Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does a gear whine maybe total your ST?

Well I've developed the dreaded gear whine in upper gears at speed under light load. Fluid change no real difference. I'm now out of warranty on my '15 for this, though I called Ford corporate about it before. I've noticed some part places are dropping the input shaft bearings that are known to cause it. Mine's not loud yet - just constant - so it gnaws at me. I'm trying to figure if I need to dump the car and get a Jetta GTI etc.(?) or if I have some assurance that this can be remedied at a reasonable price into the future. They didn't make many STs and now of course it's all about SUVs and trucks in the US. I've heard of guys getting replacement trannys that also did it. I could sell and buy an '18 or '19 - yeah I do love the car - but would it do it too? Just trying to get piece of mind as I go forward. The slave cylinder is known to go or the clutch dual mass problems, or just clutch wear, so eventually the tranny will come out and I would hope to address the bearings then (if they don't fail sooner). Why don't Toyota bearings fail like this? I have wondered if the axle seal leaks are correlated to this by low fluid level starving these top-most bearings?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a carrier bearing on the passengerside CV axle FYI that is connected to the engine* id check into that also. If you need a rebuild this is an opportunity to install a LSD also. If your interested in that performance mod!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
It won't total the car, but it could end up being a pretty expensive service if you decide to have the trans torn apart and the input shaft bearing replaced. The input shaft bearing failures seemed to be primarily on '14/'15 builds, and early on Ford didn't have the individual part, so thats why people were just getting full trans replacements. But I think that bearing is now available.

I'd absolutely replace clutch, flywheel (the springs fail and tend to chatter as they age), and the clutch slave. Its not going to much, if any labor to those. Also could get LSD, I had that done recently and it is a hell of an upgrade.

I'd also consider just replacing axles as well. My CV joints started to fail after 90k - granted I'm running more power than stock but something worth noting

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
For Clutch+slave, Flywheel, Axles, LSD, and Input shaft bearing, + labor for it all you are looking at ~$2,500

haste

1000 Post Club
I bought a used transmission for $800 from Pumaspeed in the UK. It had 8000 miles on it. I tore it apart to change the final drive and add a limited slip diff, and honestly I could have just thrown it right on the car without taking it apart and it would have been fine. You could possibly lower the cost of the repair by going with a known good used transmission.

I also don't believe these transmissions will be hard to find in the future. The MK8 Fiesta ST in Europe uses the same transmission, just a different final drive. Plenty of them out there...

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
On the carrier bearing, I'm thinking the noise would be the same in 5th and 6th at a certain speed, but it definitely varies. On the LSD, what's a good brand, source,and price range? If there's ever been a car that needs one, the ST qualifies. That might be worth a teardown just for the traction. I guess I'm mainly ticked since I keep hearing that faint whine and know what's coming - takes too much fun out of the car. Guess I need to plot out all my options.

CSM

1000 Post Club
On the carrier bearing, I'm thinking the noise would be the same in 5th and 6th at a certain speed, but it definitely varies. On the LSD, what's a good brand, source,and price range? If there's ever been a car that needs one, the ST qualifies. That might be worth a teardown just for the traction. I guess I'm mainly ticked since I keep hearing that faint whine and know what's coming - takes too much fun out of the car. Guess I need to plot out all my options.
I have a Quaife that i just go installed. They are ~$900-$1000 or so. I got mine new in box with an install kit, clutch, and clutch slave for $1,000 (Fiesta ST owner decided to sell car and dump these parts).

Traction used to be an issue. Now its much less - car rockets out of corners. You can really feel the diff yanking the car out of the corners.

Yamo

Hey guys, any follow-up here? I've got a 2016 and just rolled over 42k (Yes....out of warranty) and it just started to whine in 4th gear on light throttle between 2-3k rpms. I changed the tranny fluid with the recommended Motorcraft XT11QDC as soon as I noticed it. Didn't really change much. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car new, but now I live in a new state from where I purchased the car, so I doubt the dealership would honor much. Any help here would be appreciated!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys, any follow-up here? I've got a 2016 and just rolled over 42k (Yes....out of warranty) and it just started to whine in 4th gear on light throttle between 2-3k rpms. I changed the tranny fluid with the recommended Motorcraft XT11QDC as soon as I noticed it. Didn't really change much. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car new, but now I live in a new state from where I purchased the car, so I doubt the dealership would honor much. Any help here would be appreciated!
Powertrain warranty is 5yr. 60k*RTFM

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Is that's excluding any type of extended warranty?
What type of warranty did you buy? If the dealership sold you some type of warranty that only works through them I'm sorry but you got screwed over. The only warranty they should be selling you is a Ford extended warranty.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is that's excluding any type of extended warranty?
Thats the warranty ANY FOMOCO vehicle comes with as long as its under by year and mileage its still covered by FOMOCO.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Some dealers let you think you bought the Ford Extended Warranty until you check your paperwork............ I hope he did not get sucked into a dealership "Warranty". Either way FOMOCO should cover it.

Yamo

What type of warranty did you buy? If the dealership sold you some type of warranty that only works through them I'm sorry but you got screwed over. The only warranty they should be selling you is a Ford extended warranty.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
It's a third party one :mad: (6 years or 75k "bumper-to-bumper") whichever comes first. It's just odd, I've literally had no issues with the car until the last two weeks. It's our family daily, don't autocross, etc. The tranny sound came out of nowhere. Seems like I'm not the only one, unfortunately.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Simply take it to a Ford dealer and don't even mention the so called warranty and get it fixed.