Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COOLERWORX Pro Short Shifter Installation Tips & Tricks + Linkage Redesign Discussion

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Are the ball studs the same diameter thread as the old version? Did they explain how this solves the problem? I still can't understand how this would fix the issue...
I’ll measure it for you. One sec.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Are the ball studs the same diameter thread as the old version? Did they explain how this solves the problem? I still can't understand how this would fix the issue...
7A9C31BB-CCFC-4AEE-A0AE-F713E6151101.jpeg EC5DC4B0-2FEC-4561-9D79-462E3F7A2BA5.jpeg C745191F-43DF-407E-8C3C-724D4532563D.jpeg

Last edited:
Who knows man. Maybe you caught them at the perfect time and he’ll pack and ship it today lol.
Lol knowing my luck I doubt it. I bought a set of Klipsch speakers and have been dealing with Customer Service for over a month.

I have a saying: "Due to unusually high call volume" is short for "We understaff our customer service department and don't care about you after your purchase"

Notice the old dogleg design in mine above. Here is the new version you have to get directly from Coolerworx. It took a lot of following up to finally get them to ship these. Communication is poor. Mine hasn’t broken, but it was absolutely necessary to have the new parts available in the event the shifter breaks during a track weekend. The shifter feels phenomenal but I’d buy a CAE or wait for ZeroPointOne to finish theirs if I did it again. I can’t stand businesses with shitty communication.

View attachment 34598
I'm glad to actually see the new part separate from the shifter, it confirms that my shifter has the new setup. If you install the new part, I'm curious how it changes shifter feel. There's definitely something a little odd when you pull it over to first and second

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #208
Thanks - but what about the thread diameter? Can you eyeball it with the calipers without removing? If it's 6mm, they haven't changed the ball stud at all. I don't understand how this is an improvement, I am actually baffled.. Hoping someone can chime in and explain why this will fix the issue of the ball studs shearing..

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thanks - but what about the thread diameter? Can you eyeball it with the calipers without removing? If it's 6mm, they haven't changed the ball stud at all. I don't understand how this is an improvement, I am actually baffled.. Hoping someone can chime in and explain why this will fix the issue of the ball studs shearing..
It’s the same as the old one from what I can tell. I’ll confirm when I swap it out but that’s gonna be awhile. I bought the balls you listed and it’s definitely not as thick as they are.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #210
It’s the same as the old one from what I can tell. I’ll confirm when I swap it out but that’s gonna be awhile. I bought the balls you listed and it’s definitely not as thick as they are.
What you could do once you swap out, is have your buddy carefully drill/tap the old linkage for the bigger studs. And then have him weld them in to reinforce them (there isn't much material left for the larger ball studs with the CW aluminum linkage). Obviously this may present a challenge due to dissimilar metals but you may be able to get creative for a reliable solution on the cheap as a backup linkage.

If the ball stud shears at radius between the end of the ball and the start of the threads, changing ball diameter shouldn't make a difference. The small 6mm cross-section would remain.
Perhaps they went to an off the shelf part with a larger ball/same 6mm thread, but some improved heat treat/coating? If so it's not obvious from looking at the photo above. :unsure:

FYI to anyone looking to buy one of these, the customer service they provide is a joke. I've been following up everyday to get the correct joint to fix this shifter, and I've heard nothing from them. I get on the online chat and get a "We'll get those parts shipped out today" and get ghosted after the conversation is over.

So yeah, when I get the new joint expect to see my shifter for sale. I won't support a company isn't willing to stand behind their products.

Finally got around to fixing my reverse issue, turns out it was nothing wrong with the shifter. I had pinched a wire on my taillight, it popped the fuse

Thinking about getting one of these shifters. Has anyone had anymore problems with them? Did the revised version hold up long term and fix the problem?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My son has had one for the last couple months and has had no complaints.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thinking about getting one of these shifters. Has anyone had anymore problems with them? Did the revised version hold up long term and fix the problem?
I still have the old style linkage installed and haven’t had any issues. I have the newer link in my box as a spare but so far the old one has been fine.

ronmcdon

Thank you so much guys for all the feedback here!

Was on the verge of getting this and put in my order at Whoosh but decided to cancel on it after all the useful info on this thread. Shame bc would have been the perfect part for me otherwise.
Would have gotten it for sure if it were just a daily driver, but seems riskier if one has to drive out for driving events. Plan to drive out to Laguna Seca next month and it would horrify me to get stranded 5 hrs away from home with the linkage going out.

btw - curious what some of you think of the CAE shifter. Don't mind the premium if the reliability is there.
https://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ultra-shifter-ford-fiesta/

Last edited:
Have mine on my Track Car since April 2019 and its working Great, was one of the first to became the new Linkage from Beginning. I ordered direct from Coolerworx in Lithuania cause i am located in Germany.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thank you so much guys for all the feedback here!

Was on the verge of getting this and put in my order at Whoosh but decided to cancel on it after all the useful info on this thread. Shame bc would have been the perfect part for me otherwise.
Would have gotten it for sure if it were just a daily driver, but seems riskier if one has to drive out for driving events. Plan to drive out to Laguna Seca next month and it would horrify me to get stranded 5 hrs away from home with the linkage going out.

btw - curious what some of you think of the CAE shifter. Don't mind the premium if the reliability is there.
https://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ultra-shifter-ford-fiesta/
I didn't know there was a CAE for our cars. Every review I've seen says these are the standard when it comes to high performance shifters. Anodized black for 1,600 is a lot to swallow but it's definitely on my to do list now.