Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

dear gearbox, please stop clunking

rexdriver85

Didn't know they were Getrag transmissions. Good info. They are supposed to be great gearboxes. The Cooper S 6 speeds are Getrag and they have taken some serious abuse over the years. [emoji106]

rexdriver85

I have no experience with that trans but I have a few friends with 6 speed Getrags and they have been great.

I hope over time our gearboxes prove to be reliable.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Well... The 5.0L getrag is/was built in China. Its often referred to "the china transmission". Its just not very durable for the power and weight of the car. Compounding its issues is the 6-speed auto in the mustang which is AWESOME. They are running high 9's with just a convertor and software. Mid-10's on the stock convertor. Then the china trans breaks running 12.0's and requires a $1,000 worth of shifter mods and stuff to be bearable.

All 3 of my friends that bought 5.0L mustangs refused to buy an auto. All 3 sold there cars after replacing the trans 2 or more times. One guy swapped to the $7k tremec and all kinds off stuff, then sold the car without putting a single pass on it. In the mean time, a friend of a friend showed up and ran 11.20 on a 125shot with an auto trans, drag radials, bolt on mufflers, and a tune. Cats and stock air box still intact.

Sorry... That got long, lol. Yea.... Ford also uses this trans in the new IRS equipped mustangs, saying its "improved", lmao. Aka "we still had too many of them to stop using them".

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Well... The 5.0L getrag is/was built in China. Its often referred to "the china transmission". Its just not very durable for the power and weight of the car. Compounding its issues is the 6-speed auto in the mustang which is AWESOME. They are running high 9's with just a convertor and software. Mid-10's on the stock convertor. Then the china trans breaks running 12.0's and requires a $1,000 worth of shifter mods and stuff to be bearable.

All 3 of my friends that bought 5.0L mustangs refused to buy an auto. All 3 sold there cars after replacing the trans 2 or more times. One guy swapped to the $7k tremec and all kinds off stuff, then sold the car without putting a single pass on it. In the mean time, a friend of a friend showed up and ran 11.20 on a 125shot with an auto trans, drag radials, bolt on mufflers, and a tune. Cats and stock air box still intact.

Sorry... That got long, lol. Yea.... Ford also uses this trans in the new IRS equipped mustangs, saying its "improved", lmao. Aka "we still had too many of them to stop using them".
Yeah, there have been quite a few issues with the Getrag MT-82...though I made 200+ passes on my 2011 GT with the MT-82 without issue. I think the issues with the MT-82 were a mixed batch of the Chinese parts and people who think they can drive but really can't. You are definitely right about the 6 speed auto in the Mustang....not only is it more durable but is also faster in a straight line with a tune+. As far as the FiST, hopefully the entire trans was built in the Germany Getrag plant and nothing sourced to China.

Mine does the same. Dont remember when it started. It still does it, with a clicking noise when in nuetral. Stops if I put pressure on the shifter in nuetral, or leave it in gear.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Had the 11 MT-82 after spending near $1000 on tring to get it to shift better I traded it in for a Chally. only regret I had was that sound it made in the early morning when I fired it up to go to work and the GT500 cans let the neighborhood know I was departing .. Great car slogged down by a Meh shifter..
AFter being elbows deep in the FiST Gertag I have no regrets getting a FIST..

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The B6 is built to drag around a much heavier car with the same motor. While the B6 we get is slightly different, I don't think smooth power is ever gonna break it. Now shock-load? An trans can break with the right shock applied to it.

Moral of the story? Don't wheel hop it and you'll prob never be able to break this trans. My stock clutch was even sporting the 330-354ft lbs of torque tune for like 3-4 days and it
Never missed a beat. The axle I broke was purely due to wheel hop and poor motor mounts.
Slicks at the track, and you'll be golden :)

Boro

Mine has made the same noise as you describe for the 17k+ miles of its life. I am willing to bet that I could replicate the same sound in anyone's 14-15 FiST. If you open the hood and reach down to where the linkage connects to the lever on the trans and move it back and forth, you can hear something similar to what your hearing in the car. I personally think the sound is normal and is caused by the lever mechanism that the linkage connects to. There seems to be a little of built in play there and when your moving the lever mechanism back and forth...there is a threshold at about half way that continues the forward or backward motion.
https://vimeo.com/124221263
Thank you for posting this! I think this must be exactly what my noises are. Totally clears up why it makes noise but still shifts smoothly.

nothing, I feel like it is normal.
when I go for my 1st oil change on Monday I will let them know about the issue
I will say that my gearbox made sounds too, 150 ish miles and less it was silent, then it quickly began making clunk noises, especially going from 1-2 at about 6 mph...However, by 4220 miles, it has settled down a fair bit. It only clunks every once in a while and if it does it's much less audible in the cabin...
I've had that clunking noise since day 1 of my car. I have the 2014. I thought it was part of the normal operation of the vehicle. Every time I change gears I can hear it clunking about. I can only really hear it when I'm light on the throttle because at higher speeds the noises of the car overpower the clunking. I personally like the noise. It means that my car is doing stuff. And it makes it sound MANLY! *punches shark in the face*
I have the same clunk. But hasnt seem to affacted anything.
My transmission makes noises sometimes. It shifts rough since 10K miles. I changed oil (Mutol), added bushings and shifter plate, none of it fixed the problem. I got over it...
Mine does the same. Dont remember when it started. It still does it, with a clicking noise when in nuetral. Stops if I put pressure on the shifter in nuetral, or leave it in gear.
All shark punching aside (SirSlaughter), if any of you decide to head to your dealer to have this checked out, please let me know. :)

...also i contacted meagan from ford service on this forum a day or two ago, still havent heard anything tho...
We were experiencing technical difficulties on Friday, and I'm not here over the weekend. I responded to your latest reply last night. :)

Meagan

The noise in question here is just the normal sound of the Dual Mass Flywheel. Super smooth shifts or not lifting completely off the throttle while shifting can minimize the noise or take it away all together, but it's nothing to be worried about. My old SVT Focus was the first car i owned with a dual mass flywheel and I was worried about the noises/clunking I heard coming from it, but it too was fine for the 80K miles I put on it.

Changing the tranny fluid with another fluid that does not mee tthe spec required for our car is what i would be worried about! Now if your tranny does have issues they may not cover it...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Mine has made the same noise as you describe for the 17k+ miles of its life. I am willing to bet that I could replicate the same sound in anyone's 14-15 FiST. If you open the hood and reach down to where the linkage connects to the lever on the trans and move it back and forth, you can hear something similar to what your hearing in the car. I personally think the sound is normal and is caused by the lever mechanism that the linkage connects to. There seems to be a little of built in play there and when your moving the lever mechanism back and forth...there is a threshold at about half way that continues the forward or backward motion.
https://vimeo.com/124221263
I knew I saw this. I'm replying more as a book mark for myself. I do have the clunking (which I don't mind) but I want to hit the linkage with some lithium grease.

yep, mine does the same thing since day 1, never poses a problem to me other than being annoying loud lol not alignment issues at all and no other issues

Both my TC and this car make the same noise when shifting. My TC did it for the 50k miles I drove it. I just assume it's normal.