Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Crash bars. Interested?

I had this up in anot her thread about a certain wing, but it maybe got passed over. I have been talking with Street Faction about doing a front and rear crash bar set (and wing *cough*). All we need are 5 people in to get them produced. So who wants some?

Front:
1)Jeffreylyon
2)Thirty-Two
3)
4)
5)

Rear
1)Jeffreylyon
2)Thirty-Two
3)
4)
5)

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sign me up for both, esp. if they have nuts for toe eyes (f and r) and tabs for an oil cooler. I know that somebody mentioned jack points but I can't ready see how that would work without cutting a big chuck out of the bumper covers.

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #4
The bars start at $175 for the front and $150 for the rear. As options go up, the price does too. Either way. Fully loaded should be $400 max for the front and a bit less for the rear. The final design and price would be set after we have the 5 people at least interested.

Pete

I know you are trying to get different options Noodles. DHM sells both front and rear crash bars. The price difference for the front crash bar that you posted and what DHM sells their for is a huge difference. However the rear crash bar is the same price if you wanted something right away. I have both on my car and they are a direct fit. http://deadhookmotorsports.com/Fies...ook-Motorsports-Fiesta-ST-Race-Rear-Crash-Bar

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #6
I know you are trying to get different options Noodles. DHM sells both front and rear crash bars. The price difference for the front crash bar that you posted and what DHM sells their for is a huge difference. However the rear crash bar is the same price if you wanted something right away. I have both on my car and they are a direct fit. http://deadhookmotorsports.com/Fies...ook-Motorsports-Fiesta-ST-Race-Rear-Crash-Bar
I'm doing it for the time attack wing that they also make. The crash bars are just a happy bonus. Also if I can at least get a jack point on one end, I'll be a happy camper.

I'm interested, but only with front/rear jack points, while trying to keep the bumper covers untouched, otherwise it just won't be practical enough for me.

Now if we sign up, would we have to be committed to buying it?

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #8
I'm interested, but only with front/rear jack points, while trying to keep the bumper covers untouched, otherwise it just won't be practical enough for me.

Now if we sign up, would we have to be committed to buying it?
Right now, no commitment. Once we have the 5 and agree on design and price. Then everybody will need to be committed with money ready a couple weeks after prototyping.

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #12
Has anyone else made a crash bar like this or is this a first?
DHM makes them but there is a significant price difference. Also at this point we could have features added to these bars that are not currently offered, such as front and rear jack points and tabs for oil coolers.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Adding jack points will cause the weight of the units to be much higher than can be done without, possibly double or more than what the DHM bars weigh.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are these (and are the DHMs currently) going to be made out of chromoly steel, or the less 'brittle', but heavier, DOM type, thick walled, steel tubing (like some racing organizations require for their cage tubing)??

Weight savings is one thing (and it is YES VERY important to get it off of the front end of these cars), but, IF these, (and the DHMs) are supposed to be 'streetable', and not exclusively road/drag racing items, their strength in a front end collision are paramount, especially if they are the only thing protecting an $800.00 IC, and $1000.00 radiator and oil cooler combo! [wink]

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #15
Are these (and are the DHMs currently) going to be made out of chromoly steel, or the less 'brittle', but heavier, DOM type, thick walled, steel tubing (like some racing organizations require for their cage tubing)??

Weight savings is one thing (and it is YES VERY important to get it off of the front end of these cars), but, IF these, (and the DHMs) are supposed to be 'streetable', and not exclusively road/drag racing items, their strength in a front end collision are paramount, especially if they are the only thing protecting an $800.00 IC, and $1000.00 radiator and oil cooler combo! [wink]
I can't speak for DHM but I'll ask Street Faction about the materials, stay tuned.

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #16
They got back to me really quick today and this is what the had to say about the materials.

We use 1.5x.120 mild steel tubing and they're TIG welded by our certified aerospace TIG welder!
I knew it would come up about using different materials so I went ahead and asked for Chromoly or DOM options. And this is what I got back.

We use mild steel. The reasoning behind that is so if impact does happen, the bar will take the damage instead of the chassis of the vehicle. I've attached two photos of vehicles that have been involved in an accident with both our front and rear bars.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
There is a reason why jack points are on the sides of the car, far stiffer without adding a bunch of weight as already a very solid area to work from. A jack point on the front or rear would require a lot more material and then as you can see from the pics, barely any chassis damage with a bar designed to give in, a stiff bar would cause far more damage than it would be worth having.

My last race car build I designed jack points that tied to the x braces and lower bars in the door and used side braces as well as dimple die sheet metal, it only added 3 lbs per side of the car to have an incredibly strong single sided jack point and made the door bars even more solid than without them.

I built my cages out of 1.75" x.095" DOM and then used smaller tubing where I could, I think that size tubing and in DOM would be about the same weight, a bit stiffer than mild steel but not to stiff and about the same weight as 1.5"x .120 mild steel. When I get a chance to dig the tubing bender, dimple dies, etc out of storage I am going to sell them as done building roll bars and cages now.

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #19
I'm getting itchy - can the vendor offer any weight estimates to keep me patient?
I'll shoot him an email right now. He is also going to let me know when I can get in to have the jig made.