Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DD a front-biased staggered setup

Big_Red

U.S. Navy Veteran
I've tried searching around the forums, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. TLDR at the bottom.

I would like to run the VMS RACING RACE STARS 15x8s up front, wrapped in a 205 summer tire, eventually possibly upping that to a 215 or 225. At the rear I'd like to run a 15x7 SPARCO terra wrapped in a 205 summer tire. I will not increase the tire width of the rears as I know 205s are the (generally-accepted) max for 7 wide wheels.

A few thoughts/ questions:

- Poking around other forums I've come across a few articles that a slightly front-biased staggered setup helps to calm understeer and elicits much greater rotation on track. However, in stock form I feel as though our cars can rotate quite well; will staggering my setup cause our cars to become TOO tail-happy? (I'm on stock suspension and am working on BT btw) (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-tire-staggering-for-fwd/162009/page1/)

- With such a low offset, the VMS wheels will poke; I am aware of this and do not mind at all as I have always loved wheel poke.

- It seems like a no-brainer: the VMS wheels are ~4lbs lighter per wheel than the sparco terras I would be throwing on, and it would allow me to slap more rubber on the front as I install power mods. They're not all that expensive either, at ~180 a pop. There has to be a catch?

Also, if anyone has any pictures of their fists with race stars on, I'd love to see them! I can't find many pictures of them.

1615672166464.png

TLDR: Will running 15x8 drag wheels (street-approved) at the front and 15x7 sparco terras at the back (with same/wider size rubber at front) net me any performance benefit and will it be feasible to DD?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im actually interested in this. I keep finding sweet sets of JDM wheels but often they're staggered set ups for RWD cars.

I might pull the trigger and bulldog my FiST with 8" up front and 7" rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Big_Red

Big_Red

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Bump. If nobody is able to answer this, I may just send it and be the guinea pig. [dunno]

An obvious downside I forgot to add to the OP: you won't be able to rotate tires like before. And in a (front) tire-killer car like the FiST, I assume this problem is going to be more annoying than anticipated.

Also, with the staggered setup the front and rear would be different track widths; I assume the difference would be small enough to where it can be mitigated with a small spacers. I know most are heavily opposed to throwing spacers on the FiST as it throws off our stellar handling, but I've seen plenty of FiST track builds with thin spacers (even if those builds run spacers for the sole purpose of running big brake kits.)

I also found a bit of a thread where a front-biased stagger was discussed, here's the link for anyone who comes across this thread: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/16x7-5-advanti-racing-storms-4x100-13lbs.12283/#post-234408 (Near the bottom)

ronmcdon

I guess you've said it yourself, that with this car it's easy to get more rotation and reduce understeer. it's also good to get more mileage out of the tires, esp for some us who take the car to the track.

I've briefly thought of a staggered setup myself and think it would be less of an expense to dial in more rotation through maybe rear bracing, solid rear bushings, playing with spring rates if your coilovers allow for that.
It's also, as I understand it, to be a challenge to throw in something wider and meaty in the front. Plan to throw in 17x9's +35 all around. Crossing my fingers that even with flares, will find something between optimally a 245/40, 245/35 or 235/40 would fit. without spacers and rubbing.
I think most are conservative not to want to have to risk a more unproven setup and possibly waste money while doing so, but that doesnt mean its not worth trying

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You may want to also budget for a front sway bar to counteract the increased oversteer that the car may develop.

My personal opinion would be to just run 225 all around. The car still oversteers plenty with this setup (I run 225/45R16 for summer & auto-x) and I have considered adding a front bar with the square stance because the car still oversteers a good bit.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Sort of related but I plan to run 10mm spacers and extended studs in the front only for brake clearance. Still running the same sized tires all around though. About a month or so out from doing this but I'll provide feedback once I get it setup.

I'm not sure if this would be any help, but at one event the safety steward heard that I was missing a centering ring and said I couldn't run without it, so I put the RE71Rs on the front and used the stock tires in the rear. They were both 205 width tires, but the car was very prone to rotation and the steward said he'd let me run the REs after discussing it with others. You could save some weight, but I think just running a square setup would be easier, plus you can rotate the tires to maximize life.