Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does the new yellow coolant change color from green to yellow?

So I just replaced the coolant in my 2014 FiST with the new yellow coolant as it is the standard OEM now and I needed to be topped up. The new coolant was a lime-green colour out of the bottle. Once I started the engine the coolant turned dull yellow. I am wondering now whether or it was because there was still too much orange coolant in the system to turn it yellow (I was only able to drain a gallon out of the car). Or is it just because it needed to run through the engine to turn yellow.

Here is a picture to refer to, the stuff in the bottle is fresh diluted coolant.

My question is for anyone who changed over to the new coolant; what does it look like in the expansion tank now?

Attachments

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #5
IT WAS THE MIXTURE OF COOLANT
Yea I figured, ended up flush the cold/new coolant out; then ran the engine with distilled water. Now the color is a lime-green/yellow. I guess if you really want to do this right you would have to vacuum fill it to get absolutely all the old stuff out. The car retains alot of coolant when draining.

Yea I figured, ended up flush the cold/new coolant out; then ran the engine with distilled water. Now the color is a lime-green/yellow. I guess if you really want to do this right you would have to vacuum fill it to get absolutely all the old stuff out. The car retains alot of coolant when draining.
There's no issue with mixing orange and yellow coolant, and that's official guidance from Ford. Other colors should not be mixed.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
So I just replaced the coolant in my 2014 FiST with the new yellow coolant as it is the standard OEM now and I needed to be topped up. The new coolant was a lime-green colour out of the bottle. Once I started the engine the coolant turned dull yellow. I am wondering now whether or it was because there was still too much orange coolant in the system to turn it yellow (I was only able to drain a gallon out of the car). Or is it just because it needed to run through the engine to turn yellow.

Here is a picture to refer to, the stuff in the bottle is fresh diluted coolant.

My question is for anyone who changed over to the new coolant; what does it look like in the expansion tank now?
Looks very similar to yours. Lots of coolant in the heater core, etc. still creates a funky colored mix.