Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

curious about 'B-Spec' size wheel/tire set ups??

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
It's odd that I do hear owners of all types of cars at autocross talking about going down sizes. Very odd. Then there's the people at events concerned about looks and stance at events getting the slow times of the day.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It's odd that I do hear owners of all types of cars at autocross talking about going down sizes. Very odd. Then there's the people at events concerned about looks and stance at events getting the slow times of the day.
That's not really odd at all. If you're solely performance-oriented then there's really only one wheel/tire combo that is going to be truly 'the best' for the racing application. Whether it nets better times or not is going to depend 100% on the driver because you have to be extremely consistent to actually see a gain/loss. The majority of 'average' drivers aren't going to overly care and the lack of many racing videos/discussions (as a whole, but there are some) in this community leads me to believe that there isn't a very large group of members, at least on this forum, that actually race.

My FiST has been down the drag strip (only one application of racing, not the 'only' application) on exactly one single night out of 28k miles. That's not enough for me to justify riding on wheels that I personally don't like the look of. If I was racing every weekend I might feel differently, but I'm not so I don't. Performance-oriented drivers can consider me 'wrong' for not wanting the most performance I can possibly get but they're wrong because I don't need or want it for my driving application.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Make sure you can get track tires in the size you want to run before going to the 17x8 setup, that is a big issue with 17's on this car, not many tires to pick from.

There are some flow formed 16's in the works but no date expected yet, 7,8,9 wide, 4x100, good offsets for the car(9's require rear camber change and rolled and pulled fenders all around) They should be in the 14lb range and fit the WW BBK, they are theh Advanti Storm made my Konig

My 15x8 and 15x9 wheels fit over my front and rear DIY BBK with 11.75 front rotors, it is becoming available as a kit.

I might switch to 15x10 front and 15x9 rear, 245 and 225 race tires, 6 ul wheels or go nuts if any good flares every come out, 15x11 6ul and 275 race tires all around:)

-------------

I do not like either of the red cars setup though if had to pick it would be the one with wheels that do not likely weigh 26lbs or more and barely any tire on them.

I agree, to each his own, I just prefer to setup my car to drive it more than look at it:)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I set up my car to drive too, nearly 30k and still driving effectively...because I actually drive mine.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just did a quick look, so far just two DOT track tires found that will work on the 17x8 and fit properly under the car, enough sidewall support, etc....

R888, 205/40/17, 23.5 diameter, 7.8 tread width which is about the perfect amount of stretch, 19lbs which is great, and they last quite awhile and easy to drive at the limit.

Federal RSR RR in 215/40/17, 23.9 diameter, getting a bit tall, 7.7 tread width, 22lbs.

If you want to run max summer tires then a few more choices but going to be slower and sometimes wear out faster depending on how fast you and your car is.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have a question for those who went down to 16" wheels- do you feel that you lost some of the crisp turn-in, was the steering and handling less precise, and did the ride improve significantly?

I am concerned with function over looks,so my primary goal in changing wheels would be to reduce unsprung weight. I think that's the single best thing you can do to improve performance.It would seem 16's would be better than 17's for that.however, I would probably get Pro Race 1.2's. the 17x7 in that weighs about 5 lb. less than stock, great. A 16x7 in that wheel only weighs .7 lb less than the 17,according to their vendor's forum. But here's where it gets interesting: when I look at 205/45-16 tires,most weigh 2-3 lb. MORE than the 205/40-17 oem's, I guess because of the taller sidewalls. So the way I would do it, all-important unsprung weight is lower with 17's!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A bit more info will help us help you sort this out.

1) what kind of tires are you looking for, AS, max summer only, mid but great summer only, etc?
2) budget idea

To get the real specs in tires you have to skip the generic and often misleading sidewall sizes and look at the section width and tread width as well as diameter and then weight of course.

If you want all out grip this is one of the very best, a bit expensive, a better fit than the below tire on a 7" wheel with 7.1 tread width, 19lbs. RE-71R, 205/45/16

Here is a very good tire for the money, Sport Comp 2, 205/45/16, 21lbs so not real low but not bad, 8" tread width and one of the few tires that seems to work well on what I normally consider to narrow a wheel for that wide a tread, 7" seems pretty good with this particular tire though I would personally prefer it on an 8" wheel for more sidewall support, feedback, responsiveness.

As you can see significant differences with the same sidewall numbers.

A great wheel for the money is the Maxxim Winner made by Konig, well made and finished, 16lb range, can be found for under $100.

16x8 is the perfect all around wheel size for this car but there are few made, very expensive, have to order and wait a long time forged wheels, the Rota Slipstream, not my style and not a super strong wheel but a decent wheel, have to order, wait, actually some are being imported I believe if the GB worked out. There is the 14.4 lb Enkei PRF1, 4x100 conversion required, a very good wheel but I am pretty sure will not fit over the 12.19" WW BBK but will fit over the 11.75" kit I developed and a company is starting to offer.

An important aspect to consider is even if tires weigh the same the further out the tire is the more effect the weigh has on all areas of performance.

Unless you get some very soft 17's or very hard 16's the 16's will ride much better in most all cases which also reduces wear and tare on the chassis.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have a question for those who went down to 16" wheels- do you feel that you lost some of the crisp turn-in, was the steering and handling less precise, and did the ride improve significantly?

I am concerned with function over looks,so my primary goal in changing wheels would be to reduce unsprung weight. I think that's the single best thing you can do to improve performance.It would seem 16's would be better than 17's for that.however, I would probably get Pro Race 1.2's. the 17x7 in that weighs about 5 lb. less than stock, great. A 16x7 in that wheel only weighs .7 lb less than the 17,according to their vendor's forum. But here's where it gets interesting: when I look at 205/45-16 tires,most weigh 2-3 lb. MORE than the 205/40-17 oem's, I guess because of the taller sidewalls. So the way I would do it, all-important unsprung weight is lower with 17's!
You're definitely right about the same-wheel comparison and a lot of people don't look that far into it. On the flip-side, there are significantly lighter 16's if you swap bolt patterns. Most people don't want that added expense/inconvenience, though.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
You're definitely right about the same-wheel comparison and a lot of people don't look that far into it. On the flip-side, there are significantly lighter 16's if you swap bolt patterns. Most people don't want that added expense/inconvenience, though.

And many people don't look into actual wheel weights. I know my td wheels weren't the said weight.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Make sure you can get track tires in the size you want to run before going to the 17x8 setup, that is a big issue with 17's on this car, not many tires to pick from.

There are some flow formed 16's in the works but no date expected yet, 7,8,9 wide, 4x100, good offsets for the car(9's require rear camber change and rolled and pulled fenders all around) They should be in the 14lb range and fit the WW BBK, they are theh Advanti Storm made my Konig

My 15x8 and 15x9 wheels fit over my front and rear DIY BBK with 11.75 front rotors, it is becoming available as a kit.

I might switch to 15x10 front and 15x9 rear, 245 and 225 race tires, 6 ul wheels or go nuts if any good flares every come out, 15x11 6ul and 275 race tires all around:)

-------------

I do not like either of the red cars setup though if had to pick it would be the one with wheels that do not likely weigh 26lbs or more and barely any tire on them.

I agree, to each his own, I just prefer to setup my car to drive it more than look at it:)
I've already done my homework Rick. I was planning on getting the Toyos for the few track days I will attend this year (around 3) and federal 595 Evo for street, which are a great max performance street tire that is very inexpensive. Have run these with great results on my last two NB Miatas.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
That's odd, mine were.

Why even get aftermarket wheels if not concerned with performance or track? To me people that build cars for show are just like being a poser. All about looking like performance car but no idea how to even use it like one......

GAbOS

I got some of the last batch of the 595SS, predecessor of the Evo and I found them to be a bit hard. They lasted a good while but they were on/off on what they wanted to do. It was a very stiff sidewall as well. Has that much changed to the Evo?

GAbOS

Why even get aftermarket wheels if not concerned with performance or track? To me people that build cars for show are just like being a poser. All about looking like performance car but no idea how to even use it like one......
That's a huge call out.

People want to be different. I've always owned multiple wheels per car. I just get bored. My DD cars never get springs. I always go struts only, so I'm not a stance guy either. I do my best to make the most of the car on the cheap.

I'm no poser, just a wheel whore.

btw.. anyone need factory EvoX enkei's w/595ss?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
One thing I find amusing in all of this back and forth banter, is that I keep saying that the vast majority of miles my car sees are on the road, NOT Track. The roads where I live are great and largely smooth so. Don't need to go small for comforts sake. I'm not into stance at the cost of destroying this car's main virtue...its handling, but neither do I feel the need to go with little wheels because it's going to help me eek out a better lap time. If you guys do....amazing, great, fantastic. Knock yourselves out. I like the way my car looks with the stock 17 size and it handles just fine to me. Rick, I know that you are ever in the pursuit of better lap times, more power, better handling and braking & I applaud you for it. I'm not there yet with this car. It's my daily for the time being and I have a specific vision for what I want it to be. At this time that includes 17" wheels. I'll leave the rest of this thread to the rest of you guys. Hope you guys have a great Memorial Day weekend. #dyn085

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I got some of the last batch of the 595SS, predecessor of the Evo and I found them to be a bit hard. They lasted a good while but they were on/off on what they wanted to do. It was a very stiff sidewall as well. Has that much changed to the Evo?
I find the 595 Evo to be just as grippy as the 595 SS but not as rock hard. Also a bit more progressive in terms of adhesion limits. I found the 595 SS to grip then suddenly when it's at its limits it would break free. The Evo lets you know when your reaching its limits. It talks to you more.

GAbOS

One thing I find amusing in all of this back and forth banter, is that I keep saying that the vast majority of miles my car sees are on the road, NOT Track. The roads where I live are great and largely smooth so. Don't need to go small for comforts sake. I'm not into stance at the cost of destroying this car's main virtue...its handling, but neither do I feel the need to go with little wheels because it's going to help me eek out a better lap time. If you guys do....amazing, great, fantastic. Knock yourselves out. I like the way my car looks with the stock 17 size and it handles just fine to me. Rick, I know that you are ever in the pursuit of better lap times, more power, better handling and braking & I applaud you for it. I'm not there yet with this car. It's my daily for the time being and I have a specific vision for what I want it to be. At this time that includes 17" wheels. I'll leave the rest of this thread to the rest of you guys. Hope you guys have a great Memorial Day weekend. #dyn085
Thank you for putting it so smoothly. Rick can get on. Don't hate me, Rick!

I don't really want the OE wheels on this car and I need to nab the dwindling set of K5R's on TireRack. I would go 16x8 for summer if I had a real option, but i don't. :( (shh. Rota GB)

GAbOS

I find the 595 Evo to be just as grippy as the 595 SS but not as rock hard. Also a bit more progressive in terms of adhesion limits. I found the 595 SS to grip then suddenly when it's at its limits it would break free. The Evo lets you know when your reaching its limits. It talks to you more.
A huge thanks! You are absolutely right about the SS. I had AWD to pull myself out of those snaps before and was worried I wouldn't be able to with FWD. The SS where FAT tires tho. I ran 235/45 on a 8.5 and they were bulging.