Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do Wing Risers Cause Cracks?

slopoke

It's my belief that anything that may affect the aerodynamics of the wing by possibly changing the pitch of the wing, can cause stresses that the manufacturer did not intend the part or parts to be subjected to.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's my belief that anything that may affect the aerodynamics of the wing by possibly changing the pitch of the wing, can cause stresses that the manufacturer did not intend the part or parts to be subjected to.
The spoiler doesn’t really do much aerodynamically, I think at its core it’s just a “pendulum effect” creating load on the attachment points they weren’t designed for. Swing a normal length hammer back and forth quickly, then add a 3 foot extension and try to do the same. The load on your wrist goes up dramatically. It’s just normal physics.

Spork1569

When I had my FiST it came with the Wong risers as well as a few broken supports because of them. I eventually went back to stock but before I did, I noticed the wing probably took a lot of abuse if I wasn't careful anytime I closed the hatch.

From that point forward I would hold the wing to stabilize it anytime I closed it, but by the time I went back to stock the damage was already done unfortunately. I think by then I only had a few supports intact but luckily was able to epoxy them back together well enough to hold the bolts in.

Dialcaliper

Wanted to add another story to the pile.

So the car I purchased came with a wing riser kit installed by the previous owner. I believe it’s the (kind of janky) 3D printed Velossatech kit

The hatch had a rattle when closing, so I wanted to remove the riser kit, and here’s what I found.

B674C44F-4F52-4E5B-A753-822EE61FC6E2.jpeg

Some of the upper bolts had become loose and the lower mounting points on both sides with the tapping screws had completely pulled the inserts out of the wing.

Fortunately, all the little cracked pieces were still barely attached to the insert, so I attempted a repair with JB Plastic Weld epoxy
First sanding with a fiberglass pen - sandpaper would work too. Followed by cleaning with alcohol and a Q-Tip.

B952D77B-1940-4F52-95F8-2E2F5FF75351.jpeg

Then mixing and glooping epoxy on all the little crack joints and bonding the inserts back in

8E4F7A60-B31B-4A20-8502-5B9AD856A34A.jpeg 3FF68889-ED3A-495B-A26E-66BB27058780.jpeg

The wing riser kit seems to just not have enough supporting points for the wing and the bolts and screws work loose over time. I’m trying to decide if I can in good conscience sell the kit to someone else, or if I should save them the grief and just chuck it in the garbage.

The repair seems solid enough for now, but I’m not so sure how it’s going to hold up long term.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

So the car I purchased came with a wing riser kit installed by the previous owner. I believe it’s the (kind of janky) 3D printed Velossatech kit

The hatch had a rattle when closing, so I wanted to remove the riser kit, and here’s what I found.

View attachment 51452

Some of the upper bolts had become loose and the lower mounting points on both sides with the tapping screws had completely pulled the inserts out of the wing.

Fortunately, all the little cracked pieces were still barely attached to the insert, so I attempted a repair with JB Plastic Weld epoxy
First sanding with a fiberglass pen - sandpaper would work too. Followed by cleaning with alcohol and a Q-Tip.

View attachment 51453

Then mixing and glooping epoxy on all the little crack joints and bonding the inserts back in

View attachment 51454 View attachment 51456

The wing riser kit seems to just not have enough supporting points for the wing and the bolts and screws work loose over time. I’m trying to decide if I can in good conscience sell the kit to someone else, or if I should save them the grief and just chuck it in the garbage.

The repair seems solid enough for now, but I’m not so sure how it’s going to hold up long term.
Throw them in the Trash where they belong...been saying this for a long time. STOP SSDS/ Sudden Spoiler Death Syndrome!

AzNightmare

View attachment 51452

View attachment 51453

View attachment 51454 View attachment 51456

Do you have pics of the actual wing risers? I can confirm if they are VelossaTech... I've been using VelossaTech since 2017 with no issues at all.

That being said, I'm a first owner and I honestly wouldn't even let a shop do my installs for aesthetic things over trusting my own workmanship, nevermind buying something used with existing mods, not knowing what or how the previous owner did any of their mods. Admittedly, installing the wing risers seem to be a lot harder than they look, because there's no guide line in positioning or torquing, and I think all of that ends up mattering. Mine never comes loose, which probably makes a big difference too. Because if it works itself loose to the point it can wobble a bit, then the vibrations will only make it worse until the plastic cracks.

It's probably garbage at this point, because the cycle will just continue on... previous owner messed this up and passed it forward. lol.

I think it all comes down to what brand you go with and how you install them. I went with the Velossa Tech risers and havent had any issues with them. On my previous fiesta I had a different brand (I can't remember which) but they cracked my wing and always came loose.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I think it all comes down to what brand you go with and how you install them. I went with the Velossa Tech risers and havent had any issues with them. On my previous fiesta I had a different brand (I can't remember which) but they cracked my wing and always came loose.
to be fair, thats kinda how it works - you don't have issues up until you do. The load on the risers and attachment points is going to be in excess of what was originally engineered. Whether or not it fails, who knows - but it's extra stress.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
to be fair, thats kinda how it works - you don't have issues up until you do. The load on the risers and attachment points is going to be in excess of what was originally engineered. Whether or not it fails, who knows - but it's extra stress.
I bought the Delta wing riser and it is SOLID! I still have the two old wings if anyone is interested.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
should probably be a sticky that if you use wing risers, you will eventually almost certainly experience cracking. Those mount points just aren't designed for that load.

AzNightmare

I would be more appreciative if people have collective data on what brand they used, and if they installed it themselves, but obviously that's not the case. As mentioned, I also have Velossa Tech risers and had them on for 6 years now. From what I'm aware, it's the only one in the market that are 3D printed. Maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not. But I never had to "baby" my trunk, I just close it like how any "normal" person would. Just my anecdotal.

I installed my risers myself, and I acknowledge it requires a bit of finesse. You can't over torque the screws, and you also can't just tighten them fully from one side to the other. I recall it took me almost an hour to install mine, because I had to continually shift the wing around to ensure it was optimally seated, and tightening each screw bit by bit to try to equalize the pressure. Similar concept to using the "star/cross" pattern when installing wheels.

While your logic does hold true, using risers do increase load on the mounting points, I also theorize that a lot of risers weren't installed "properly" because it's not as easy as they seem. As mentioned, it takes awhile to try to find the optimal seating positions which isn't obvious. Unlike many other mods where the part can be seated in an obvious specific spot, and screws are then used to hold it in place, the wing riser is more dependent on the installer to find that "sweet spot". It can also be a challenge not to over torque the screws. That also being said, many owners are now 2nd or 3rd owners given how old this car is now. Many people have no clue how the previous owner installed their risers, no clue what brand was used, and no clue they even have something called risers until something breaks. So that obviously doesn't help to paint a clearer picture.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I would be more appreciative if people have collective data on what brand they used, and if they installed it themselves, but obviously that's not the case. As mentioned, I also have Velossa Tech risers and had them on for 6 years now. From what I'm aware, it's the only one in the market that are 3D printed. Maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not. But I never had to "baby" my trunk, I just close it like how any "normal" person would. Just my anecdotal.

I installed my risers myself, and I acknowledge it requires a bit of finesse. You can't over torque the screws, and you also can't just tighten them fully from one side to the other. I recall it took me almost an hour to install mine, because I had to continually shift the wing around to ensure it was optimally seated, and tightening each screw bit by bit to try to equalize the pressure. Similar concept to using the "star/cross" pattern when installing wheels.

While your logic does hold true, using risers do increase load on the mounting points, I also theorize that a lot of risers weren't installed "properly" because it's not as easy as they seem. As mentioned, it takes awhile to try to find the optimal seating positions which isn't obvious. Unlike many other mods where the part can be seated in an obvious specific spot, and screws are then used to hold it in place, the wing riser is more dependent on the installer to find that "sweet spot". It can also be a challenge not to over torque the screws. That also being said, many owners are now 2nd or 3rd owners given how old this car is now. Many people have no clue how the previous owner installed their risers, no clue what brand was used, and no clue they even have something called risers until something breaks. So that obviously doesn't help to paint a clearer picture.
There isn't any wing riser kit that doesn't place extra stress on the contact points. I guess if you really wanted to do it correctly, you could add additional points of contact bracing. It's just not designed for it, and whether it'll crack or not depends on stress, uv exposure, how well the original material was cured, etc. Some users might not have issues, some might, but it remains something that is being forced to operate outside of its engineered purpose and users should avoid it. Anything that changes the angle of the wing, for example, is going to change the pressures exerted by wind, bumps, etc.

There isn't any wing riser kit that doesn't place extra stress on the contact points. I guess if you really wanted to do it correctly, you could add additional points of contact bracing. It's just not designed for it, and whether it'll crack or not depends on stress, uv exposure, how well the original material was cured, etc. Some users might not have issues, some might, but it remains something that is being forced to operate outside of its engineered purpose and users should avoid it. Anything that changes the angle of the wing, for example, is going to change the pressures exerted by wind, bumps, etc.
Does the Delta Styling kit not properly support the wing? From the one I have in my garage waiting to be installed, it looks like it provides support to the entire wing.

Dialcaliper

Does the Delta Styling kit not properly support the wing? From the one I have in my garage waiting to be installed, it looks like it provides support to the entire wing.
It does support much better, I switched over to one. The downside is that if your wing is already cracked at the lower screws, it won’t fix it by itself. Even the delta riser doesn’t use the “extra” factory plastic snap fasteners which seem to be the main missing Achilles heel of most wing riser kits that results in damage/too much flex on the lower screws.

In addition to the fasteners it came with, I added VHB tape near the “extra” locations with the Delta riser and it seems to both support well, and quiet down the “clatter” when you shut the trunk lid

It does support much better, I switched over to one. The downside is that if your wing is already cracked at the lower screws, it won’t fix it by itself. Even the delta riser doesn’t use the “extra” factory plastic snap fasteners which seem to be the main missing Achilles heel of most wing riser kits that results in damage/too much flex on the lower screws.

In addition to the fasteners it came with, I added VHB tape near the “extra” locations with the Delta riser and it seems to both support well, and quiet down the “clatter” when you shut the trunk lid
Thankfully, my wing was unmolested by the previous (and first) owner. I might have to try the VHB tape tip you mentioned when I find time to install it.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It looks kinda cheesy with the big gap tho.
Agreed. I like the look but hate the exposed stampings and the risk to the wing. So to that end, i felt inspired and hit the Googles. This is probably old news but Delta makes a riser that lifts the wing AND covers the gap. I just added it to my list of future mods. It's definitely better than the exposed body stampings but I'll admit I'm still not totally convinced I like the look. I'd like to see the setup from behind and a few other angles.

Ford Fiesta Mk7/7.5 Delta S-R Spoiler Riser (deltastyling.com)
cropped img_1723-500x356zcvt.jpg

Dialcaliper

Agreed. I like the look but hate the exposed stampings and the risk to the wing. So to that end, i felt inspired and hit the Googles. This is probably old news but Delta makes a riser that lifts the wing AND covers the gap. I just added it to my list of future mods. It's definitely better than the exposed body stampings but I'll admit I'm still not totally convinced I like the look. I'd like to see the setup from behind and a few other angles.

Ford Fiesta Mk7/7.5 Delta S-R Spoiler Riser (deltastyling.com)
View attachment 59112
The angle is slightly more aggressive than the Velossatech. Originally I wanted the body colored version, but the black goes well with the window trim. The only complaint is that the fit assembling to the wing was warped by about 1/8”, but that’s about as good as you can expect for FRP parts - once it was assembled with the screws and VHB it closed the gap just fine.

As I mentioned it makes a satisfying “clunk” when closing the trunk lid (no wing riser rattles) Extremely happy with the result. Here are some pictures I had taken previously

Attachments

Last edited: