Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant loss

Hi, unfortunately not :(

I have just purchased a uv dye kit going to see if that shows up anything over the weekend.
If not, I am at a total loss!!! It will have to go into a garage for further investigation to see if they can find an internal leak.

its so frustrating!!! I don’t want to start replacing parts if it doesn’t solve the problem but at the same time I just want it solved!!

I just want to be able to Drive my St to its potential when I can, at the moment I’m trying to drive it like it’s just a standard fiesta because im worried putting my foot down might cause more damage if something serious is wrong!!

If I figure it out or get it solved I will post on here, it might then help others in our situation.
Little update from my end: I jacked up the car and found some UV dye almost directly underneath the reservoir, and after some more looking, it seems like I have a small leak out of one of the nipples on the reservoir. I have the 14 fist with the egg style tank, so I just ordered the mishimoto reservoir tank from whoosh.

I didn't see any uv dye near the water pump or under the engine and I checked the spark plugs to see if they were too clean. So I'm pretty confident I just have a leaky tank. Weird that it passed a pressure test though.

I'm so excited that I don't have to replace the engine *knock on wood*

OP
K
Thread Starter #23
Okay, had a new issue tonight!! Ffs!! Probably all related!! I was driving at about 15 - 20 mph and the car starts jerking, stuttering and the exhaust started sounding very loud. I pulled to a stop and it was still juddering as if it was struggling to stay running. I turned the engine off and left it for a minute and started her up again, slight struggle and still jerking and stuttering. I pulled off and onto my drive and the exhaust sounded louder than normal again and still jerking.
I then turned off engine and left her for an hour to cool down, checked oil which was fine not creamy a little low so do need to this up, the coolant reservoir seems to have risen about 1 cm from this morning. I did find the clips to the coil packs were all undone, so when the chap I bought it off changed the spark plugs he must have forgot to do these up, Started her up again and she started fine and idle fine with no stuttering.
my thought is that it is now pointing more towards head gasket issues, what do you all think?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Purchase a block test kit. Have you looked at the plugs? Try swapping back to OEM plugs. Cold plugs are more susceptible to fouling and once they're fouled, will continue to miss either until the engine gets hot enough to clean them up, (if it can run well enough to get there,) or until they're removed and the ignition surfaces manually cleaned. If your coils had detached causing unreliable ignition, that may also contribute to fouling.

OP
K
Thread Starter #25
Right!! Done everything I can do myself!!
Block test/ combustion test = negative
Pressure test = fine
UV dye test = no visible leaks
Tried to take spark plugs out today = struggled on first one and as I am no mechanic I panicked and don’t want to break it so gave up! lol At least I’ve had ago!!

so she is being dropped off to a mechanic tomorrow so he can do further tests/checks and knows what he is looking at and doing! Lol

Ford SVT & ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Hey you did a great job! Its ok to take it to a pro once you have done all you can do!!
Hope it is not an expensive fix for u!!!!!

OP
K
Thread Starter #27
Hi all,

so the bloke done another pressure test but for longer than I did.

he said it did lose pressure but only a little, he said best case scenario it is the head gasket but could also be a cracked cylinder head :(

he also said it is that small that it could go on months before getting worse. He suggested selling the car :(

I would like your thoughts……would you get the work done and have it stripped down and investigated further and replace the required parts on the engine or would you cut your losses and sell the car!!

I’m so gutted!! I have said to my other half I would like the work done as we got a loan to buy the car so if we sell it will be at a loss, we will still have to pay loan off and also still buy another car. But is it worth having the work done??? As I imagine it is going to cost worst case scenario £2000 at least to fix.

What would you guys do??

OP
K
Thread Starter #30
Me again!! Lol

so the chap doing my car has only just started my car today. No bother I know he’s busy and has fitted me in at very short notice.

anyway my husband called him today to see how he was getting and to see if he has found anything yet and if we need to get any parts.

he said he has only managed to get the inter cooler off as he had other jobs to do.

However he did say there was water in my intercooler! My hubby didn’t ask anymore question and I’m now curious as to what it could be.

have you guys/gals got any ideas at all? Could it still be head gasket?? Or possibly leaking turbo??