Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E-tune vs Dyno tune ?

Is there a big enough difference between both ?
Does anyone have any experience with maybe starting off with an e-tune then getting it dyno tuned, and ofcourse is it worth the 500$ price tag (atleast thats what i got quoted)
Ive reached the point where i have basically all the performance mods i want installed on the car including whoosh's hybrid turbo im tuned on 91 by dizzy and im LOVING it (e85 almost non existent around me) ,, but if theres a chance i can squeeze even more out of it and have numbers on a paper to reference id be all in especially at this altitude (6,000ft) i saw on another thread someone else on here from colorado was tuned at edge autosports and if i remember correctly he was sitting at just about if not just over 300whp wich is my ultimate goal with my pocket rocket.

So basically in a nutshell stay E-tuned ? or put her on the roller ?

Se7eN

Ok, here is the deal. When you dyno tune, you tune for the conditions on the dyno. Maybe you'll get more out of it and when you hit the streets you'll start seeing random knock. So that Street tune will still be necessary, which is what a E-tune ends up being.

I've done both in my car and recently after the one dyno session the other revisions with my tuner have been via email and doing runs on the street.

Go E-Tune and if you want to see results go to a dyno just for kicks and seeing numbers.

OP
Eddie0513
Thread Starter #3
Ok, here is the deal. When you dyno tune, you tune for the conditions on the dyno. Maybe you'll get more out of it and when you hit the streets you'll start seeing random knock. So that Street tune will still be necessary, which is what a E-tune ends up being.

I've done both in my car and recently after the one dyno session the other revisions with my tuner have been via email and doing runs on the street.

Go E-Tune and if you want to see results go to a dyno just for kicks and seeing numbers.
So essentially its gonna be pretty comparable to the e-tune or atleast not a big enough power difference between both ? the only thing the dyno can offer is numbers for that specific day atleast thats what im taking from this .... might aswell just stick to my tune if thats the case

So essentially its gonna be pretty comparable to the e-tune or atleast not a big enough power difference between both ? the only thing the dyno can offer is numbers for that specific day atleast thats what im taking from this .... might aswell just stick to my tune if thats the case
Possible jail time doing an Etune and you get caught doing a 4th gear pull. Just something to factor in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually it's a 3rd gear pull, and yes most of the time that would still exceed the speed limit.
4th gear is preferred gearing because it’s your closest 1:1 ratio. 3rd works bit 4th is preferred.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Actually it's a 3rd gear pull, and yes most of the time that would still exceed the speed limit.
Se7eN, I know you saw my other post where I copied from Jason's site, it states 4th gear pull. What is your opinion? 4th makes more sense bc you are at a low rpm and it has a load to get up to 6.5k. I bought a used AP and have not done any feedback on the tunes as all three are on there and I'm trying them out a little each so I don't spend $225 just to settle on one that would cost $75 to have analyzed.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I got a country back road I use. It's not the flattest road but it's long enough for a 4th gear pull to red line. No chance of merging traffic or pedestrians.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Se7eN

Se7eN, I know you saw my other post where I copied from Jason's site, it states 4th gear pull. What is your opinion? 4th makes more sense bc you are at a low rpm and it has a load to get up to 6.5k. I bought a used AP and have not done any feedback on the tunes as all three are on there and I'm trying them out a little each so I don't spend $225 just to settle on one that would cost $75 to have analyzed.
When I did a e-tune it was from Tune+, Adam suggest the 3rd gear pull.

I think you can see just about the same data from 4th to 3rd, in a bigger turbo you'll see different spool. Actually vastly different from doing a run in 3rd to 4th. On a stock turbo or hybrid a really don't see the point of endangering your car doing a pull in 4th gear which will break 105mph, also that load might lead to more knock.

Se7eN

4th gear is preferred gearing because it’s your closest 1:1 ratio. 3rd works bit 4th is preferred.
On a dyno definitely 4th gear would be best for the most accurate. But on the road on a log all you are seeing is that the engine is doing, yes more load might be better but it's not really necessary.

Well if you dyno tune use a Mustang dyno or one that puts a load on the car. One advantage of dyno tuning is you and your tuner are face to face in real time before, during and after the tuning so you’re getting instant feedback and not waiting for an email. Data logging is also useful information your tuner would like to see as well.

Se7eN

Well if you dyno tune use a Mustang dyno or one that puts a load on the car. One advantage of dyno tuning is you and your tuner are face to face in real time before, during and after the tuning so you’re getting instant feedback and not waiting for an email. Data logging is also useful information your tuner would like to see as well.
I did street tuning with my tuner. Helps to live in the same area though.

From my experience 3rd gear pulls on the road last less then 10-15 seconds. You don't need that much road and you can get back to limit quickly. I have not done a 4th gear pull yet, but now I'm interested.

OP
Eddie0513
Thread Starter #16
Yeah thats deffinetly true, so even after getting tuned on a dyno datalogs are still gonna be a thing ... i was curious maybe at this altitude dyno tuning would be the more beneficial way to go but it looks like power wise it wouldnt be that much different even though knowing how much im making would be awesome

Erick_V

From my experience 3rd gear pulls on the road last less then 10-15 seconds. You don't need that much road and you can get back to limit quickly. I have not done a 4th gear pull yet, but now I'm interested.
On a 4th gear datalog you're doing a pull from around 40 to 100+, be cautious when doing them. Other drivers are rather unpredictable. I do mine on a flat access road about a 1/4 mile long that doesn't have any road entrances. I personally wouldn't do them if I didn't need to, however, my tuner requests 4th gear logs

That’s the other thing tuning on a dyno. It allows the tuner to see high rpm and mph so you don’t spend the night in the cab smelling Thunderbird all night 🍾

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Like the others have said...100mph+. While 'safe' in most areas, it can be a hefty ticket. There are few straight, flat high speed (100+ w/o a ticket) roads around here. A lot of unmarked cars too. And not the typical ones...

I'm kinda screwed to do a 4th gear run. Rt 28 runs as straight as can be, next to Dulles airport w/minimal sloping, but can have radar on occasion. Then add the unmarked car factor. I would have to have the assistance of a spotter down the road watching for oncoming police.

I'd rather do a 3rd gear run...until I get back to Spain or Germany....oh I miss that driving.

My driving record is the reason I have 90 days suspended jail time until this December, so yea even doing an occasional 3rd gear pull coming on the highway is all the thrill I need. If I get a custom tune in the future it'll be on a dyno.