Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

End all be all actuator replacement thread (clicking sound, part numbers, video install)

The damn thing struck again - I had already relplaced the blend door actuator a couple of years back, and now the replacement broke. That's not THE issue, however - the problem is that I can't fit the new actuator inside the gears that turn the blend door. The last 1/8 or so of a turn is just not happening. I even took the "spindle" from the broken one - and I can move the door from one extreme position to another with it or with the new actuator partially engaged. But, for some reason, I can't line it up completely - so the screw holes aren't lining up to complete the install.

Not sure what reason for that is - last time, no problem with the install. The parts are the same (the same part number) and they look identical, save for the manufacturing date. (I am yet to see if the gear turns when I use the climate controls).

Thoughts?
I thought it was the smartest - before inserting it, I connected the drive to the connector (wires) and selected the windscreen blowing mode. Before that, using the gear marked in the screenshot, I scrolled it to the extreme position at which the air really blows only on the windshield. When trying to insert it... No, it didn't work out. Apparently, changing the extreme positions is not a 360-degree rotation of the drive.

then I removed the selection of the blowing mode - none of the buttons for the direction of air flows were highlighted. Again, by turning the gear, I set it presumably to the central position. (I counted how many times I scrolled it from edge to edge, and turned it back by half of that number)

I positioned the drive above the landing site (the recess into which the drive gear should sink), held it at the angle at which it should be fixed, pressed it with a slight emphasis to the hole in which it should become. Switching mode between blowing the legs and the windshield, at one point he still "fell" inside. It didn't fit perfectly - but taking it out a little and shifting it by a couple of degrees was no longer a problem.

if this is ever read by the Ford engineer who designed the location of this drive... Know that my hands are covered in blood because of you :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The damn thing struck again - I had already relplaced the blend door actuator a couple of years back, and now the replacement broke. That's not THE issue, however - the problem is that I can't fit the new actuator inside the gears that turn the blend door. The last 1/8 or so of a turn is just not happening. I even took the "spindle" from the broken one - and I can move the door from one extreme position to another with it or with the new actuator partially engaged. But, for some reason, I can't line it up completely - so the screw holes aren't lining up to complete the install.

Not sure what reason for that is - last time, no problem with the install. The parts are the same (the same part number) and they look identical, save for the manufacturing date. (I am yet to see if the gear turns when I use the climate controls).

Thoughts?
Try the Dorman replacement. I lined mine up by activating the ignition then turning the ignition off right when it got to the desired position. Just make sure it is *fully* seated when you insert the part. Somehow I managed to have mine slightly out, which caused the gear to decouple from the motor which IIRC took better than a year. The climate control system will also return the blend doors to a default position on delay post shutoff so you want to get it installed within ten minutes or so.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
@Samber @Intuit @Frisk
Dudes - you rule. Indeed, turning the "big wheel" negates the need to break apart the broken actuator to get the gear peg to rotate the blend door. Now, that said - the problem in my case (and probably in the case of others) wasn't the inability to align the door gear positioning - it was the fact that the broken tooth inside the actuator caused the "peg" to end up in an awkward position so that alignment between the actuator and the door gears was not possible. The trick was to move the "peg" with the cable connected, by switching on/off the window defroster. This activated the gear motor inside the actuator and moved it into the proper position. After that, it snapped into place. Other than scratching my forearm multiple times to the point of bleeding, the rest was relatively easy.

Free bump- my 3rd drivers side one just went. My car was left at the airport for a few days. After shoveling out from a foot of snow in freezing temps, started the car to hear that dreaded noise.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Free bump- my 3rd drivers side one just went. My car was left at the airport for a few days. After shoveling out from a foot of snow in freezing temps, started the car to hear that dreaded noise.
Sorry to hear that, that had to be annoying. At least it doesn't prevent the heat from working after getting into the car following some snow shoveling.

I have a question. With so many blend door actuator thread coupled with being new didn’t want to start off wrong. I just replaced a clicking actuator after heat stopped. I bought a puengsi (something like that) and it would not align. Bought a dorman and went in like a charm. I verified correct part number and it is the one behind the glovebox. Clicking is gone but heat still not functioning. I anlso pulled 10a anc fuse annd I think correct block fuse and crunk for about 2 minutes then reinstalled fuses. I had read somewhere that could reset the hvac system. Still no heat though. Other than pouring a quart to half gallon of kerosene with a match- does anyone have any suggestions to get this thing to heat up?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Are you able to verify that each of the doors move? If not, which one is not moving; or are none of them moving? Does the blower motor operate? Are the lights and displays on the HVAC system responding normally?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Look at the diagram on page 8 of this thread. If you replaced the one behind the glovebox, that's the air inlet mode door actuator, which turns between recirc and fresh air. The Number 7 in the diagram is the one which actuates temperature blend doors. Number 2 is the one that directs the air to defrost, face vent, or floor.

Look at the diagram on page 8 of this thread. If you replaced the one behind the glovebox, that's the air inlet mode door actuator, which turns between recirc and fresh air. The Number 7 in the diagram is the one which actuates temperature blend doors. Number 2 is the one that directs the air to defrost, face vent, or floor.
Yes sir! That seems to be the culprit. I did have clicking on the transfer one behind the glovebox but it must have not have went completely out at the time. I just assumed that was what was causing the heat issue. It has been replaced and pretty easy. Now to try and figure out how hard it will be to change Out this one in the middle. Anyone got a good how to for this one?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Failure on the middle one seems rare.
Still get the clicking? Rather than guess, again, unplug each one until the clicking ceases.
If it isn't clicking, check for movement.

Ok guys not sure if this helps anyone but I’m posting my experience with all this jic. 2012 ford fiesta. Be8z-19788-b is the cam and actuator for the heat/air control. This is part #7&8 on the diagram on page 8 of this thread. My local dealership said this part was discontinued by ford which I will not comment further on. They gave me a number for a dealership in Connecticut 860-871-0094 which is the only dealership in us that has this part. I bought mine for 50$ so not sure if they have anymore. The links I followed briefly on a basic google search all said out of stock. This one shows a location on passenger side-I will soon see how much of a job it will be to replace. At first blush it doesn’t look too bad. Famous last words lol.

the next two are Dorman part numbers with the corresponding diagram number:

604-251 fresh air inlet actuator (air inlet mode door) #10 controls fresh/recirc air -this one is located Behind glove box 5minute fix give or take

604-400 #2 airflow mode door actuator control air to floor/ window located under steering wheel-this one is about an hour (at least it says so on all the videos).

I have seen confusing and conflicting reports here and gotten the same confusion from
parts stores as well. Hopefully this will help someone.

NAndy46

Hey everyone,
Picked up a 2014 FiST the other week and encountered one of several issues... the dreaded climate control...
My situation appeared to be somewhat unique, as I can choose the mode and vents, as well as recirculation. My issue was that regardless of the temperature, it would only blow very hot air. Setting the temperature, even at lo, would blow very hot air. A/C and max A/C (can feel the compressor engage), would still result in this very hot air.
After countless hours of research, and tons of uncertainty out there (how many actuators are in these cars? Which actuators commonly fail? How hard are they to replace? Etc.) I have referenced to the service manual and there are in fact THREE "climate" actuators in these cars. While the blend door and recirc ones are common failures, I believe my issue is caused by the temperature door actuator failing to engage. No clicking noise. Changing the temperature I would assume some audible noise with the movement in temperature door.
As this is the actuator that the service manual actually requires removal of the entire dash (located behind the passenger knee, NOT the one behind the glovebox), I am hesitant to start the entire procedure to replace, especially if my thoughts are incorrect.
Is there maybe something I am overlooking? Possibly a way to confirm that this part is inoperative versus a climate control electronic issue? Easy way to remove this third actuator without full dash removal?

Thanks for any help!!

Hey everyone,
Picked up a 2014 FiST the other week and encountered one of several issues... the dreaded climate control...
My situation appeared to be somewhat unique, as I can choose the mode and vents, as well as recirculation. My issue was that regardless of the temperature, it would only blow very hot air. Setting the temperature, even at lo, would blow very hot air. A/C and max A/C (can feel the compressor engage), would still result in this very hot air.
After countless hours of research, and tons of uncertainty out there (how many actuators are in these cars? Which actuators commonly fail? How hard are they to replace? Etc.) I have referenced to the service manual and there are in fact THREE "climate" actuators in these cars. While the blend door and recirc ones are common failures, I believe my issue is caused by the temperature door actuator failing to engage. No clicking noise. Changing the temperature I would assume some audible noise with the movement in temperature door.
As this is the actuator that the service manual actually requires removal of the entire dash (located behind the passenger knee, NOT the one behind the glovebox), I am hesitant to start the entire procedure to replace, especially if my thoughts are incorrect.
Is there maybe something I am overlooking? Possibly a way to confirm that this part is inoperative versus a climate control electronic issue? Easy way to remove this third actuator without full dash removal?

Thanks for any help!!
See my post just prior to yours. I have the same issue. If you find a good tutorial on this replacement please update lol. the heat actuator I purchased has a white gear on it

Yeah, it was throwing me off because it says it is "part of 19788" but part 19788 is #4 in that workshop manual image and is pointing to a part on the complete opposite side.

Turns out there was truth to the 19788 though and did find it here. I'm just not sure why in the workshop manual 19788 is pointing to a part elsewhere.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-cam_be8z-19788-b.html
Hey beanz…. thanks for your info. I found one of these at a dealership. My question is did you have a hard time replacing yours? Or what guide did you use? Any info is dearly appreciated concerning the install of the temp actuator

NAndy46

I had a chance to check a few things today. I pulled fuse #5 under the hood for ~1min to try and "reset" the actuators to have them recalibrate upon next start. No luck.

Went to the local pick n pull to try and find a solution for pulling the temperature actuator without full dash removal. When I was ripping and pulling away at the donor car's panels to even see where the actuator is located, i located it directly behind where the "kick" panel meets the glovebox, at the "Y" intersection, making removal next to impossible without full dash removal. If someone has managed a way, please let us know.

In the meantime, I will try to troubleshoot any other potential causes.

Hav
I had a chance to check a few things today. I pulled fuse #5 under the hood for ~1min to try and "reset" the actuators to have them recalibrate upon next start. No luck.

Went to the local pick n pull to try and find a solution for pulling the temperature actuator without full dash removal. When I was ripping and pulling away at the donor car's panels to even see where the actuator is located, i located it directly behind where the "kick" panel meets the glovebox, at the "Y" intersection, making removal next to impossible without full dash removal. If someone has managed a way, please let us know.

In the meantime, I will try to troubleshoot any other potential causes.
e an update on mine. I played around trying to figure out easiest way to replace my temp actuator. Thought about going to pull a part and doing what you did to dissect a donor lol. I was driving somewhere and noticed warm air coming out at my face. My heat started working again! I selected air/heat and it all works well. I threw the temp actuator in the glovebox as a stern warning to the old one to keep working. I will not change at the moment but still want an easier fix jic. Hope you have as much luck!