Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dave's 2014 OW build

IF those flares extended down all the way over the tires (especially in the front), that would be the best looking 5 door FiST in existence! [wink]
None of them do other than the m2 motoring flares. My SS tuning ones come down more but not all the way compared to the Fifteen52 ones

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Fifteen52. Thanks! I think so too.

225/45/16 Toyo r1r's. 16x9 et15 with 17.5mm spacer rear and 7.5mm front, I believe.
Damn, so theoretically you could go with a bigger tire if there were no spacers? Taking the spacers out with provide more room for tire without poking unless it would hit the suspension on the inner side.

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #204
Damn, so theoretically you could go with a bigger tire if there were no spacers? Taking the spacers out with provide more room for tire without poking unless it would hit the suspension on the inner side.
I think it would hit on the suspension. The previous owner mentioned that he tried/really wanted to run a 245, but they rubbed like crazy.

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #207
The title came today, so I took the car to AAA to get registered. I got all the paperwork completed, but they told me the car had to be smoged. Took it to the nearest location, really wanted to finish the registration today, and they told me that they won't even put the car on the rollers because of the intake and downpipe, which is catted, but not carb legal. I guess at this point I either have to put the stock parts back on, or find someone I can pay to put it on the rollers. I'm pretty positive it would pass the sniffer test.

koozy

3000 Post Club
The title came today, so I took the car to AAA to get registered. I got all the paperwork completed, but they told me the car had to be smoged. Took it to the nearest location, really wanted to finish the registration today, and they told me that they won't even put the car on the rollers because of the intake and downpipe, which is catted, but not carb legal. I guess at this point I either have to put the stock parts back on, or find someone I can pay to put it on the rollers. I'm pretty positive it would pass the sniffer test.

did the shop see the downpipe or did you tell them?

your car should not have to go on the rollers. Any 2000 model year and up are OBDII. You just have to make sure the IM monitors are ready. BTW, my FiST passed a CA State BAR Smog check with a Cobb tune loaded on the ECU. Because my car had to go into the ref they had to put it on the rollers, but I don't think yours should have to. I think you might remember my story, if not it's here https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=177708&viewfull=1#post177708

your car will not pass the visual inspection with an aftermarket intake system that's clearly not OE in look. An aftermarket intercooler is also not legal the last time I checked, but since it's kind of hidden in the front on the FiST they may not notice it. The aftermarket downpipe may pass the visual if you don't tell them and they don't see it, but the real test is on the rollers if your car has to go on it. The tailpipe sniffer is really sensitive and will fail the car if the aftermarket cat can't clean up the emissions.

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #210
did the shop see the downpipe or did you tell them?

your car should have to go on the rollers. Any 2000 model year and up are OBDII. You just have to make sure the IM monitors are ready. BTW, my FiST passed a CA State BAR Smog check with a Cobb tune loaded on the ECU. Because my car had to go into the ref they had to put it on the rollers, but I don't think yours should have to. I think you might remember my story, if not it's here https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=177708&viewfull=1#post177708

your car will not pass the visual inspection with an aftermarket intake system that's clearly not OE in look. An aftermarket intercooler is also not legal the last time I checked, but since it's kind of hidden in the front on the FiST they may not notice it.
I did't say anything. He just started inspecting the car pretty thoroughly. He said he can clearly tell it's an aftermarket downpipe because of the two o2 sensor holes. Also, I guess he googled the Mountune intake hose and said it isn't carb legal. Those were the only two things he mentioned. He then told me that all of the shops in the area would also fail my car based on visual inspection.

I didn't know that about the rollers. I haven't had to smog a car in so long, I forgot the process.

koozy

3000 Post Club
the OE downpipe also has two o2 sensor holes, he probably can tell from the look. I think once he saw the intake, he scrutinized everything else under the hood.

By law, nothing from the intake to the catalytic converter can be modded. It includes tubing, hoses, crossover pipes and the like. If it's not OE or CARB certified, it's not CA Smog complaint. There's only a hand full of intakes that are actually carb certified for the FiST. https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...(or-pass-visual)-for-2014?p=307513#post307513

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF there were such a thing as a CARB legal/certified, aftermarket catcon down pipe, would it have to have a plate attached, stating such (with a clearly legible CARB exempt number), in plain site on the bottom of the pipe where the inspector could easily see it?

Do these shops have pics/diagrams of EVERY car's FACTORY stock underhood, and under the whole front clip at the ready when doing an inspection??

Last edited:
OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #213
IF there were such a thing as a CARB legal/certified catcon down pipe, would it have to have a plate attached, stating such (with a clearly legible CARB exempt number), in plain site on the bottom of the pipe where the inspector could easily see it?

Do these shops have pics/diagrams of EVERY car's FACTORY stock underhood, and under the whole front clip at the ready when doing an inspection??
I believe parts that are CARB legal do have the number on them and will also have them listed online.

When I was about to leave, I asked him very specifically. "what do I need to remove so that you won't visually fail the car?" He really wouldn't give me a straight answer but did keep going back to the intake and cat. I asked him one more time... He pointed to my BOV, its located where the sound symposer use to be, "this doesn't look factory. I'd have to look at the vehicle’s diagram to make sure." He seemed to be super nervous about the whole thing.

I get home and my neighbor is outside washing one of his cars. He's a huge car nut and owns like 10 cars. I asked him if he knew a guy. He said yes, but his guy is super paranoid if he doesn't know you. He said that I guess the state will set up undercover agents to watch these smog shops to make sure they are in compliance and don't past cars like ours. Just another of the many reasons I can't stand CA...

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #217
Smog day...

YASSSSSSSSS

CA is such a joke!! The car was "ready" and passed with no issues whatsoever with all of the current mods and tune. I thought it was about emissions, wtf does the car's appearance have to do with anything...

Now that it's road legal, I can finally start making videos about the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Where are they questioning the appearance of your car on that form, unless you are referring to the "Visual Inspection" section on that sheet (where they are only confirming that those parts are actually on the car)? [dunno]

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #219
Where are they questioning the appearance of your car on that form, unless you are referring to the "Visual Inspection" section on that sheet (where they are only confirming that those parts are actually on the car)? [dunno]
The first shop popped my hood, saw the small Mountune intake hose, and said that him and any other shop in the area is going to fail the car for visual inspection. So, at that point they won't even hook the car up or run it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The first shop popped my hood, saw the small Mountune intake hose, and said that him and any other shop in the area is going to fail the car for visual inspection. So, at that point they won't even hook the car up or run it.
OK, I did not know you were referring back to that incident, and thought you were implying something on that pass certificate. [thumb]