Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Falken Azenis RT660 Coming Soon - RE71R contender?

the duke

Well I'm putting some Dereza DIII's on tomorrow. I'll add some pics soon
Just did a 2-day double header open track/Time Trial all weekend. While I killed my brakes and melted my centeraps, my ZIIIs did not de-laminate, chuck, or wear abnormal like these Falkens.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Just did a 2-day double header open track/Time Trial all weekend. While I killed my brakes and melted my centeraps, my ZIIIs did not de-laminate, chuck, or wear abnormal like these Falkens.
That's great to hear. Don't do any autocross but I definitely drive spritedly so it's good to hear that the tires last

If you don’t mind my asking, what size ZIIIs are you running (225/45/16?)

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #205
I beat the hell out of my 225/45/16 ZIIIs at autocross and they've held up fine.

Not as grippy as my RT660 (I have those on my FRS) but much better tire for "do it all"

wetwea33

I can definitely tell you my 215/40/17 Direzza Z3s are wider then my friends 215/40/17 RT615k+. His on his 17x8 Titans look stretched. While my Dunlops look square on my 17x8 TDs
Alot of that has to do with how the titans are designed. The lip on them is designed to always give tires the stretched look. But the d3s are about 0.6" wider.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I beat the hell out of my 225/45/16 ZIIIs at autocross and they've held up fine.

Not as grippy as my RT660 (I have those on my FRS) but much better tire for "do it all"
I know you have the B14s maxed out for height, but do the 225/45s rub at all/anywhere under any conditions, as it sits in that pic above??

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #211
I know you have the B14s maxed out for height, but do the 225/45s rub at all/anywhere under any conditions, as it sits in that pic above??
Yep, bad bumps and autocross is eating my front left tire. I've trimmed the fender tab the best I can, I've maxed out the spring perches. Only thing left is more camber and rolling the fenders. I have an appointment in early august to try to dial in more camber at the alignment shop.

Somewhat contemplating another coilover set (KWs?), I've read they can get near OEM ride height.

Little annoyed with the rubbing

It is one of the reasons I started a thread about sagging springs....seems like my rubbing just really got worse in the last 6 mo. Oh well.

But yes, RT660. Great tire. Easy to drive fast. Very fast. Wears too quickly.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THANKS! [thumb]

Now I know that I must stay at least at factory ride height, at all costs, since the A052s are a tenth of an inch wider (in tread width) and a tenth of an inch taller than the D3s in that size.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #213
^^^THANKS! [thumb]

Now I know that I must stay at least at factory ride height, at all costs, since the A052s are a tenth of an inch wider (in tread width) and a tenth of an inch taller than the D3s in that size.
TBH part of me wants to dig out my OEM springs and mate some B8s on there. Worst thing that could happen is that I dont like them and sell them for a decent price lol.

I'm realizing more and more how important some wheel gap is lmao. My FRS eats fender liners now, and its on a modest 1" drop and Konis!

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #216
FWIW, I took my FRS, running 225/45/17 RT660 to its first Autox Sunday. She did very well. Tires were really predictable, and extremely grippy.

I did not have the major center tread separation issues. These tires have about 1500 miles of typical hwy driving before any events, so they've been heat cycled.

Here is a photo after 5 runs on a very hot day. Front tires showing some wear on the center tread, but not nearly as bad as those folks that change to RT660s at the AutoX event.
IMG_20200812_182816.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
FWIW, I took my FRS, running 225/45/17 RT660 to its first Autox Sunday. She did very well. Tires were really predictable, and extremely grippy.

I did not have the major center tread separation issues. These tires have about 1500 miles of typical hwy driving before any events, so they've been heat cycled.

Here is a photo after 5 runs on a very hot day. Front tires showing some wear on the center tread, but not nearly as bad as those folks that change to RT660s at the AutoX event.
View attachment 33570
Maybe it has something to do with the steering wheels also being the tractive driven wheels on the FiST, as to why so many are having that tread separation problem with the 660s??
(Whereas that is NOT the case with the FT86 twins?)

Or, is it solely due to a lack of full, proper, heat cycling before being used in competition, at speed? [dunno]

Last edited:
OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #219
Maybe it has something to do with the steering wheels also being the tractive driven wheels on the FiST, as to why so many are having that tread separation problem with the 660s??
(Whereas that is NOT the case with the FT86 twins?)

Or, is it solely due to a lack of full, proper, heat cycling before being used in competition, at speed? [dunno]
I mean, when you look at all of the Solo Spec Coupe running the FRS and BRZ on these tires, without heat cycles, they all do the same thing - center rib tread separation.

I think its open shut on these tires as to what the issue is .

My ND has no wear marks. My fist has them bad from autoX after 2 runs. Both run RT660. The RT660 May just be a street and trackday tire. I don’t see them working well with fwd cars in autoX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk