Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Mustang VS Fiesta ST

First thought? I like apples. I like oranges. Unless I'm making some weird fruit salad, I don't like to compare them.

CanadianST

Yeah they are quite different but I'm sure there's more than myself out there who we're looking pretty hard at the Mustang. They both go for around the same price, are both turbo i4, i don't see it being that far fetched to compare them.

This was a question I had to ask myself when the new Mustangs finally came in. Having driven all of them from a base V6 to a GT Premium Performance Pack, my favorite Mustang is the EcoBoost with the Performance Pack. I think it looks great, and it drives fantastic, and of course the all new independent rear suspension and rear wheel drive is quite a lot of fun. However, it was always going to cost more to own the Mustang, even from a fully loaded ST.

The Mustang is a two-door, basically 2+2 coupe with an unusable backseat (you need to be less than 5 feet tall to comfortably sit there), yet it is GIGANTIC in comparison to the Fiesta ST, and weighs MUCH more. That doesn't make sense to me. The FiST is much more nimble, gets much better gas mileage, actually has usable backseats, costs less to buy, costs less to own, insurance is significantly cheaper with it, and it has a whole hatch! Not to mention that although the Mustang costs more, it lacks the Recaros (I absolutely wanted these), no moonroof (I wanted this too), no heated seats (not supremely important, but I like them), and has no touchscreen entertainment or navigation system (I wanted HD radio and Nav). If those options are added to the Mustang the price becomes massively inflated.

Now if I wanted a rear wheel drive coupe and had no other concerns, I would go straight to the Mustang. But I want the best of all worlds, and the Fiesta ST just can't be beat for that.

OP
Teezlr
Thread Starter #6
This was a question I had to ask myself when the new Mustangs finally came in. Having driven all of them from a base V6 to a GT Premium Performance Pack, my favorite Mustang is the EcoBoost with the Performance Pack. I think it looks great, and it drives fantastic, and of course the all new independent rear suspension and rear wheel drive is quite a lot of fun. However, it was always going to cost more to own the Mustang, even from a fully loaded ST.

The Mustang is a two-door, basically 2+2 coupe with an unusable backseat (you need to be less than 5 feet tall to comfortably sit there), yet it is GIGANTIC in comparison to the Fiesta ST, and weighs MUCH more. That doesn't make sense to me. The FiST is much more nimble, gets much better gas mileage, actually has usable backseats, costs less to buy, costs less to own, insurance is significantly cheaper with it, and it has a whole hatch! Not to mention that although the Mustang costs more, it lacks the Recaros (I absolutely wanted these), no moonroof (I wanted this too), no heated seats (not supremely important, but I like them), and has no touchscreen entertainment or navigation system (I wanted HD radio and Nav). If those options are added to the Mustang the price becomes massively inflated.

Now if I wanted a rear wheel drive coupe and had no other concerns, I would go straight to the Mustang. But I want the best of all worlds, and the Fiesta ST just can't be beat for that.
Exactly my thoughts! A loaded ecobeast is 36k-38k and they def drive very heavy compared to the ST, also way less nimble... a good open road car but the Fist is best suited for the city.

I think this is a fair comparison but I'm weird and I cross shopped the mustang and FiST. At the time I was looking at a 14' v6 mustang and was thinking about holding off for the 15' ecoboost mustang.

Now that the smoke has cleared with all the specs and reviews the ecoboost mustang kind of let me down. I wanted it to be a legitimate performance model and it's more of a "sporty" car. Like others have said it's just so darn heavy. This is the company that just took what? 700lbs off the F150? I know way more vehicle to take weight from and the new mustang has more airbags ect. but still. Come on ford reduce that front overhang (purely for stylistic reasons) and take some weight out of the thing. Then on top of that the price with the performance pack and recaro's would have really stretched my budget.

I'm someone who wanted to get an impractical car before I had kids and I was willing to give up the back seat, trunk room all that kind of stuff. I prefer the FiST for one reason.

The FiST surprises you by how capable it is where the ecoboost mustang surprises you by not being as fast as it looks. That's IMHO and I would love to be completely wrong. I'm just going off reviews if anyone who knows someone with an ecoboost mustang that wants to give me a ride let me know ;).

I don't see how they could be compared, aside from the obvious differences. Just from a price point, the basic FiST, is $21,020 and has lots of tech upgrades at that price. The Mustang optioned up similarly (Ecoboost, Performance Pack, interior lighting) is $28,200. That's 33% higher.

And just from a personal stand point (someone who's had several Mustangs), you'd be retarded to spend $28,200 on an Ecoboost and not just get a GT for $4k more. Only 14% more if we're talking economies of scale.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I think this is a fair comparison but I'm weird and I cross shopped the mustang and FiST. At the time I was looking at a 14' v6 mustang and was thinking about holding off for the 15' ecoboost mustang.

Now that the smoke has cleared with all the specs and reviews the ecoboost mustang kind of let me down. I wanted it to be a legitimate performance model and it's more of a "sporty" car. Like others have said it's just so darn heavy. This is the company that just took what? 700lbs off the F150? I know way more vehicle to take weight from and the new mustang has more airbags ect. but still. Come on ford reduce that front overhang (purely for stylistic reasons) and take some weight out of the thing. Then on top of that the price with the performance pack and recaro's would have really stretched my budget.

I'm someone who wanted to get an impractical car before I had kids and I was willing to give up the back seat, trunk room all that kind of stuff. I prefer the FiST for one reason.

The FiST surprises you by how capable it is where the ecoboost mustang surprises you by not being as fast as it looks. That's IMHO and I would love to be completely wrong. I'm just going off reviews if anyone who knows someone with an ecoboost mustang that wants to give me a ride let me know ;).
LOL yea and with a tune they go 12.7x's lol.

LOL yea and with a tune they go 12.7x's lol.
Never said they were slow. Motortrend clocked the stock GT at 12.8 so that's awesome for the ecoboost on a tune. I was saying that's the kind performance people expect from a mustang. I was just saying the FiST surprises more people.

I'm not a 1/4 mile person and I'm a bigger fan of the "sensation of speed" over actual numbers. If the ecoboost is more fun in the twisties then the FiST I stand corrected. I just haven't heard anyone say that yet.....

CanadianST

I find it hard to imagine the Mustang being more fun in anything but a straight line, and that's coming from someone who really likes them. Look at everything the FiST is being compared to in that area, there's some crazy expensive cars that don't have the feel it does. And as for the 11 sec ecoboost I'm not really all that surprised. The FiST gained a ton of power with a tune and it's easy to imagine ford detuning the i4 Mustang from the factory, they wouldn't want it able to compete with the more expensive GT. If only i had the extra money laying around, would be fun to grab one and totally gut it to try and get that weight down.