Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driving on stock Bridgestones in the Winter?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
90% of the people here are gonna have a bad time using summer-y tires in wintry weather.

I've driven RE50A on multiple cars in very low temperatures. You'll be fine if you drive it slow and controlled. The first hint of snow or frost and things get dicey. Any visible amount and it's really better to stay parked.

If you can legitimately say you're not going to go out in the snow you can do it. If "Well, the snow unexpectedly came down just a little and I need to get home from work, it's only 3 miles" is a real possibility I'd get something else.

Bakersfield. no snow. no ice. no rain. just sun. sometimes frost. oh. and fog. and fog sucks. my summer onlys will be on all year. if it does get wet ill drive my 4x4

C. love

buy 15inch wheels and snow tires for them, END OF STORY. Theo only way i wouldnt do it is you never ever have to deal with snow

BPH

buy 15inch wheels and snow tires for them, END OF STORY. Theo only way i wouldnt do it is you never ever have to deal with snow
I drove my last car (a 2001 Suzuki Swift) daily year round on all seasons for 8 years in Alberta. I got my ST and I now walk to work and drive maybe once a week, so I figured I could stick with the stock tires. First snow of the year, I drove to the grocery store, got home, and placed an order for winter tires. No way on snow. I did drive on dry roads down to -10C while waiting for them to come in, and it was doable, but not great.

For the amount of use I'll get out of them here, I couldn't be happier that I bought them.

C. love

^lol i made the same choice when I first got the fiesta. After I almost hit a curb, tree, and another car then couldnt get up a very low grade entryway. I parked the car until i got snows and drove my beater truck. The summer tires really mean summer only lol. Currently Im on pirelli p zero nero and its 30-50 degrees where I am at its fine soon as it snows Im in the truck.

I did grt new snow tires this year but decided to have crappy 15inch wheels powdered and still waiting on their return

Chiming in here. I bought my car in Michigan in February. It was snowing that day. I got stuck multiple times taking the car home for the first time. It was impossible.

Any snow, no go.

Yea i tried going to discount tire to get my all season tire put on since they arrived the day it was starting to snow. So went out and there's barely any snow on the road and my car was spinning bad plus tire almost bald wasnt helping either so decided to stay home.

Stock tire in snow not good at all.

DaveG99

Here in Texas we don't get much snow. Every now and then we get a little and the city shuts down. I will run nothing but summer tires on my car all year long. If the weather is that bad Ill take out my 4x4 f150 if I need to drive.

Bottom line,guys. Summer tires are for warm weather. Snow and ice are not compatible with tread compounds used that give grip in warm temps. Anyone here that advocates driving on them in cold temps on snow or ice is kidding themselves and you! Ford should have made summer only tires an option. They are actually a disincentive to potential buyers who don't want to purchase a second set of equally special tires. People who would want summer type tires would normally buy them anyway. This situation has hurt sales in fall and winter months (Duhhh!) In snowbelt states. It is foolish to drive your new Fiesta that costs thousands of dollars on inappropriate tires. Let alone the insurance nightmare that will ensue when cheapass you slides through an intersection and T bones a minivan full of rug rats. Its just not worth the potential misery.

Bottom line,guys. Summer tires are for warm weather. Snow and ice are not compatible with tread compounds used that give grip in warm temps. Anyone here that advocates driving on them in cold temps on snow or ice is kidding themselves and you! Ford should have made summer only tires an option. They are actually a disincentive to potential buyers who don't want to purchase a second set of equally special tires. People who would want summer type tires would normally buy them anyway. This situation has hurt sales in fall and winter months (Duhhh!) In snowbelt states. It is foolish to drive your new Fiesta that costs thousands of dollars on inappropriate tires. Let alone the insurance nightmare that will ensue when cheapass you slides through an intersection and T bones a minivan full of rug rats. Its just not worth the potential misery.
Or like Mitsu said with the Evo comes with summer only tires. Install winter tires for winter.

Here in Texas we don't get much snow. Every now and then we get a little and the city shuts down. I will run nothing but summer tires on my car all year long. If the weather is that bad Ill take out my 4x4 f150 if I need to drive.
Same here. When it gets any kind of snowy I just play it safe and stay home. Even if my tires could make traction doesn't mean the person behind me knows how to drive in snow, because no one in Texas drives in snow enough to actually know. If I get caught at work during a snow I'll just have to see if my uncle can pick me up since he lives closer to me and at least has all-seasons.