with the gearing issues.

Gearing with the 15" setups are too short for some tracks. It leads you to shift way too much or be out of the powerband in critical moments during events(especially if every second counts - autocross/timetrials).

If it could fit a 24" tire it would be the best for an E30 car on stock turbo or hybrid/big turbo. You would then hold 2nd or 3rd(depending on corner and speed) instead of downshifting.

For brakes, Boomba deflectors, Porterfield R4-1 pads, high temp fluid and some braided lines. Expect to swap discs out every 2-3 track days/events due to stress cracking. I do have an LSD which takes alot of the torque vectoring induced heat away from the brake system so my setup might not work for others that have it constantly kicking in. It adds ALOT of heat into the braking system and without ducting is just asking for a disaster on track.

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
At this point, my car is a three season DD and I don't do any racing (although a friend of mine is trying to suck me in). I'm weird in that I tend to like factory wheels and currently the only other wheels that grab me are the TD Pro Race 1.2 in the 15x8 size. I love the stock turn-in and handling but would like a little softer ride.

My plan was to pair the TD Pro Race 1.2 rims with Swift springs but another option may be to install KW V3 coilovers to adjust the ride and get rid of the gap. Any thoughts about this option?

Thanks,

George

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I currently run 225/45R15's on 15x8 Dekagrams. You definitely lose turn in versus a 16/17" setup but the amount of grip allowable by the 15" setup cannot be beaten without cutting the car up. Grip will trump a 215/45R16 setup outright but fails to the 16/17" setups with the gearing issues.

Gearing with the 15" setups are too short for some tracks. It leads you to shift way too much or be out of the powerband in critical moments during events(especially if every second counts - autocross/timetrials).

If it could fit a 24" tire it would be the best for an E30 car on stock turbo or hybrid/big turbo. You would then hold 2nd or 3rd(depending on corner and speed) instead of downshifting.

For brakes, Boomba deflectors, Porterfield R4-1 pads, high temp fluid and some braided lines. Expect to swap discs out every 2-3 track days/events due to stress cracking. I do have an LSD which takes alot of the torque vectoring induced heat away from the brake system so my setup might not work for others that have it constantly kicking in. It adds ALOT of heat into the braking system and without ducting is just asking for a disaster on track.
One could use one of the 200 tread wear 225/50-15s to cure that gearing problem, but yes, that makes for even less yet of that turn-in 'snap' (even on the stiffest side walled variants) that everyone on here puts the ultimate paramount importance on having.

kevinatfms

At this point, my car is a three season DD and I don't do any racing (although a friend of mine is trying to suck me in). I'm weird in that I tend to like factory wheels and currently the only other wheels that grab me are the TD Pro Race 1.2 in the 15x8 size. I love the stock turn-in and handling but would like a little softer ride.

My plan was to pair the TD Pro Race 1.2 rims with Swift springs but another option may be to install KW V3 coilovers to adjust the ride and get rid of the gap. Any thoughts about this option?

Thanks,

George
If you dont plan on racing but dont need the car for snow, a good ultra high performance summer tire in 225/45R15 would be perfectly fine. They really dont make anything but extreme performance / 200tw tires in that size though....

Stretching a 205 onto an 8" wheel is done all the time in the Miata world but alot of tire manufacturer's dont recommend it(99% state max 7.5" wide).

I would look at a 15x7 with a 205/50R15 since that size comes in plenty of 200-340tw rated tires in the extreme performance, max performance and ultra high performance tires. Continental has two Sport Contact versions which are max performance tires and can handle day to day better than a 200tw tire.

If you have to have the 15x8, then a 225/45R15 is perfect but your are going to be stuck with 200tw tire. Id look at the Hankook RS4 for its longevity, tread pattern which works in the wet along with its long term grip. I run them and find them to be good for a mid tier 200tw tire that will last a lifetime compared to just about every other 200tw tire while still giving enough grip to hit the b-roads or take on some autocross/track days. I dont daily drive my Fiesta but i beat the snot out of them on the weekends and at the track with great results, including some sub-40F days and alot of wet weather.

kevinatfms

One could use one of the 200 tread wear 225/50-15s to cure that gearing problem, but yes, that makes for even less yet of that turn-in 'snap' (even on the stiffest side walled variants) that everyone on here puts the ultimate paramount importance on having.
Another one that would be really close. I hate that we didnt get just the slightest bit more room under the fenders. A 24" tall tire is great for the gearing due to the ridiculous low end torque on the Fiesta. Another wonder is why they didnt offer a factory limited slip.

If you do go that route you are probably going to be looking at 205/50 tires. 225 should fit but I have heard they are not optimal in cornering.
Discount Tire will not mount a 205/50 on an 8" wheel which I just found out today. I'm not sure how many other major tire chains have the same policy.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Discount Tire will not mount a 205/50 on an 8" wheel which I just found out today. I'm not sure how many other major tire chains have the same policy.
Many on here it seems have LOCAL indie tire shops which will do this with no questions whatsoever asked, and no extra surcharge for doing so.

For me, I had to go to a local tuner shop, which charged me $225.00 to mount and road force balance 4 205/50-16 Neo Gens on 4 16x8 dekagrams, since they were the ONLY shop in my area willing to do this, at all.

anticon

Yeah, I have had to go to a local shop to get it done.

Lays

Many on here it seems have LOCAL indie tire shops which will do this with no questions whatsoever asked, and no extra surcharge for doing so.

For me, I had to go to a local tuner shop, which charged me $225.00 to mount and road force balance 4 205/50-16 Neo Gens on 4 16x8 dekagrams, since they were the ONLY shop in my area willing to do this, at all.
Man that's rough, the local tuner shop here mounted 215/35/18's on 18x10 and 225/35 on 18x10.5 on my girlfriends stance car for $100 and balanced too. 205 on an 8 is hardly a stretch at all, I'm surprised places won't touch it! Especially with 200TW stuff, usually those are wider than the size suggests.

Weird, Discount Tire mounted my 205/50 Indy 500s on my 16x8 Dekagrams without any hassle.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Man that's rough, the local tuner shop here mounted 215/35/18's on 18x10 and 225/35 on 18x10.5 on my girlfriends stance car for $100 and balanced too. 205 on an 8 is hardly a stretch at all, I'm surprised places won't touch it! Especially with 200TW stuff, usually those are wider than the size suggests.
Yeah, they look at the 'allowed' size wheels for a given tire, as per the manufacturers, and their CYA paranoia about liability suits kicks in.

Some even try to claim that they cannot even go a HALF INCH over on wheel width for a given tire's spec, BY LAW.