Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Failed axle seal at 7k miles

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been told by the Tech who did mine when they failed. There is a right and wrong way to install the seals. He had seen alot of incorrect installs and therefore they came back leaking again not too long later. Mine are still doing well and it's been 40k.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OrangeOregonFiST
Thread Starter #5
I've been told by the Tech who did mine when they failed. There is a right and wrong way to install the seals. He had seen alot of incorrect installs and therefore they came back leaking again not too long later. Mine are still doing well and it's been 40k.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Hrmmm, well they did have the trans apart a few thousand miles ago because the reverse gear assembly failed.

OP
OrangeOregonFiST
Thread Starter #6
I got my car back the same day I dropped it off. They re-positioned the half shaft, topped off the trans, cleaned up the leak, and test drove it to verify the leak was gone. I guess that was good enough. Time will tell.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car was also done in 1 day for the seals and the Whole replacement of the Trans after diagnoses was a bout 4 days. I still don't get why others have taken months...its like the dealer is dragging their feet.

Last edited:

TemecFist

Are the axle seal failures commom for all years, or just certain years?

Not sure, but I just had to replace my axle seals on my 2015 a bout a month ago. The new replacement seals that I got from ford looked exactly the same as the ones I replaced. So I dont think there was an updated design or I already had the updated design?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wonder what the superseded part number is now*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

My 2016 with 53k hasn't leaked yet. I check every oil change. Just waiting for the day but maybe the day she won't come, eh?
Ya just don't launch it especially on the low viscosity mtf's. I ran motul gear 300 since I bought the car and never had any issues, even with occasional launching. Then I decided to try running fluid that had ford specification Ford WSS-M2C200-D2 such as the redline mtlv. I ran the redline for one summer and then launched it once, and my axle seals started pouring, I was down a liter in fluid when I changed out the seals. Now I'm just sticking with motul gear 300.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ya just don't launch it especially on the low viscosity mtf's. I ran motul gear 300 since I bought the car and never had any issues, even with occasional launching. Then I decided to try running fluid that had ford specification Ford WSS-M2C200-D2 such as the redline mtlv. I ran the redline for one summer and then launched it once, and my axle seals started pouring, I was down a liter in fluid when I changed out the seals. Now I'm just sticking with motul gear 300.
Ur right. I've never dumped the clutch on this car. Every once in a while I'll rip and chirp 2nd but for the most part I don't abuse my girl. I did a fresh 2L fill of the oem stuff not too long ago. It continues to shift well and not leak. i think I'll stick to it and my driving habits :)

Did you personally change the seals or have the dealer do it? Im currently trying to do it myself and Im running into a snag getting the old ones out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you personally change the seals or have the dealer do it? Im currently trying to do it myself and Im running into a snag getting the old ones out.
Do you have a seal puller? And installer?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Crv

Mine went 200 miles before warranty expired...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed them myself. I just pried it out with a pick, don't worry about ripping it apart, just take care not to damage or scratch sealing surfaces. While installing, I just centered the seal the best I could, and started tapping it in gently with a rubber mallet around the sides slowly, making sure it goes in evenly until the metal flange of the seal sits flush or near flush with the housing, like you can't even fit a finger nail in between.

haste

1000 Post Club
I changed them myself. I just pried it out with a pick, don't worry about ripping it apart, just take care not to damage or scratch sealing surfaces. While installing, I just centered the seal the best I could, and started tapping it in gently with a rubber mallet around the sides slowly, making sure it goes in evenly until the metal flange of the seal sits flush or near flush with the housing, like you can't even fit a finger nail in between.
Yep. Nothing special. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to deform the outer edge of the seal and a pair of vise grips to pry it out. Like you said though, just be careful not to damage the inner sealing area.