Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Engine Build v1.0

Trader history for Jason@dizzytuning (0)

I'm starting this thread to track the progression of this build, and to share any information I learn along the way. I started with a 2015 Escape 1.6L engine with 120,xxx miles for roughly $1,500 delivered. Over the last few months (I know, I have been slacking on posting), I have torn down this engine to the bare block. I will be sending out the block for a CSS, and will be boring the cylinders .5mm up to 79.5mm. I also have another trick up my sleeve, but will discuss that when I get there. I know these sleeves are paper thin, so I am expecting to push the limits with this engine, and go sleeved on the next engine.

I already have most of the bottom end parts planned out (or purchased), but the head is still untouched. I want to do Stage 2 cams, valves, springs and some mild port work, but again, I'll discuss that when I get there. I purchased a brand new Ford crank, timing gear and crank pulley and sent them to Speed Perf6rmanc3 to be keyed. Those should be coming back any day.

Bottom end build is as follows:

CSS block
Wiseco pistons
K1 rods
All ARP hardware
King Race bearings
OEM oil pump
oem crank (keyed)

Here are some photos of the progress and where it stands now.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #2
UPDATE - 12/7/2022

As I was mentioning in one of my last few posts, I have slightly changed direction with this build. The last track day I attended was VERY hot and put a LOT of abuse on my engine and drivetrain (I'm not good at launching, lol). I also have been having issues grabbing gears quickly (likely synchros), and ended up money shifting it not once, but TWICE! The car drove home perfectly fine, but the transmission was whining. I have a spare trans and plan to install it along with the new engine. Then I can diagnose the other transmission on the workbench at my leisure.

The new current plan is using the following parts:

New OE Ford engine block
Diamond pistons (oe 79mm)
K1 connecting rods
ARP hardware
King bearings
Keyed OE Ford crank
Pumaspeeed block mod shim kit

I took the new block to the shop, just to verify my measurements and make sure everything was good to assemble, and boy am I glad that I did. The whole block was filled with metal shavings in all the oil passages. Had I just assembled the block, it would have lasted maybe 500 miles, I would not have been very happy. Lol. So for anyone reading this that plans to get an OE block from Ford, take it to the machine shop for proper cleaning! We also noticed that the main oil journal (that feeds the main bearings) was wide open on each end. Typically, the manufacturer drills the holes needed (through the whole engine block), and the plugs up any unused/unwanted ports afterwards. Well, they didn't do that here. Ford also does not offer plugs to fill these holes either. So we were left to tap and plug it, like shown in the pic below.

Assembly to come soon!

block.jpg plug.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #3
UPDATE - 1/20/2023

The block is assembled and we are now working on the head. It was first stripped of all the oem parts and cleaned. I happen to have a connection with one of the top porters in the country (he has his own flow bench, and used to work for Dart with TONS of experience). So we gave him the head and let him have at it! He said there was a ton of material that could be removed and was very eager to see the flow increases. I wasn't stopping there, so I have a set of piper cams, and lightweight/performance valves, springs and retainers as well.

I also came across something interesting in my research and thought I would share. the stock valve lift of the 1.6L Ecoboost engine is 7.59mm/6.19mm on the intake/exhaust valves respectively. the Piper Stage 3 cams that I will be installing have a 9.55mm/8.41mm lift. So that is a decent increase of 1.96mm/2.22mm respectively. A bone stock Honda B16 engine has a (VTEC) valve lift of 10.6mm/9.2mm! That is a larger profile than the Piper Stage 3 cams I am installing! Food for thought!

Parts for the head consist of:

Piper Stage 3 (Rally) camshafts
Supertech Black Nitride Intake Valves
Supertech Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Supertech Conical Spring Kit and Retainers

IMG_5326.JPG IMG_E5325.JPG head1.jpg head2.jpg head3.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting. I'm looking forward to following along also. $1500 for a 120k mile motor seems a bit steep but I suppose shipping is expensive?

OP
J
Thread Starter #18
Isn't CSS still going to have the same problems as stock block, with those slots inbetween the cylinder walls cracking?
Yea, I've got an idea for that. Lol.

LA Sleeve does also offer a closed check option with sleeves included, but at $1,995 plus shipping both ways to CA it's a hard bargain.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Yea, I've got an idea for that. Lol.

LA Sleeve does also offer a closed check option with sleeves included, but at $1,995 plus shipping both ways to CA it's a hard bargain.
What is the purpose of the slots between the cylinder sleaves? I watched a vid from one of our tuner/builders forgot the name, he had a 1.6 next to a 1.5, the 1.5 had two little holes instead of the slot.