Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Control Arm Upgrade/Bushings worth it?

Wondering how big of an effect upgraded control arms and/or bushings can have over a stock car with some miles. Is any torque steer reduced? Steering feel sharpened a bit? Is the juice worth the squeeze for a street car?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
A lot of that will depend on how beat up the ones you're replacing are. While I haven't done them on the Fist yet, I typically replace between 90k and 150k miles but have only ever replaced with oem for oem.

I have been eyeballing these on whoosh's site though, maybe someone who's used them or one of the other brands can provide some actual feedback

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ro-front-lower-control-arm-set-2014-fiesta-st

OP
GregF
Thread Starter #3
Given how squishy the motor mounts were I wouldn't be surprised if simply changing the bushings has an effect.

This one makes some bold claims:
"especially elimination of the tendency to "wave" during the acceleration phase"

Can it really have a noticeable effect on torque steer? I'm at 82k miles BTW.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...front-suspension-arms-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Those DNA look cool but pricey. I went with the SuperPro arms that add positive caster and it just tightened up my steering and ya did cut down some of the back and forth of TQ steer. I drove my friends car with the SuperPro bushings amf stock turbo and it was great. I have an S280 turbo so I have more TQ steer it did help .
It all depends on how serious one is and how much they deem they want to spend. Those DNA ones are track car moreso than track and street like the SuperPro.
YMMV

Dialcaliper

I think the biggest benefit to the bushings is being able to add a little bit of caster. Helped improve steering feel a fair amount, and helped correct for a bit of the “light” feeling that I got after the Delrin steering rack bushings were installed.

The poly is nominally a bit stiffer, but you’d also be well served by just replacing the fronts with fresh OEM bushings

I have not yet installed the rear poly bushings I have waiting, though supposedly they help with rear end stability. Can’t say one way or another until I actually put them in.

Given how squishy the motor mounts were I wouldn't be surprised if simply changing the bushings has an effect.

This one makes some bold claims:
"especially elimination of the tendency to "wave" during the acceleration phase"

Can it really have a noticeable effect on torque steer? I'm at 82k miles BTW.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...front-suspension-arms-kit-2014-2019-fiesta-st
I cannot speak for tubular arms on a fiesta, however. I had tubular arms on my old integra and s2000. Tubular/ lightweight arms will make a pretty big improvement for your car. Most of the time you are dropping a good amount of un sprung weight and that is the most important weight to get rid of for better handling.
Less un sprung weight gives the shocks the ability to do their job better.

OP
GregF
Thread Starter #8
Those DNA look cool but pricey. I went with the SuperPro arms that add positive caster and it just tightened up my steering and ya did cut down some of the back and forth of TQ steer. I drove my friends car with the SuperPro bushings amf stock turbo and it was great. I have an S280 turbo so I have more TQ steer it did help .
It all depends on how serious one is and how much they deem they want to spend. Those DNA ones are track car moreso than track and street like the SuperPro.
YMMV
Any downsides to the increase in caster?

Increase in caster usually helps the car self steer a little bit. Very helpful on corner exit imo. There is a point where too much caster is possible and you end up having the fight the wheel more than it helps. But you won't see that limit without some crazy new geometry tbh

The only thing I’ve noticed is that I get a bit more low speed “scrubbing” of the tires near lock trying to make sharp turns (like u-turns) unless I bring the car in fast and whip it around. The steering could tramline slightly more on rough surfaces. Half a degree is not a ton of extra caster.

Caster is usually only a downside with no power steering. Some German (basically autobahn) cars (Mercedes/BMW etc) noticably come factory with 7-8 degrees of caster. “Touring” cars prepped for racing with modified pickup points will achieve 10-15 degrees in an effort to pick up another degree or two of dynamic negative camber (it’s typically about 10:1 to caster angle)

In general, adding caster has way less disadvantage than additional negative camber.