Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cylinder Compression Test and Borescope at 110k

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I did some routine maintenance this weekend; oil/filter change, tire rotation, and spark plugs. I wanted to do a compression test on the cylinders just to check them so I purchased a compression tester on Amazon recently. I had also purchased a wireless borescope on Amazon prior to this with the intention of scoping my intake valves at some point but then figured I'd scope the cylinders as well since I'm changing plugs.

The compression test went well. I did some research on the procedure and basically followed the How To guide published by Stratifed, found here.

Tools
Innova 3613 OHC Compression Tester
KYZEE Wireless Endoscope

Environmental Factors
Elevation - 900 ft. above sea level
Temperature - 85 F
Humidity - 45%
Pressure - 29.94 inHg

Engine
Mileage - 110,000
Oil change interval - every 5,000 miles
Oil - Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend
Oil filter - Motorcraft FL400S
Gasoline - 91 (winter) / E30 (summer)
Spark plug change interval - every 20,000 miles
Oil catch can - installed at 30,000 miles

Procedure
I made sure the engine was warmed up from normal driving. After 10 minutes with the engine off, I started by removing all four coil packs and spark plugs. I started the compression test on cylinder #1 (closest to timing belt). My expected pressure for each cylinder was roughly 147 psi. That pressure is based on multiplying the engine compression ratio (10:1) by atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). My location is 900 ft. above sea level so technically atmospheric pressure should be 14.4 psi but then you can also factor in ambient temperature. I'm not trying to be that technical, I just want to make sure all 4 cylinders are reading within 10% of each other. The other factor is my equipment but it seemed to be holding pressure just fine based on the initial testing I performed.

With the clutch and gas pedal fully depressed, I pressed the engine start button once and let the engine crank until it was done (roughly 23 revolutions/cranks). This may be overkill for the procedure but I wasn't going to try and stop the engine cranking and get arbitrary results if I didn't stop the crank cycle at the same point every time for each cylinder. For the first test I used the included 8" extension that came with the kit and my first reading was 110 psi. I thought that was low so I made sure everything was tight and cranked the engine over again. I was still only getting 110 psi. I removed the extension and cranked the engine again, this time I reached 180 psi which seemed better to me so I continued the test without the 8" extension from the kit.

Compression Test Results
Cylinder #1 - 180 psi
Cylinder #2 - 180 psi
Cylinder #3 - 180 psi
Cylinder #4 - 176 psi

Cylinder Borescope Inspection
The bore scope has somewhat of a fisheye effect so the pictures might look a little distorted/stretched. I basically wanted to look for carbon build up, cylinder wall damage, piston damage, etc. I snapped a pic for the back side and front side of the piston. For picture reference, front side indicates the side that faces the front of the vehicle.

Last edited:

koozy

3000 Post Club
Looks good, but need photos of the top of the valve to get a better read because they don’t get washed by fuel like the combustion chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #4
Looks good, but need photos of the top of the valve to get a better read because they don’t get washed by fuel like the combustion chamber.

Absolutely agree. This was done through the spark plug holes.

I plan to scope the intake valves in late August or September when I have the TB off. I want to try and snake the borescope through the intake manifold to get to the intake valves. Not sure if it will work; I don't know what the inside of the intake manifold looks like or how difficult it will be to get the borescope through it but I'm sure going to try!

koozy

3000 Post Club
Absolutely agree. This was done through the spark plug holes.

I plan to scope the intake valves in late August or September when I have the TB off. I want to try and snake the borescope through the intake manifold to get to the intake valves. Not sure if it will work; I don't know what the inside of the intake manifold looks like or how difficult it will be to get the borescope through it but I'm sure going to try!
MAP sensor location, top of the manifold passenger side may be a viable access point. With the sensor removed the hole may be large enough.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #6
MAP sensor location, top of the manifold passenger side may be a viable access point. With the sensor removed the hole may be large enough.
Good thinking [emoji1303] I might try that

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #7
Well, I was able to get the borescope into the cylinder #1 intake valves. I wasn't able to get to the other cylinders from the MAP sensor location though. When I have the TB off next month I should be able to check the other intake valves.

I snapped a pic of each intake valve on cylinder #1. They have some carbon build up but that was expected. They actually look decent for 110k IMO but could def use a good cleaning. I'm not having any engine issues so scoping the valves is just for inspection/evaluation. I've seen other pics of Ecoboost intake valves online and they were much worse but at that point they were having engine issues as well.

Not having any way to clean/wash the intake valves, I'm glad I have an oil catch can to help keep some of the oil from going into the intake and onto the valves. I'll start a new thread once I get all the valves inspected in the next month so everything is in one place.

^^^A good reason to add Aux fuel. I'm planning to do single port Aux fuel so it'll be nice to check the cylinder #1 valves after running it for a while for comparison. Obviously 4 port would have a greater effect but I'm doing single port partially for ease of install and partially to see how effective it is. I think it will work well with my hybrid turbo. When I go BT, I'll step up to 4 port as well but that's later down the road.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #9
Will you now consider making a plug and play harness for the aux fuel? [emoji857]

It's a possibility. I thought they all came with plug n' play wiring harnesses?

Mitch at CPE makes his own harnesses. I won’t be near my car for a while but Typhoon is having his 4 port done in the next few days. I’m sure he’ll be happy to share pics and details

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #12
Nope, you need to either tap or solder into ~5 wires. Coils and MAP.

I just ordered all the connectors and terminals I should need to build jumpers between all the connectors. We'll see how it turns out. The MAP sensor connector(s) were not easy to find since the exact connector is currently unavailable for retail purchase (probably reserved for major manufacturers in the automotive industry) but I believe I ordered a set that should work.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I just ordered all the connectors and terminals I should need to build jumpers between all the connectors. We'll see how it turns out.
Good news. I hope it’s easy for you. Put me down for #1 if you make more to sell.

Also, did you try this hole above the throttle body with the borescope?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Will you now consider making a plug and play harness for the aux fuel? [emoji857]

Already been done son by Mitch at CP-E I will add....great guy! Very knowledgeable...owns a FiST himself and still rolling a C39 turbo from DHM for many many moons he told me and no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #15
Good news. I hope it’s easy for you. Put me down for #1 if you make more to sell.

Also, did you try this hole above the throttle body with the borescope?

Yeah, I'm getting electrical supplies this week already. I'll share what I come up with. I can already say it's not cheap. Maybe if I buy in bulk I can reduce overall costs.

I did try that breather in the front. The intake ramps up at a 45 degree angle from the TB up to the intake runners. It's too small to really maneuver the borescope. I do believe with the the TB removed, it will allow a lot more room to maneuver to each intake runner.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well the kit is done for you, lol. We're talking about a plug and play kit for everybody else.

There just might be one in the works from a certain Vendor from what I've gathered and possibly a little more also! Just have to play the waiting game.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #18
There just might be one in the works from a certain Vendor from what I've gathered and possibly a little more also! Just have to play the waiting game.

You know me, I can't wait so I make it myself. I enjoy doing electrical anyway. Plus I can custom fit the wire lengths to my vehicle and all that.

It's good news though, I'm glad vendors are bringing these somewhat niche products to the market for us [emoji1303]