Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drove my first FiST today.

Dropped by the local Ford dealership, "Towne Ford", and tried out an orange FiST with Recaros and a bunch of other options. That is a small car, barely bigger than my current daily driver 2007 Honda Fit. A good thing, imo, I like small cars.

I'm a small guy, but I thought the Recaros were a little tight, and seemed like they'd get uncomfortable over long distances. I briefly sat in a standard seat, and it seemed, at least for my ass, it would be better for a daily driver.
I think for someone who will do track days, it could be a good idea to get the standard seats, plus a hardcore racing seat to be used only for track days. Cheaper, too.

I thought the dash looked better in reality than in photos. As I've read in a few places, some of the interior did have a slightly cheap feel, like the height adjuster on the seat, and some of the buttons. I don't mind much, that wouldn't keep me from buying the car, but it probably wouldn't cost that much for Ford to use slightly higher quality materials and construction techniques. My Fit doesn't feel fancy, but it doesn't feel cheapish like the Ford. Even the sound of the turn signal seemed low grade, a clack, clack, clack, instead of a crisp click. The quality certainly wasn't awful, but it would be a good thing if it was a touch better.

Looked like the rear offered good utility. The rear seats don't fold flat like in the Fit, but I don't need every possible square inch of space either. Seemed like semi-decent leg room back there, too.

On to the fun stuff. As is typical, the salesman rode with me and there was a good amount of traffic, so of course I couldn't really wring the car out. I did take it on the highway and flatfoot it briefly, contrary to a lot of people, I loved the snarl through the sound tube. I never wrung it out to redline, maybe into the high 5000s. I have to say, I wasn't super impressed with the power, but I wasn't disappointed either. I could tell it was pretty strong, definitely way stronger than my Fit, but it didn't have the jaw-clenching, teeth-gritting, slam you into the back of the seat ferocity that really muscular, power-lifting, he-man cars have. I've had a couple of cars that were about as fast as the FiST, so I guess I'm kind of used to that amount of acceleration.

Didn't get a chance to get much feel for the chassis other than a couple of quick lane changes, but even cruising it had the taut, athletic feel of a high-performance car. Love that. Not as light and tossible feeling as my Fit, or as solid and planted as my old WRX, but right in between, strong yet agile. I have no problem believing the reviews that rave about its handling, but I wish I had a chance to experience it for myself.

All in all I thought it was a pretty sweet car, and I'm definitely still interested in getting one. I'm not going to get the one I drove though, has options I don't want, and I think I'd rather buy used.

BTW, another FiST that I looked at there didn't have nav, but it had a pod with three gauges on top of the dash. Is that an option, or is that what they install on all FiSTs that don't have nav? I think I'd prefer that to nav.

I'm a small guy, but I thought the Recaros were a little tight, and seemed like they'd get uncomfortable over long distances. I briefly sat in a standard seat, and it seemed, at least for my ass, it would be better for a daily driver.
Recaros will 'break in' and IMO are infinitely more comfortable than standard seats. It's hard to tell just on a test drive.
...but it didn't have the jaw-clenching, teeth-gritting, slam you into the back of the seat ferocity that really muscular, power-lifting, he-man cars have. I've had a couple of cars that were about as fast as the FiST, so I guess I'm kind of used to that amount of acceleration.
It's not a muscle car. It's an agile car with great handling and a decent amount of power (but again, not close to muscle car levels in stock form).

The regular Fiesta is probably a better comparison to the Honda Fit. Honda Fit wins on practicality. FiST wins on fun, hands down!!!

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
The car with the three gauges sounds like it was a Focus ST
That's embarrassing. You're right. I know because I just looked at a photo of a new Focus and it has the same wheels the salesman pointed out to me on that car. Even more embarrassing for him, he should know a Focus from a FiST, he looks at them all day. [biggrin]

Waterfan

The salespeople who insist on riding along are actually killing sales of this car. On one of my 3 supervised test rides the fellow had to be 6-foot and north of 300 lbs. Sucked the pep right out of it and yes, I absolutely agree, VERY unimpressive power when you add >10% more weight.

Believe me or not, it is almost a different car when you're by yourself :)

Fiesta ST doesn't need a sales ride along to answer questions. Offer a solo test drive instead and these will fly off the lot!

OP: I know not everyone will agree, but I completely agree with you about the seats. They are uncomfortable for me and I would not have this car with Recaros as a daily driver. I am in the car business, and I have driven many "broken in" recaros in the Fist and Fost.

Everyone's different but I am very happy with the standard seats as a DD. If I was hardcore track, the Recaros would be the choice. Not all Recaros are equal. Some are so good, but the Fist/Fost's are not their best effort.

So, everyones different. But if you are not comfortable with the Recaros on your test drive, I would not get them. Just my opinion.

A stock fist is not a quick accelerating car by any standard. I would say more like average. It's the handling that sets this car apart.

I have both a 94 Jeep GC with a v8 and a 14 8 speed v6 that I would say are both faster than the fist in a drag race. This car is tons of fun on ramps and give you a cool feeling when you drive it that not many cars offer in this price range.

Zormecteon

A stock fist is not a quick accelerating car by any standard.
By the standards of '60 muscle cars its VERY quick. Back in the day anything that could get into the 14's was considered HOT. Only the rarest of the rare (Hemi Cudas, 427/435 horse Chevys, and Corvettes) from that time are as quick as our little rockets. Granted today's stuff will stuff our cars, ...including the FoST.

OP
G
Thread Starter #10
By the standards of '60 muscle cars its VERY quick. Back in the day anything that could get into the 14's was considered HOT. Only the rarest of the rare (Hemi Cudas, 427/435 horse Chevys, and Corvettes) from that time are as quick as our little rockets. Granted today's stuff will stuff our cars, ...including the FoST.
OP, here. Don't get me wrong, it was about as fast as I expected it to be, but I suppose there was a little piece of me that was hoping it would be even faster than that. I thought it felt strong, and it's really about as fast as I'd want for a daily driver. From the stats I've seen, it's about as quick as my 2002 WRX was, and that's going to feel quicker in a smaller car like the FiST. A lot of reviews I've seen say the car feels quicker than it is, and that's fine with me. I just want a car that's a lot of fun to drive, I have no need to impress anyone with my quarter mile times. If I ever do decide I need tire-frying power, it seems there are plenty of ways to get it.

This car is pretty much everything I want in a car - small, nimble, quick, affordable and practical. I liked it a lot.