Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COOLERWORX Pro Short Shifter Installation Tips & Tricks + Linkage Redesign Discussion

Mine broke 3 days ago. I daily my car. Not crazy jamming gears everywhere. Crazy how this happened. Feel like it’s gonna happen again.

Attachments

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #82
Mine broke 3 days ago. I daily my car. Not crazy jamming gears everywhere. Crazy how this happened. Feel like it’s gonna happen again.
Holy shit! Same fucking place as mine! Shoot me a PM, I'll send you my cell phone number - we can talk more about my upgrade.

If you purchased from @ron@whoosh , I believe he has the replacement ball studs in stock if you need to get up and running quick. If he can't help you, I can overnight you one tomorrow to get you back up and running.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Holy shit! Same fucking place as mine! Shoot me a PM, I'll send you my cell phone number - we can talk more about my upgrade.

If you purchased from @ron@whoosh , I believe he has the replacement ball studs in stock if you need to get up and running quick. If he can't help you, I can overnight you one tomorrow to get you back up and running.
he received his replacement in 2 days from us. He's all good now again

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #92
Makes sense to have 1 or 2 spare in the car
Need to take the center console out to effectively get to the broken part. Would need to keep more than just a few spares in the car unfortunately..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #96
So since 5 people have asked me so far:

I can make the upgraded linkage for you assembled for $300 (includes bearings and ball studs installed).

The linkage only is $275. Both options are going to be bare carbon steel, no paint.

I talked with the shop and if I can get three people interested at once, it will knock $50 off the price for each unit (linkage only or assembly).

So if a few people are interested we are talking $225 linkage only and $250 assembled.

I know it’s expensive but unfortunately the folks I work with are making this with a 4-axis mill and I don’t have time right now to get better pricing elsewhere to have it fabricated on a CNC.

This upgraded linkage should remove most of your fears about this failure. I did an analysis of the whole unit and the next weakest point based on the forces seen and motion of the unit is the ball stud on the physical shifter (that you move with your hand). Redesigning these threads would be a little more complicated and is not a priority right now.

If folks are interested let me know and I’ll keep track to see if we can get the better pricing.

Thanks!

I can make the upgraded linkage for you assembled for $300 (includes bearings and ball studs installed).

The linkage only is $275. Both options are going to be bare carbon steel, no paint.

I talked with the shop and if I can get three people interested at once, it will knock $50 off the price for each unit (linkage only or assembly).

So if a few people are interested we are talking $225 linkage only and $250 assembled.

I know it’s expensive but unfortunately the folks I work with are making this with a 4-axis mill and I don’t have time right now to get better pricing elsewhere to have it fabricated on a CNC.

This upgraded linkage should remove most of your fears about this failure. I did an analysis of the whole unit and the next weakest point based on the forces seen and motion of the unit is the ball stud on the physical shifter (that you move with your hand). Redesigning these threads would be a little more complicated and is not a priority right now.

If folks are interested let me know and I’ll keep track to see if we can get the better pricing.

Thanks!

Why can't you just burn it out on a plasma table then just drill 3 holes?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Thanks!

im still interested either way

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Agreed. I don't have time in my life to get a tow if I lose my gears. Might take it off the car this weekend before AutoX.
Kinda defeats the entire reason we bought this shifter lol. Wish I had a way to help @JDG mass produce his "fix" so we can save money. Sometimes it takes a few of us to be guinea pigs. This is one of those times.

Kinda defeats the entire reason we bought this shifter lol. Wish I had a way to help @JDG mass produce his "fix" so we can save money. Sometimes it takes a few of us to be guinea pigs. This is one of those times.
For real, haha. Should've just bought a LSD.

Not trying to flame Coolerworkx, though. My shifts feel amazing. For all I know, it could work great forever. As forum people, we're obviously more vocal about issues with products. I'd like to think Coolerworkx is working on a solution that we should see soon. Fingers crossed its never an issue.