Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drove a Scion FR-S today/owner drove my car

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I mean.. I daily drove grand nationals for years and had to let them go because it wasn’t fun unless the front tires came off the ground.
I was more honestly interested in the eco boost mustang with sport suspension, but the type of driving I enjoy... the Stang was just too big.

a 70’s Toyota Celica screaming through individual carbs, super light with manual everything? Every drive feels like a racetrack!

twisties are more fun in a small car where you can move around in your lane - I think that’s why fiat 500’s (even the non abarths tbh) were so fun :)
I'm Into small.....my first car was a Fiat 600D........I liked the 500 Turbo over the Abarth but got the FiST instead of either Fiat. Just did not trust dealer support. I will keep my FiST. I bet your Celica was a nice car..... had a sweet engine!

I bought a FiST over a BRZ.....today. I bought from afar and haven't driven a FiST at all yet. However I test drove a BRZ and a GT86 in the past and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The 86 had some suspension work and the BRZ was stock.

What made my decision this time was two-fold:
- RWD is a pain in the winter. I know a good tire/driver combo will mitigate that but I learned to drive on a RWD car and was weary of the energy requirement.
- What it really came down to for me was space. The FiST is usable to carry stuff, the FRS/BRZ/GT86 not as much. Especially if you need to seat 3-4 peeps sometimes.

Also, in all honesty, having been a Subaru guy a while, I'm just mad they never made an AWD version, at least not yet. I drove an NA impreza that had less power than the BRZ and it was both a blast and a practical vehicle, invincible in the snow. So I never really came past my initial disappointment.

CSM

1000 Post Club
@jeff I think you nailed it. I've owned an FRS since December and its been a great second car. I'm a really big fan of the driving position and the balance of the car. Very fun to drive and engaging. I think the FiST and the FRS compliment each other very well and I think its a great combo.

Great time to pick one up as the Scion's have tanked in value since the brand was discontinued. I got mine w/ 70k 1 owner clean no mods for under $11k. You could get it under $10k for sure with patience

Coming from owning the car for 7 years. It has been a fun ride. One of the pro and the bigging downfall is that the frs/brz is purpose built car designed for one purpose. The drivers enjoyment and everything else was secondary. People complained about torque however it is difficult to give more power without forced induction.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Bumping thread again. Been autocrossing the Scion a lot more. What an amazing car! Just a joy to drive at the limit, very easy

Fiesta isn't going anywhere. Will be keeping that for years. But when next gen 86 comes out, I've been so impressed w/ my Scion I may take a peek at those....

CSM

1000 Post Club
Yeah, full prep STX car (what I have, too) is pretty hard to argue with. Header and tune fixes the torque dip, great shocks and diff just make it that much better.
Mine is actually nearly prepped for SSC, but since I'm missing sway bars and proper wheels, I have to run STX.

Gonna run it SSC all next year

CSM

1000 Post Club
Those things must have the lowest center of gravity of anything on the road, with the boxer engine and all, no?
At one point it was marketed as the lowest CG of any production car, at around 18 inches. Lower than a cayman, ND Miata, etc. TBH its a bit of a marketing gimmick - sum of the parts is more important.

FWIW the next gen brz/86 has leaked, at least spy shots. Latest renders look good (look accurate to me)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^I know that they are in totally different markets/price points/etc., but THAT looks so many times better than the current (AND past for that matter!) Supra! [thumb] [wink]

The latter y bodies (Vettes) with the LSx engines were also touted as having a low cg as well, due to the relatively light weight of, and lack of huge, multiple cam/extra valve train component containing heads of, those power plants, as well as how low they sat in the engine bays.

Well, I'm not super stoked with the new one. I like the front end but but rear looks weird (taillights shape and trunk panel being almost flat are the reason for me) and the side skirts are plain ugly. Like, ripped off a F&F prop car ugly. Interior looks like a midcycle refresh from the old one at best. Performance wise, no surprise there, everyone with an ounce of brain knew there would be no turbo for cost reason and to not cannibalize 4cyl Supra and WRX sales. Waiting to see if the torque dip is truly defeated. Plus, price is going up a couple grands if rumors are to be believed...Overall, I prefer the old gen. Bummer.

CSM

1000 Post Club
It looks like the love child of an RX8/NSX/RCF

I'll need to see it in person before I make a decision. Kind of leaning towards ND2 miata and cayman now

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya the looks tossed me. I am also not feeling the gauge cluster design. Its way to video game and the dash is kinda meh. As far as TQ dip goes in my opinion its still there in the numbers 228 hp 184 ft lbs TQ?
I personally would be looking at a 718 Cayman as well( ya I know a bit more expensive) I am not feeling Miata’s . Of course I am also waiting to see what happens with the Nissan Proto Z.
I am seriously more on the Z or Cayman tip anways though.

ronmcdon

trying to look at this on the positive side, toyota and subaru aren't doing much to change a good formula. I'm not really sure a relatively affordable lighter rwd car with a manual transmission will survive 10 years from now, as a new car offering. That is, esp with Mazda's questionable direction to go 'upscale.' not sure if next miata won't be compromised.

brz/86 torque dip is an issue for sure but not like a header and tune can't fix. Fiesta St has pretty awful torque steer, so-so radiator, but again I am ok because there seems to be effective aftermarket solutions.

Prior to picking up the fiesta st, I was cross shopping a new ND club. What made me choose the Fiesta is that a car like that, there's a good chance won't ever be made again for the US market. a lower mileage 5k that I got may be hard to find in a couple of years. With a brz/86 or miata I can probably still pick something up new or low mileage in a few years after I pay off my fiesta.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
trying to look at this on the positive side, toyota and subaru aren't doing much to change a good formula. I'm not really sure a relatively affordable lighter rwd car with a manual transmission will survive 10 years from now, as a new car offering. That is, esp with Mazda's questionable direction to go 'upscale.' not sure if next miata won't be compromised.

brz/86 torque dip is an issue for sure but not like a header and tune can't fix. Fiesta St has pretty awful torque steer, so-so radiator, but again I am ok because there seems to be effective aftermarket solutions.

Prior to picking up the fiesta st, I was cross shopping a new ND club. What made me choose the Fiesta is that a car like that, there's a good chance won't ever be made again for the US market. a lower mileage 5k that I got may be hard to find in a couple of years. With a brz/86 or miata I can probably still pick something up new or low mileage in a few years after I pay off my fiesta.
Fair assessment you’re the first person here I have seen answer the issue with a solution rather than just ignoring the fact. I got into it with several members in another thread because I made a big deal about. They were happy it had a bit more power and TQ and I was meh! not enough.
I will probably catch flack for that statement but so be it its true. :lol: Does your car have a tune on it? Stock I remember TQ steer was not bad at all but once you drop a Tune on it then it becomes an issue. The passenger side engine mount is one of the area’s that can be upgraded and get rid of a lot of it. Its a really soft mount stock. Also the RMM mount is advised as the stock one is kinda soft though not as soft as pre 17. Then the other thing is a traction bar which is actually a front control arm tie in bar. Several people make them and some are tie in the crossmember much like a BMW X brace.
Those things should help if not eliminate all or almost all of your TQ steer. Trust me if you drove a FoST or a Mazdaspeed3 you would not think the FiST had bad TQ steer.:ROFLMAO: