Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does Android Auto really suck, or am I doing it wrong?

I searched for threads on Android Auto, and it's hard to even know where to start to troubleshoot problems because of so many Android Auto, Sync, and Android OS versions over the years, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has a suggestion for a good troubleshooting starting point based on my specific situation.

I have a '17 FiST with Sync 3 (v 2.0). I have happily used Apple CarPlay with my ancient iPhone 5S (I don't really care about smartphones; I just want something that works with basic modern apps) for three years and never had any trouble setting it up or getting it to work with voice commands. It even worked well with Google Maps.

But the old phone finally crapped out a week ago, and to save money, I ordered a cheap Android: an LG Stylo 5x from my carrier Boost Mobile. I downloaded Android Auto and a couple of apps to go with it: jetAudio and Podcast Addict. (I instantly disliked the Google Music Play app's interface and I rarely stream music or podcasts in the car; preferring to play content downloaded to my phone.)

Following the Sync phone-pairing instructions, I got Android Auto to work on a basic level, but after three days, I absolutely cannot get voice commands to work, either through the steering wheel buttons or the microphone icon on AA. If I ask for navigation directions in Google Maps, it just hangs. While it's hanging, the audio I was listening to (jetAudio or Podcast Addict) stops playing and can't be restarted without unplugging the phone and plugging it back in. I can't even get the Google Assistant to respond if I ask to play music, make a phone call, etc. God, I miss Siri.

If I can't get voice commands to work with AA, it's pretty close to worthless. I'm not a tech Luddite, but everything I've tried to solve this problem has failed. I feel like it's a Google/AA thing, not a Ford/Sync thing.

Any ideas on troubleshooting or videos that will help me set this thing up so voice commands work? I have Android version 9 and Android Auto version 5.2.501054.

Thanks!

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I don't think Android communicates well with Sync 3. I used to use a Windows 10 phone, and it worked great with Sync 3 (except there weren't any apps to speak of) and it worked over bluetooth. You could even listen to an voice respond to texts without touching any buttons once a text came in from someone. Last November I finally broke down and got Android phones, and though we can get Android Auto on the screen, and it can use the navigation from the phone, and we can play audio from phone apps, it's really miserable with text messages now. You have to touch the screen several times to hear a message and there is no way to respond by dictating texts. I used to have my phone set to go on Android Auto when it connected by bluetooth, but that's essentially useless so I don't do it any more. Even if I want to play music out of my phone, I do it by bluetooth by selecting the phone as a source from the Sync 3 screen or the stereo source button. It would seem to be an easy thing for Google to code in so it can fully exploit the Sync 3 interface, but I don't think they care.

DEss

I have a '17 FiST with Sync 3 (v 2.0).

Any ideas on troubleshooting or videos that will help me set this thing up so voice commands work? I have Android version 9 and Android Auto version 5.2.501054.

Thanks!
It was a few years ago, but I thought Android auto support started with sync3 2.2.

First thing you can try is the voice command on your mobile to see if works properly when running aa.

I think different Android phones give vastly different experiences with AA and our Sync 3 systems. My LG V20 and V35 have both worked fine overall with the Sync3 on my FiST and previous FoRS. I also had no issues with my Galaxy S10E for the couple of months I had it. The only issue I've really had is sometimes when I plug and unplug a phone in a few times in a short period of time, it trips up a little getting back on AA in the car. Maybe your phone is the culprit?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
OK. I will go back on my opinion of Android Auto somewhat. Spurred by this thread I decided to experiment with it again. Couple of thoughts.
  1. Do not set your phone to start Android Auto when it connects to Sync 3 with Bluetooth. The Apps section of Sync 3 doesn't work right if AA is running. Since AA and Sync 3 do not really integrate with each other like Windows 10 Phone did with Sync 3, it is better to have just the limited function via bluetooth if you're going to run Sync 3 on the screen. You can make phone calls, look at or have it read texts, use media playback from the phone via the stereo's controls as another media source.
  2. When you connect to the car with a USB cable you can use AA, and all Sync 3 does is act as a bluetooth microphone to talk to your phone, and a display of what your phone is doing. By pressing the circle icon in the lower left corner of the Sync 3 screen you can have a "Home" view from Sync 3 that lets you see the car's stereo/radio display and controls in the upper right quadrant, though you get nothing in the Nav section of the screen.
  3. Voice commands to the phone through the car's microphone do work when connected by USB and running AA. You have to have your phone set and trained to respond to voice commands first. Test that out by using the commands on your phone by itself. There is no assistance from Sync 3 in using the phone's voice commands. You press the talk button on the steering wheel and wait for the beep from the stereo and the display of a little bar graph sort of thing in the center bottom of the screen. This indicates your phone is now listening for voice commands. If you say, "Hey Google" the phone will respond via the stereo with the standard response of what can it do for you. Or you can just say, "Call work," or "Text my wife" or whatever, and go through the task by voice. You can also say navigate to.....wherever you want to go and it will put up the Google Maps screen over the whole display and you are navigating with Google Maps (or whatever default mapping app you want to use). Or you can ask it how many miles away the moon is.
  4. Edit: you don't have to press the button on the steering wheel to talk to your phone. Just say Hey Google. If your phone is set to listen all the time it will respond.

Last edited:
I've never had issues with Android Auto unless I had really bad service in an area. I would definitely recommend you update you sync module to version 3. I've read they ironed out lots of bugs with version 3. The only other thing that I personally find sucks is losing my voice activated climate control adjustments while connected.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Why are you still on sync version TWO?

Have to have quality, short cable. 6ft max for best results. For BT, depends on the phone. Galaxy Note 9 killing it. Listening to Supertramp right now. Gotta go.

EDIT: not using a cable anymore. I only use it if I need to charge, but that is rare. I do my charging at home when around 20%

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My Galaxy S20 disconnects when I use Google Maps through AA. Was working great for the first week but disconnects every time now. I’ll buy a new cable first and see how it goes.