Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine Heat

My thermostat reads normal operating temperature. No check lights. Brand new engine.
After driving a short time, then parking, shutting off the engine, I open the hood. I could bake a cake under there. Its HOT! Everything is too hot to touch. Even the hood prop burns my fingers.
My coolant and oul levels are fine, it doesn't appear to be loosing any fluid.
On a cold start, with the outside temp at 70?f, I get stream and condensation from the exhaust.
When I remove the oil cap, I see steam exit, and can feel air, like cylinder compression, exit the oil filler.
Is my engine overheating? Do I have a bad Head Gasket? What is the deal with this heat?

Do you have an A/P? It will show you all kinds of temps. Otherwise I would take it to the dealer to check out. A cold engine might throw off condensation while warming up.

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #5
Do you have an A/P? It will show you all kinds of temps. Otherwise I would take it to the dealer to check out. A cold engine might throw off condensation while warming up.
I wish I had an AP. I don't have the $$ for it right now.

me32

1000 Post Club
You live in tracy. Its HOT out there. Eveything is normal.

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #7
You live in tracy. Its HOT out there. Eveything is normal.
Im in MN now. It was 84?f. Im going to Ford. I have been under the hood in the summer before and never has it ever felt this hot.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hmmm... Are you paranoid since your last engine overheated without warning?

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #12
Hmmm... Are you paranoid since your last engine overheated without warning?
Yes
"Customer states car feels hot under hood."
How else should I say it. The dissipation of heat emitting from the radiator exceeds my expectations. Prior experience with an engine failure caused by overheating produced less heat at the time of breakdown. Furthermore, I do not appreciate your condescending attitude. I am asking if anyone else has noticed a similar condition with their vehicle.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
buy an infrared, non-contact thermometer from Harbor Freight. About $30.00.

XuperXero

Using OBD dongle, I've seen 900 degrees Celsius (1652 F) on my Cat temp, since there's about 6 inch distance between cat and turbo, I'm guessing Turbo temp is higher than that and guess where the turbo is? Right under the hood behind the engine block and where does heat go? Up right in your face when you open the hood...