Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Doesnt like to go into reverse unless...

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Only after being parked overnight or while at work (not when running into a store or anything brief). Doesn't want to go into reverse (all other gears smooth as butter)

Easily goes into reverse if I shift into another gear first or take off parking brake and roll just a bit.

Annoying and didn't used to do this until the last few days. Nothing weird happened, no bad shifts or even any hard driving really.

Fluid last changed 8/2020 (about 6000 miles ago)

Anyone else run into this before?

My advice to myself would be change the fluid and see if it helps.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I doubt reverse has a synchronizer so this may just be expected from time to time.

Just a tad curious that it's been landing between gears more often lately.

Our terrain here is very hilly and probably instinctively roll it as I'm shifting into reverse... thinking about it, that's exactly what I've been doing. There have been times where I've already been rolling it backwards and had to brake to slow down before engaging reverse.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #5
I found some information about this same issue effecting Focus ST guys. They came to the conclusion that its effected when the transmission is cold. Not sure why it didn't do this before and does it now. Some were performing a "Neutral Reset" by unlocking a plastic clip on the shift cable under the hood, placing it in 4th then relocking the plastic tab. Again this was Focus ST and I haven't confirmed the Fiesta is set up the same way. I'll most likely take a look at that when the rain decides to stop and maybe order some fresh Ravenol and bang both out at the same time.

I'm also going to check my reverse lockout mechanism. I did install an aftermarket ring a couple summers ago cant even remember who makes it now.

Intuit

3000 Post Club