Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do Wing Risers Cause Cracks?

For those of you with wing risers, how common do installing or running with them cause cracks in the spoiler/wing? I love the look but absolutely do not want to end up with a cracked spoiler. Are some kits more prone to damaging the car than others?

Thanks for the input!

For those of you with wing risers, how common do installing or running with them cause cracks in the spoiler/wing? I love the look but absolutely do not want to end up with a cracked spoiler. Are some kits more prone to damaging the car than others?

Thanks for the input!
I didn't have cracks but it did break away at the screw/bolt area so a lot of rattling started and couldn't secure it anymore so had to buy a new spoiler. I believe I posted pictures somewhere on this website but can't remember where but if you want I can go find them so I can show you what happened.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Absolutely....it makes it more probable. Looks kewl....functional yes. But* adds a stress point to the where the wing mates to the hatch. If you want a spoiler look. Get a Lip. IMO Way structurally sound and it's an adhesive vs. Bolt on and easier to go back to stock look.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Absolutely....it makes it more probable. Looks kewl....functional yes. But* adds a stress point to the where the wing mates to the hatch. If you want a spoiler look. Get a Lip. IMO Way structurally sound and it's an adhesive vs. Bolt on and easier to go back to stock look.

Have a lip you'd recommend? Thanks! Only problem I see is my FiST is white so it'll have to either be black or not match.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have a lip you'd recommend? Thanks! Only problem I see is my FiST is white so it'll have to either be black or not match.
There has been a couple up forsale here on the Forum. They take a little finesse to put on from what I've gathered. I think whoosh sells them and scour the For sale section also.

SrsBsns

I put cheap Amazon risers on a year or so ago. 20,000ish miles. Been past 130mph a few times. No problems yet. YMMW.
This has been my experience as well with a set of no-name risers. I've had zero problems with them but I am a little careful when closing the hatch. I like to put a hand on/under the spoiler while the hatch is closing to try to minimize the impact.

I've also gone through multiple auto car washes with no problems.

haste

1000 Post Club
I literally just removed my wing risers and reinstalled my wing back to the stock position. The wing risers are some of the original type available(Boomba). I had absolutely no cracking or issues with the wing.

YMMV. I think it may depend mostly on the installer. Overtightening of bolts/screws can probably cause issues.

My wing risers were installed for more than 5 years and had multiple track days/autocrosses on it with some very high speed runs in mexico. Only reason I took them off is because I was tired of looking at it like that.

My wing has cracked on one of the 6 supports. Definitely think that it was caused by overtightening, as I distinctly remember tightening the bolts several times as I thought it would stop an ongoing rattle (it didn't). Also, the side that broke on mine was already weakened. The left center bolt was never installed since it wouldn't fit in the threads of the associated support.

This is all a long way of saying yes, but less so if you're more careful than me.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
By the nature of what wing risers are doing, it's going to increase vibration and torsional load on the points of contact. Whether or not the wing can take it without stress induced cracking I am not sure, but it will definitely create conditions more conducive to cracking than stock.

I used loctite and rubber bushings in order to avoid this. Still broke one mounting point after about 5k miles and so I just put it back to stock. It is a hugely desirable look and the lips are so expensive for what they are and the fitment issues but I would not use risers.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I used loctite and rubber bushings in order to avoid this. Still broke one mounting point after about 5k miles and so I just put it back to stock. It is a hugely desirable look and the lips are so expensive for what they are and the fitment issues but I would not use risers.
It looks kinda cheesy with the big gap tho.

AzNightmare

I used some plastic to dIy a piece to fill in that gap, because I agree, it looks silly with the gap.
I had my velossa tech risers since 2017, been through snow and shine, no problems yet so far.

I didn't use any loctite, but I do make a habit of checking on the bolts every 6 months. It's not loose by any means, but I do notice I can give each bolt another 1/4 of a turn again, just for peace of mind.

It looks kinda cheesy with the big gap tho.
To me it looks sort of industrial/rally”y” haha I really like it and wish I could have kept it. I might break down one day and buy a lip but I would only tape it no screws.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
To me it looks sort of industrial/rally”y” haha I really like it and wish I could have kept it. I might break down one day and buy a lip but I would only tape it no screws.
This'll probably sound old man-ish, but you can take a course at a community college to learn to lay fibreglass, then make everything you want :)