Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price

FocusMike

This is very interesting and will probably apply to us at some point.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm

It has been touted as the automotive holy grail, the ultimate marriage of better performance and greater fuel economy. It’s the direct-injection (DI) engine, the latest technology designed to squeeze more mpg out of cars. And it has actually been delivering results.

For example, the Mazda3’s combined fuel economy jumped from 28 mpg in 2010 to 32 mpg in 2012 in our testing of the new Skyactiv engine. Other automakers have been using direct injection to add horsepower-the Cadillac CTS, for example, gained 34 hp-without any sacrifice in fuel economy.

Though direct injection is currently seen mostly on luxury vehicles or on mainstream cars as a higher-trim option (priced anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple of thousand), it could soon be within the means of more drivers as costs continue to come down.

But those engines are also having reliability problems, something that automakers are trying to keep quiet.

Not surprisingly, a number of readers have asked us about direct injection. Take Anestis Halkidis of North Kingstown, R.I.:

"I have a 2006 VW GLI with the 2.0T FSI engine with direct injection," he wrote. "At around 80,000 miles, I went to the VW dealer to diagnose a check-engine light. It turns out that the intake valves had to be cleaned due to carbon deposits that were causing drivability issues."

When his dealer failed to offer free work or any compensation, Halkidis took his car to a local VW shop that cleaned the valves by blasting them with walnut shells. (Yes, walnut shells; it’s a method used by BMW.) The cost to Halkidis was about $400.
So what’s up with direct injection?

First, a primer on how it works: By injecting gasoline at high pressure directly into the engine’s combustion chamber, direct injection more precisely measures fuel than conventional fuel-injection systems or old-time carburetors.

The result is more complete combustion and cooler cylinder temperatures that enable a higher compression ratio for greater efficiency and power. Engine technology supplier Bosch says that direct injection can return a 15 percent gain in fuel economy while boosting low-end torque as much as 50 percent.

Combining direct injection with other technologies-such as turbocharging-can deliver even greater gains in economy and performance. That in turn enables carmakers to use smaller displacement engines, resulting in an efficiency snowball effect. Many automakers are marketing DI as providing fuel economy that’s almost as good as a hybrid’s, and with better performance-but without the $4,000 hybrid premium.

Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power-and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline-without ethanol additives-and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)

Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is operating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean.

It’s important to note that not all cars with direct injection experience long-term problems. But if your engine stumbles more than it used to, or it suddenly lacks power, ask your dealer about it. A fix may be available, and you may not have to pay for it.

wbw

I currently have a '13 Veloster Turbo which has DI. I have not had any problems so far, but more than a couple of 13s have had catastrophic failures due to LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition). I don't know if Hyundai has more problems with this than other auto makers, but I'm pretty sure this is not just limited to Hyundai. Do a search on LSPI and see what you discover.

I'm not trying to start any trouble over here. I love everything I've seen or read about the Fiesta ST. The FIST or the Ecoboost Mustang may very well be my next car, but I'm coming from a Veloster forum where more than a few motors have blown and the current thinking is that it's LSPI. And the deadly combo for LSPI seems to be Turbo charging plus DI.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I currently have a '13 Veloster Turbo which has DI. I have not had any problems so far, but more than a couple of 13s have had catastrophic failures due to LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition). I don't know if Hyundai has more problems with this than other auto makers, but I'm pretty sure this is not just limited to Hyundai. Do a search on LSPI and see what you discover.

I'm not trying to start any trouble over here. I love everything I've seen or read about the Fiesta ST. The FIST or the Ecoboost Mustang may very well be my next car, but I'm coming from a Veloster forum where more than a few motors have blown and the current thinking is that it's LSPI. And the deadly combo for LSPI seems to be Turbo charging plus DI.
Yep LSPI is very worrying. I think its just good practice to avoid high gear, low revs, high load situations.

It's not unknown about the woes of Direct Injection. As the article said, BMW folks are used to it. Generally, walnut blasting needed to be done once every 40,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if we will need the same on our cars. And yes, the carbon buildup will be the same regardless of whether you drive the piss out of your FiST or whether you baby it around town.

LSPI seems to be a big problem on the 2.0 Ecoboosts. The number of Escapes and bone stock FoSTs with broken Pistons is pretty alarming. To my knowledge it hasn't been an issue on the FiST, but I avoid boost below 2000 RPM anyway and as much as I can in the 2000-2500 RPM range. Shifting when the shift light says to in to 5th and 6th at 1700 RPM is a horrible idea.

Ford's DI carbon issues seem to be uncommon. The Ecoboost has been around long enough that if it was a serious issue, the Internet would be flooded with reports. There are very few reports at this point and the few reports I have seen are very minor compared to the BMW/MS3/VW/Audi problems.

Driving it hard every now and then has shown to get things hot enough to burn deposits off. Hell when my TSI had the issue, whenever I beat on it hard it would smoke like crazy until it cooled down. It was just too choked up because of the previous owner and there was no way simply beating on it would fix it.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
No scientific data to back it up, but logic makes me think the cast in head exhaust manifold on the 2.0 ecoboost and the amount of heat it retains is not cool at all, no pun intended!

Yeah that whole setup is weird. Out with "turbofolds" and in with "turboheadifolds?" Seems silly.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm just going to stick to high quality gas, fuel system cleaner here and there, and hope for the best

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
This is very interesting and will probably apply to us at some point.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm

It has been touted as the automotive holy grail, the ultimate marriage of better performance and greater fuel economy. It?s the direct-injection (DI) engine, the latest technology designed to squeeze more mpg out of cars. And it has actually been delivering results.

For example, the Mazda3?s combined fuel economy jumped from 28 mpg in 2010 to 32 mpg in 2012 in our testing of the new Skyactiv engine. Other automakers have been using direct injection to add horsepower-the Cadillac CTS, for example, gained 34 hp-without any sacrifice in fuel economy.

Though direct injection is currently seen mostly on luxury vehicles or on mainstream cars as a higher-trim option (priced anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple of thousand), it could soon be within the means of more drivers as costs continue to come down.

But those engines are also having reliability problems, something that automakers are trying to keep quiet.

Not surprisingly, a number of readers have asked us about direct injection. Take Anestis Halkidis of North Kingstown, R.I.:

"I have a 2006 VW GLI with the 2.0T FSI engine with direct injection," he wrote. "At around 80,000 miles, I went to the VW dealer to diagnose a check-engine light. It turns out that the intake valves had to be cleaned due to carbon deposits that were causing drivability issues."

When his dealer failed to offer free work or any compensation, Halkidis took his car to a local VW shop that cleaned the valves by blasting them with walnut shells. (Yes, walnut shells; it?s a method used by BMW.) The cost to Halkidis was about $400.
So what?s up with direct injection?

First, a primer on how it works: By injecting gasoline at high pressure directly into the engine?s combustion chamber, direct injection more precisely measures fuel than conventional fuel-injection systems or old-time carburetors.

The result is more complete combustion and cooler cylinder temperatures that enable a higher compression ratio for greater efficiency and power. Engine technology supplier Bosch says that direct injection can return a 15 percent gain in fuel economy while boosting low-end torque as much as 50 percent.

Combining direct injection with other technologies-such as turbocharging-can deliver even greater gains in economy and performance. That in turn enables carmakers to use smaller displacement engines, resulting in an efficiency snowball effect. Many automakers are marketing DI as providing fuel economy that?s almost as good as a hybrid?s, and with better performance-but without the $4,000 hybrid premium.

Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power-and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline-without ethanol additives-and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)

Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is operating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean.

It?s important to note that not all cars with direct injection experience long-term problems. But if your engine stumbles more than it used to, or it suddenly lacks power, ask your dealer about it. A fix may be available, and you may not have to pay for it.
http://blog.modbargains.com/turbo-car-need-oil-catch-can/

Why do you install an oil catch can? Well, if you have a turbo car, especially a later-than-2004 model ? there are quite a few very good reasons why it?s something you should consider. If your car?s naturally aspirated, it?s not as much of an issue ? so we?re going to be focusing on turbo cars here ? like the BMW 335i/435i/135i/535i / BMW-anything-35i really, the N20, N26, N54/N55, S55 are all affected, as are Ford?s EcoBoost series of engines, in the Focus ST, Fiesta ST and Mustang EcoBoost, these are all Direct Injection Turbocharged engines, and as such they?re afflicted by all the same issues.
As we explained in our article talking about why BMW recommends Walnut Media Blasting Intake Valve cleaning Service be done every 40,000 miles (which isn?t covered under your maintenance plan BTW) ? all turbocharged cars experience oil blowby when under boost. It?s just the fact of the matter ? even brand new, your turbo car?s going to have oil blowby if you?re heavy on the throttle.

Okay, so what?s oil blowby? Why is oil blowby bad?
engine-without-oil-catch-can

Blow-by is caused when a combustion in the engine forces fuel, air, and moisture past the piston rings and into the crankcase. From there, the blow-by is released by the crank case vents and back into the intake pipe. This occurs on all engines, but is worse on turbo engines due to the stronger combustion. This is bad because if nothing is done, this excess ?gunk? will build up in the intake manifold, coat the intake valves, coldside of the turbo, intercooler, and intercooler chargepipes.

As we said in the N54 walnut blasting article, the fact that many turbocharged engines nowadays are direct injected, which causes the inside of the intake to get much dirtier than it did on older multipoint fuel injection systems that sprayed the fuel mist into the intake manifold, spraying down the intake runners and intake valves with a mist of gasoline, which used to keep the intake clean. Since Direct Injection style fuel injection moves the injector directly into the combustion chamber, there?s no spray of fuel on the intake valves to keep them clean, so crap accumulates on them.
walnut-blasting-n54-nick-pics-3

Read more: http://blog.modbargains.com/turbo-car-need-oil-catch-can/#ixzz3WNstgxqs