Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine Coolant

So I noticed my coolant is a little low and wanted to top off. Local dealer is out of the orange VC-3DIL-B it has now been replaced with yellow. He said would be fine to mix the yellow with the orange but maybe just being anal but would rather put the orange in now sure what is different about the yellow that has replaced the orange. So my question is should I mix something like preston orange in with it or just order the ford VC-3dil-b from amazon that seems to have plenty of it. Of course it is 10 dollars more for shipping than the dealer but if that is what I need to do I will.

GM and VW/Audi vehicles. For these applications, use DexCool because that's in accordance with factory coolant formula recommendations. Sure, the vehicle probably will be out of warranty by the time you get it and have to make a decision. But the OE recommendation is the safe way to go, and because you can easily obtain a DexCool, it's a no-brainer.

Ford and Chrysler vehicles. Here again, it's a no-brainer. Both companies have identified problems with DexCool, so use something else. G-05 is available in the aftermarket, so that's your choice for extended life on vehicles from those makers. However, if your second coolant is conventional American, that's fine. The recommended service interval is shorter, but if the coolant level is maintained and the motorist is not a high-mileage driver, it can serve beyond two years. In fact, Ford long recommended four-year intervals with conventional American coolant.

Japanese vehicles. This is a problem area, because Japanese-spec coolants have never been sold in the U.S. aftermarket and history says conventional American coolants work well in these vehicles. Toyota research indicates the new extended-life coolant contains phosphates to protect the water pump, and DexCool contains no phosphate. Honda has said it will not use a coolant with 2-EHA. So both carmakers exclude DexCool. Best solution with aftermarket coolants: Do a complete coolant exchange, and replace the Japanese OE coolant-conventional or extended-life -with conventional American or G-05.

So I noticed my coolant is a little low and wanted to top off. Local dealer is out of the orange VC-3DIL-B it has now been replaced with yellow. He said would be fine to mix the yellow with the orange but maybe just being anal but would rather put the orange in now sure what is different about the yellow that has replaced the orange. So my question is should I mix something like preston orange in with it or just order the ford VC-3dil-b from amazon that seems to have plenty of it. Of course it is 10 dollars more for shipping than the dealer but if that is what I need to do I will.
You can get the orange stuff on Amazon. Both diluted and full concentrate. I wouldn't mix the yellow in with your current coolant. Being a little low won't hurt you, just order some and top off when you get it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

slopoke

The proper coolant is one that is WSS-M97B44-D2 specification. Which typically is part number VC-3DIL-B or VC3DILB and is a Motorcraft part. I buy the concentrate and do a 50/50 mix with distilled water. So a 1 gallon jug will net 2 gallons of coolant.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS, especially for the mid-Atlantic region, headed into summer, at least until you decide to either flush out and refill the stocker, or decide to go aftermarket radiator. [wink]

OP
vmaxbaby
Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for the update... when I said low what I mean was the coolant is below the max line when sitting cool or even when hot just wanted to have my fluids topped off. Found another ford dealer that has it in stock and only 20 minute drive from my local Ford dealer so will go get some of that today.