Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Damond Oil Catch Can review

Cheepspeed

After reading the excellent occ comparison info posted on this site (thank you btw) I chose the Damond. Let me state for the record what a great piece of kit. Damond's first rate ordering and confirmation info was very informative and quick. Ordered on Thursday and received on Monday. Everything was either bubble wrapped and/or in its own plastic bag. Kit came complete as listed and assembled as stated on their site.

The can and bracket are nicely power coated and decaled. The drain valve appears to be a quality brass, quarter turn ball valve. The inline check valve is a top quality brass as well, attached to thick walled precut hoses. I ordered the vta filter which is substantially constructed and arrived with its check valve installed. I elected not to fit the filter at this time but did do a clearance fit and it posses no issues once installed. The can itself contains at least two strainer type Plates that can be seen through the installed top and bottom fittings. They are welded to an another inner can with which has additional baffles for increased surface area for proper oil/air separation.

The install was easy and precise as shown on their web site manual (no install directions come in the box). Plenty of room to run the drain line (flexible thin wall) down and secured out of the way (tucked it behind a brake line against the wheel well and out to the farthest hole in the brace. Approx 7 inches of excess tubing to spare. The factory fittings snap in place for a secure fit. Zip tie the hose as shown and your good to go. The valve is a bit tight to access but I was able to open with no issues and close with a bit more stretching.

I did add a lock washer under the bolt for the bracket to can connection. I would suggest using one or possibly some blue locktite to the threads. The other add on was a brass plug I installed to replace the vta filter until I install it. The can will come with one in place if the filter option is not purchased.

I would highly recommend the Damond OCC. They have a great, properly engineered, quality constructed, plug&play system that should give a long service life.

My review is based on 12+ years of being in the QA/QC industrial field and educated as a FAA licenced A&P mechanic. I have no affiliation with Damond Motorsports other than being a very satisfied customer.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Just got mine while using their promo code. Can't wait. Went with red hoses to match my color scheme.

I didn't get the vta kit because I don't plan on going big turbo anytime soon and I heard you really don't need it for factory turbo. It's the same price either way so if I do need I'll get it later.

Wow, that's an awesome review! I get all giddy hearing back from customers like this. We're really glad you enjoy the kit, and we enjoy the knowledge, feedback, and tips on the install. I'll update the guide to include putting a little bit of blue loctite on the OCC bolt.

OP
C

Cheepspeed

Thread Starter #4
Done right

Glad you like the review, credit where credit is due to your company. I've dealt with other online part companies (none from this forum) and have had horrible customer service when it comes to service protocol.

I don't usually write reviews and I didn't expect to be moved by an oil can, but your prompt service and attention to details impressed me along with your product. Best wishes in the future and I hope your company will expand into other performance related products for the Fist and Fost.

I installed mine 500 miles ago, after breaking in my new 2016 FiST to 1,000 miles. I can second all the compliments of OP; great customer service and very thorough instructions for installation. The kit is as plug'n'play as it gets, and in my case the nut that attaches the bracket to the strut tower stud was a nylon locking type. It has been very secure so far.

I just drained it for the first time, and lo and behold there was a little thimble's worth of oil that had been intercepted on its way to my intake manifold. I don't know if this is going to make a difference in the battle against carbon-caked GDI intake valves, but I like the idea of having an OCC keeping my intake air cleaner.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I installed mine 500 miles ago, after breaking in my new 2016 FiST to 1,000 miles. I can second all the compliments of OP; great customer service and very thorough instructions for installation. The kit is as plug'n'play as it gets, and in my case the nut that attaches the bracket to the strut tower stud was a nylon locking type. It has been very secure so far.

I just drained it for the first time, and lo and behold there was a little thimble's worth of oil that had been intercepted on its way to my intake manifold. I don't know if this is going to make a difference in the battle against carbon-caked GDI intake valves, but I like the idea of having an OCC keeping my intake air cleaner.

Did you have trouble turning the valve to stop the draining process? On my kit it looks like a pretty tight gap back there.

Did you have trouble turning the valve to stop the draining process? On my kit it looks like a pretty tight gap back there.
It is tight, I had to feel my way down to the valve to operate it. Fortunately, since it is a quarter turn ball valve, one finger is all it takes to pivot it open and then closed again.

J2FoRS

Any of you guys have anything to add now that it's been awhile since you've installed? Any issues? Leaks etc?

Any of you guys have anything to add now that it's been awhile since you've installed? Any issues? Leaks etc?
Yeah I love mine, and it still a does great job I've had it installed probably for 15,000mi now. Although my drain hose didn't survive the winter, it has a hole or a crack somewhere and the last time I drained it leaked all over the driveway.

Just installed mine today with the VTA filter. Anyone else experience boost leak with the VTA? It was a night and day difference after I installed the OCC.. Seemed like I had barely any boost. Running stage 2 with a Dizzy tune. Thank you guys for any responses.

Just installed mine today with the VTA filter. Anyone else experience boost leak with the VTA? It was a night and day difference after I installed the OCC.. Seemed like I had barely any boost. Running stage 2 with a Dizzy tune. Thank you guys for any responses.
Bump this, now that I’ve had mine for a few months and summer came rolling back around I’ve noticed that mine takes a longer time to get to boost, unless I’m not stepping on the gas hard enough lol.