Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Falken Azenis RT660 Coming Soon - RE71R contender?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Ayyy Pro Race 3s. Top choice.

These new Falkens are .5" wider than the old 615K+?
They are much wider. Look at the second to last pic. Both are 215/40/17 Falkens purchased this year. The RT615K+ has two track days on it. They wear incredibly well.

the duke

I'm now worried if I'd rub at autocross with that tire now. I've got a 40 offset, I could see clipping a fender at full compression/lock.I ran RT615K+ the past 2 years and they were great. 205/40/17.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
These wheel specs are: Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 17x7 ET38 with 5mm spacers. I imagine I’ll have a little rub in one turn at a local track that always bottoms out my car. The RS Pro didn’t rub when they were mounted on this wheel, so maybe I’ll be ok?? We’ll see.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, that was the only thing I did not like about the 615s, they were always one of the narrowest in tread width for any given size.

Now you have me wishing that the 660s were offered in a 225/45-16, given how they finally increased tread width over the 615s, and they have that square shoulder over the much more rounded ones on the Federals.

Maybe they will be in the future, as they are still releasing sizes slowly. [dunno]

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Yeah, that was the only thing I did not like about the 615s, they were always one of the narrowest in tread width for any given size.

Now you have me wishing that the 660s were offered in a 225/45-16, given how they finally increased tread width over the 615s, and they have that square shoulder over the much more rounded ones on the Federals.

Maybe they will be in the future, as they are still releasing sizes slowly. [dunno]
My buddy just put on some 215/45-16 660 falkens on 16x8 dekas. Looked good in the pic I saw. I’ll get some pics one day but I think they run wide for a 215.

Woods247

2000 Post Club

These tires are wide. I was certain they sent the wrong tires when they showed up. Anything wider in 17” isn’t going to fit on a Fiesta without flares. I scrubbed them in this evening on the street and there was no rub. Grip at WOT in 2nd was impressive. Every other tire blows off on my car in 2nd.

FWIW, I love the 615k+ and will always have a set as long as they make them. They last a long time (for 200tw) and are outstanding track tires for the Fiesta. Even though they’re a little narrower, they’re so predictable you can drive them at 10/10 for an entire day without any surprises. Their grip is acceptable, but I’ve been wanting more after hybrid and LSD upgrades. I bought the 660 to see if they’ll offer more lateral grip than the 615. I hoped the RS Pro would perform better but they failed miserably. Their sidewalls are marshmallows while the 660s are rock solid.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
When warm my Direzza Z3s don't spin surprisingly at WOT.

I should probably tell my friend to look into the RT660 because he has 215/40/17 615s on a 17x8 and they look stretched. My Dunlops are the same size, my wheel is the same size, and theres no stretch.

Just mounted these on my Mx5. They have a very stiff sidewall and are stickier than the RS4s they replaced. I’m very happy. If they do well in the wet I’ll be running them on the fiesta too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just got off the phone with Falken 'tech', and they informed me that it would be at least a year out for these in a 225/45-16 (if ever!), even if they get many major demands/inquiries about the size at motorsports/solo events.

So it looks like I am getting the A052s.

The one thing I did get out of the person on the line, if I can believe him, is that the tread width for their 215/45-16 660 is 7.9, which yes @Plainrt, IS fairly wide for that size, if accurate. [wink]
WHY all of these companies flat out REFUSE to give tread widths in their online/on site spec sheets is beyond me! [mad]

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I just got off the phone with Falken 'tech', and they informed me that it would be at least a year out for these in a 225/45-16 (if ever!), even if they get many major demands/inquiries about the size at motorsports/solo events.

So it looks like I am getting the A052s.

The one thing I did get out of the person on the line, if I can believe him, is that the tread width for their 215/45-16 660 is 7.9, which yes @Plainrt, IS fairly wide for that size, if accurate. [wink]
WHY all of these companies flat out REFUSE to give tread widths in their online/on site spec sheets is beyond me! [mad]
Which means you could probably run a 215 and be happy looks wise

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Which means you could probably run a 215 and be happy looks wise
Except that I actually want that extra .5" of overall diameter which the 225/45 yields, since unlike most others on here, I am not lowered at all, and do not ever plan to be, even if I get 'coils' (as everyone calls them), which will happen only IF someone can sell me a set which will go to factory height, at a minimum, with linear springs. [wink]

I 'need' that height to fill the wheel wells due to factory ride height, as well as the slightly taller side walls for the roads around here. [:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If u go KW suspension, they have a Universal Aluminum spring spacer +50mm. Maybe that will help???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. [thumb]

But I already considered those (and rejected them) long ago, due not only to them not even going to factory ride height sans spacers, but also, because they are progressive rate springs (according to THEIR VERY OWN tech department!!), regardless of how many on here claim otherwise. [wink]

So, I missed our opening event weekend before last because I wasn't happy with how are Covid numbers were looking, but I chaired our second event this past Saturday. The tires did pretty well- I was playing with pressures a lot, starting way too high at 35 psi square and slowly easing down to 31 front, 33 rear, although the back was a little twitchy. It's also my first event of the season, and I'm by no means a top competitor- I eked out a third place open class season trophy last year. In general, the tires were maybe a touch less crisp than the RE-71, with similar grip. Head and shoulders above the Rivals, and they seemed to worm up pretty quick. It was unseasonably warm- in the mid 50s by the time we got cars on course, but pushing 70 for the afternoon.
I could have definitely driven better- I was pretty stressed with the normal event running BS, and some course damage made us change the course after the first set of runs, which made for lots of drama. I think I'll be able to do better once I get the car aligned and get my head on straight.

The Covid crisis did keep the track closed to circle track and drag racing, so we were able to secure it for three weekends in a row- and the scenery isn't half bad.

IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG IMG_3630.JPG

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #137
Awesome to hear you like them. I hope to burn through my ZIIIs this season and then I may try the RT660 out.

So, second event using the 660s, and I am a lot happier. I think I was just driving much better, and I'm slowly dialing in pressures. I'm now using 31F:33R (psi) when the tires are hot. They build heat pretty well, we had a beautiful day, mid 60s and the course was our usual bumpy ass mixed asphalt parking lot(that we are super grateful for the use of, the owners are super cool).
I re-used a course I developed last year- about .487 miles long. It is really easy to dial in balance with pressure. I really need to get an alignment done, as well ( I installed camber bolts and plates last week and its hard to get it onto a rack.)

All in all, I think these tires are definitely in the same ball park as the RE-71R, and head and shoulders above the Rival S 1.5 in the same size (I can't get REs that fit 15x8 wheels), especially in the morning chill.
ARP__AX3_2020.jpg 2020AX4Raw.PNG 2020AX4.PNG

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well just ordered a set of these for my FRS in 225/45/17! Will have them a week from today on OZ wheels. Can't wait
Post a pic when they're on the car!

There is a Solo 2 FRS running out of the local tuner shop here with that size A052s on some 17xwhatever, gold colored 6ULs, and that thing looks GREAT. [thumb]