Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Extended range fuel tank?

Anyone know how of an extended range fuel tank? I miss the long range of my old ride. The fiesta fuel tank is teeny tiny. It would be nice to have a few gallons more capacity.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone know how of an extended range fuel tank? I miss the long range of my old ride. The fiesta fuel tank is teeny tiny. It would be nice to have a few gallons more capacity.
Buy a race tank for drag racing and then fabricate a way to connect it to the Stock fuel tank without EVAP codes......Or just buy a new car*

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could carry heavily secured race fuel jugs on long trips, but yeah, that will get sloppy/smelly, take up hatch space, and be fairly unsafe. [:(]

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
You guys are killing me. Extended range tanks are a thing with pickups. Am I the only person who feels like I am driving a motorcycle because the range is so short?

You guys are killing me. Extended range tanks are a thing with pickups. Am I the only person who feels like I am driving a motorcycle because the range is so short?
I mean. It makes sense on a truck when towing a trailer will impact mileage and pulling into a gas station with a trailer is a pain in the ass.
But on a small car like this? I get usually around 300mi and stopping at a gas station takes 5 minutes tops, I can't see how it's a big deal unless you're a diva that doesn't like touching gas pumps.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The answer to your question is no.
Also as you are in California, there NO aftermarket fuel tanks that are smog legal.
Most aftermarket parts are made to enhance performance and the addition of extra fuel would be a determent to the weight and balance of the car.

Do what the cannonball guys did. Fill your hatch with the biggest tank you can and plumb it in. You need a valve to switch back and forth unless you can work out the math/mounting location for gravity feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do what the cannonball guys did. Fill your hatch with the biggest tank you can and plumb it in. You need a valve to switch back and forth unless you can work out the math/mounting location for gravity feed.

I wonder if that would effect the mileage tracker ? Or if you would have to configure it in your head as it would be off due to the Aux tank?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I wonder if that would effect the mileage tracker ? Or if you would have to configure it in your head as it would be off due to the Aux tank?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Well I’m not an expert on how that works but I think the MPG would be right. The distance to empty would be wrong at the beginning until the auxiliary tank is empty and the gas gauge starts moving. I’m not sure. It would be a fun experiment.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I believe that it would as I think the the mileage is calculated with input from the fuel level sensor.

I still think this is a bad idea, as it would not only raise the center of gravity but also be like carrying a bomb in the back of the car of a daily driver.
Specific racing purpose is a different matter.

On second thought I don’t think it would ever really work. The inconsistency of it having to relearn for a tank it can’t measure would probably always throw it off. It’s been a while since I disconnected the battery and had it tell me 500 miles til empty. I don’t remember if it eventually adjusted on the same tank or I had to refill.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Based on experience with my truck, the miles to empty is calculated using the fuel level gauge sensor. So if you did an auxiliary tank that had a valve that you allowed fuel to flow into the regular tank when it got low, once the sensor/gauge settled on the new tank level, it will recalculate the miles to empty.

The only time I ever needed to carry extra gas in a car was when I drove to Deadhorse on the Dalton in my WRX because there weren't any gas stations for a couple hundred miles. I used some FAA certified bladders my pilot brother uses in his bush plane, and it worked like a charm. Still, I had to stop on the side of the road and pour in that sweet 90 that counts as premium up here (remote places usually just have 87).
I don't understand why you couldn't just stop at a gas station.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Here is the truth.....I usually need a fluid "adjustment" before my Fifi does. At usually well over 34 mpg highway my bladder has issues before the gas tank! And if the constant coffee drinking wife is along I'll be filling up with gas at 1/2 tank levels!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Here is the truth.....I usually need a fluid "adjustment" before my Fifi does. At usually well over 34 mpg highway my bladder has issues before the gas tank! And if the constant coffee drinking wife is along I'll be filling up with gas at 1/2 tank levels!
You're not the only one and I'm only 30. Damn small bladder.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk