Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Explain how I'm wrong to think 225/45/15s will fit on my lowered FiST.

I have an s280 big turbo now, and I'm in search of traction. I'm getting a limited slip differential at the same time I put my summer wheels/tires on, but I still want to go as wide as I can get away with.

My logic is this:

I'm going down to OZ Ultraleggera 15x7 42mm wheels.

According to the tire size calculator I'm looking at,

The top of the tire
to the fender well is:
6mm Farther

The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is:
4.5mm Closer

The outer sidewall is:
15.5mm Farther Out

So since the tire is 23.0" tall instead of the 23.5" stock tire, it will be a bit farther from the top of the fender well, which is good because I have Whiteline 1.25" lowering springs, and I'm rubbing a little bit on the fender liner with my winter 23.7" tall tires (195/50/16).

I'm thinking the fitment will be fine, just a tiny bit closer to the suspension (4.5mm) and then stick out a little over half an inch (15.5mm) farther than the stock wheels, which doesn't seem like much. I definitely don't want the Mexican Stance look.

What say ye? If these don't fit, my 2nd option is 215/45/16s, also on Ultraleggeras.

PS: I realize the wheels are a bit on the narrow side for a 225, but the wheel width recommendation is 7.0-8.5", so I should be fine. Should also give it a little extra meatiness to the look with the tires being almost an inch wider on each side than the wheels. Mmmm…extra meaty....

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Your not wrong. You would have more an issue with the 16s if any but even the 16s should fit. Remember, stock spare size is 185-60-15. Big emphasis on that 60. Meaning a 45 should clear with no issues. The 60 is the same height as a 17.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Also 225 on a 7 inch rim is fairly common and just the max nominal size for that rim. Doesn't mean you can't fit bigger but it's the max size you can fit without serious issues. You should be fine bro.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Personally I'm running 215-40-17s lowered and have no issues with it fitting and will be moving up to 225s soon. Currently running Megan racing coils. Lowered half an inch to 1 inch.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would not put 225’s on a 7 on a 8 sure but a 7 is really narrow for a 225 IMHO. As for rubbing on a 15 I doubt you would. There are guys that even have tried 225/50 15’s.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I would not put 225’s on a 7 on a 8 sure but a 7 is really narrow for a 225 IMHO. As for rubbing on a 15 I doubt you would. There are guys that even have tried 225/50 15’s.
This. You'll get better performance out of more appropriately matching tire width to wheel width. I vaguely recall a grassroots motorsports article with an autocross miata where they very clearly demonstrate this, i'll see if i can dig it up

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would not put 225’s on a 7 on a 8 sure but a 7 is really narrow for a 225 IMHO.
Basically, I FULLY agree, for optimal performance. [thumb]

But, how many fox body 5.0s left the factory on 15x7s with 225s on them (granted, yes, they were 60 profile)??
Even when they went to a 16x7, they still put a 225/55 on them.

YES, FAR, FAR, FAR from optimal, but it has been done. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Basically, I FULLY agree, for optimal performance. [thumb]

But, how many fox body 5.0s left the factory on 15x7s with 225s on them (granted, yes, they were 60 profile)??
Even when they went to a 16x7, they still put a 225/55 on them.

YES, FAR, FAR, FAR from optimal, but it has been done. [wink]
Ya and I can and will put a 225 on a 9 hahahhahaha I would rather stretch a little than bulge , a little stretch gives me turn in. Bulge just makes the sidewall roll over on itself.:LOL:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey, if you can fit them on the car, or do what's needed to fit them (flares, fender pulling, etc.) then all the more power to ya! [twothumb]

OP
D
Thread Starter #14
I'm not looking for the absolute best performance as far as autocross. The most spirited driving I do is just long drives out in the mountains. As long as it doesn't damage the tire or pop off the rim, I'm good. And considering 7-8.5" is the wheel width range recommended by the tire manufacturer, it sounds like I should be fine with 15x7.0.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #16
Turns out I wasn't wrong. The 225/45/15 Toyo Proxes R1Rs are installed and there's no rubbing whatsoever, nor do the tires stick out the sides at all. I have Whiteline front camber bolts and DNA Racing rear camber plates giving me ~1.5 degrees of negative camber in the front and ~2.0 degrees in the rear.

Man, these tires are awesome. Took her for a long twisty drive yesterday, and the grip is incredible. And the OZ Ultraleggeras look amazing, too.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Turns out I wasn't wrong. The 225/45/15 Toyo Proxes R1Rs are installed and there's no rubbing whatsoever, nor do the tires stick out the sides at all. I have Whiteline front camber bolts and DNA Racing rear camber plates giving me ~1.5 degrees of negative camber in the front and ~2.0 degrees in the rear.

Man, these tires are awesome. Took her for a long twisty drive yesterday, and the grip is incredible. And the OZ Ultraleggeras look amazing, too.
If you went up to a 16" wheel, do you see any issues/concerns?

OP
D
Thread Starter #18
If you went up to a 16" wheel, do you see any issues/concerns?
I do. The smallest diameter 225width tires they make on 16s are 24 inches tall, a full inch taller than my 15s. They would not fit with my lowering springs.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, I would make SURE that you can go to at least factory ride height when using 225/45-16s, which is almost impossible to do with these cars on anything but factory springs and a very few sets of coil overs out there (some have had luck asking Fortune Auto to build them a set of their 500s, or 510s, with that ride height capability [wink]).

The only other way around this is with spacers at the top mounts of the dampers/coil overs on setups which only allow (usually MUCH) lower than factory ride height at their maximum functional ride height adjustments.