Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drive Axle Replacement

I rallycross my FiST and haven't had any failures other than a pass side motormount, now upgraded.

But a couple of STs I race with have failed an axle which makes me wonder if I should prepare for that.

If I were to get a complete axle assembly from a wrecking yard -- I assume it's a couple of shafts, CVT and boot maybe, how difficult would that be to install in the pits?

And are right and left interchangeable or would I need two spares?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I rallycross my FiST and haven't had any failures other than a pass side motormount, now upgraded.

But a couple of STs I race with have failed an axle which makes me wonder if I should prepare for that.

If I were to get a complete axle assembly from a wrecking yard -- I assume it's a couple of shafts, CVT and boot maybe, how difficult would that be to install in the pits?

And are right and left interchangeable or would I need two spares?
They are different, however they have proven to be relatively strong in their OE form. The base axle is NOT interchangeable with the ST one, so be sure you get the specific one.

You would also need to have transmission fluid handy, when you remove one of the axles, the transmission tends to empty itself...

You may also want to keep an eye on the wheel hubs, they have been known to split from the splines that carry the axle on occasion.