Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Extended range fuel tank?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here is the truth.....I usually need a fluid "adjustment" before my Fifi does. At usually well over 34 mpg highway my bladder has issues before the gas tank! And if the constant coffee drinking wife is along I'll be filling up with gas at 1/2 tank levels!
Being 65, and having had severe BPH in my 50s, and then Stage 1 prostate cancer after that (with intense focused beam radiation treatment for 45 straight days in order to stop it, and then the resultant inflammation from THAT), yeah, I can relate. [wink] [:(]

You are close enough to the 'corny' midwest to have a proliferation of E85 stations on your side of the state. [driving]
We are not so lucky on this side. [:(]
I think my profile still says Pittsburgh, I’m in Denver Colorado now. There is an e85 joint 20 mins down the road :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are killing me. Extended range tanks are a thing with pickups. Am I the only person who feels like I am driving a motorcycle because the range is so short?
I ride a motorcycle from time to time and on a long distance trip fuel stops happen every 170 miles or sooner. I've managed to go 408 miles on the same route with my FiST. Now I will grant my old Honda 750 isn't a true touring motorcycle but my brothers Valyrie was a true touring rig and he had to stop for fuel at 230 miles. If you think that going 400 miles between stops is like riding a motorcycle I would like to know what motorcycle you ride.

BTW, in large part the reason I managed that 400 mile run was due to Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York being a bit fussy about enforcing speed limits. As a result my average speed was 65 mph and I was driving in a solid stream of traffic going at that pace. This resulted in an average economy of 39.4 mpg.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The only time I ever needed to carry extra gas in a car was when I drove to Deadhorse on the Dalton in my WRX because there weren't any gas stations for a couple hundred miles. I used some FAA certified bladders my pilot brother uses in his bush plane, and it worked like a charm. Still, I had to stop on the side of the road and pour in that sweet 90 that counts as premium up here (remote places usually just have 87).
I don't understand why you couldn't just stop at a gas station.
That sounds like a fun trip. Is the road paved or are you driving on gravel/dirt/snow?

That sounds like a fun trip. Is the road paved or are you driving on gravel/dirt/snow?
it's chip sealed gravel like 95% of the way. I went in February, because the road is less busy and actually in better shape because its frozen and less chance of loose gravel. Bringing a CB was a great help- the truckers were actually really helpful, and would call out where any hazards were. The speed limit is 45 the whole way. I saw one trooper, in Deadhorse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The answer to your question is no.
Also as you are in California, there NO aftermarket fuel tanks that are smog legal.
Most aftermarket parts are made to enhance performance and the addition of extra fuel would be a determent to the weight and balance of the car.
I think the word you're looking for is 'detriment'. Sorry.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is the truth.....I usually need a fluid "adjustment" before my Fifi does. At usually well over 34 mpg highway my bladder has issues before the gas tank! And if the constant coffee drinking wife is along I'll be filling up with gas at 1/2 tank levels!
Leave the wife at home!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Being 65, and having had severe BPH in my 50s, and then Stage 1 prostate cancer after that (with intense focused beam radiation treatment for 45 straight days in order to stop it, and then the resultant inflammation from THAT), yeah, I can relate. [wink] [:(]
OUCH! My only problem is arthritis!