Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Constant knock

I just starting tuning my car and am currently running Cobb stage 1 93 octane. I monitor the knock counter and once my motor gets warm the counter will pop up to 1 then never go higher. Last night on a big pull shifting into 4th I felt a big knock. Am I just buying bad gas or am I doing something wrong I never do pulls when the temps are high and the car has only ever been fed 93.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is your O.A.R? Every single Engine will knock to a certain degree its how your engine reacts to that knock is the biggest thing.

slopoke

Just remember that the fuel delivery person can make a mistake and fill the premium tank with regular by accident. That's known as getting a tank of "Bad Gas". I'm not saying that it's what is going on with your car, but it's possible. If you are going to run Ethanol fuel, the chances of that are not as bad.

In the future, if you are going to use pump gas, I'd recommend that you add some octane booster such as Boostane or Torco, to lessen the chances of getting detonation due to a tank of bad gas, plus it ensures you get as much spark advance as possible. In my Mustang, I run Boostane to get the equivalent of 98ish octane, for peace of mind because, I've got a Whipple supercharger in it and don't want the engine to go Boom.

OP
aclausjr
Thread Starter #4
What is your O.A.R? Every single Engine will knock to a certain degree its how your engine reacts to that knock is the biggest thing.
I haven’t been monitoring that so I just pulled it up for my drive to work. It stayed at -1.00 the whole way (so no adjustment?). And my knock counter popped up to 1. I caught when the knock happened though I have a tendency to bog my motor a little in traffic it happened as a stepped off the gas to shift after going from like 1800-3000 rpm slowly in 3rd and my BOV made a different sound then usual. Maybe I’m just being over analytic of the knocking but it happens once on almost all of my drives.

OP
aclausjr
Thread Starter #5
Just remember that the fuel delivery person can make a mistake and fill the premium tank with regular by accident. That's known as getting a tank of "Bad Gas". I'm not saying that it's what is going on with your car, but it's possible. If you are going to run Ethanol fuel, the chances of that are not as bad.

In the future, if you are going to use pump gas, I'd recommend that you add some octane booster such as Boostane or Torco, to lessen the chances of getting detonation due to a tank of bad gas, plus it ensures you get as much spark advance as possible. In my Mustang, I run Boostane to get the equivalent of 98ish octane, for peace of mind because, I've got a Whipple supercharger in it and don't want the engine to go Boom.
Thanks I’ll pick up a bottle of octane booster to keep on hand incase I get a tank that’s causing a big adjustment for fuel.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks I’ll pick up a bottle of octane booster to keep on hand incase I get a tank that’s causing a big adjustment for fuel.
I get boostane small bottles off Amazon and keep some in my back cubby just in case I can't find e85...93....or only 91*

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts